Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2023, 08:34 AM

5,583 posts, read 6,512,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Though some are pretending otherwise.
My husband ate at a restaurant in touristy Sedona, AZ that added a 15% "kitchen fee" onto the bill. Not a suggested tip, but part of the bill.

No. Just. No. They'll go broke waiting for me to pay that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2023, 09:15 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
That would be a good option but not categorized by patrons weight.
What I saw in some other places was something like: kids portions, small hunger, regular portions.
But weight is at least somewhat of an indicator of calorie intake. What exactly is "small hunger"? A small hunger to a 280lb man is a vastly different quantity of food than a small hunger to a 110lb female. Weight is the only thing that would give a person a rough idea. You know how much you weigh. If you are not that hunger, order a lower weight class.

Old 04-18-2023, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Who doesn't take their leftovers home? They can give huge portions as far as I'm concerned. With some places, I can eat for 3 days on what's left.

The only problem comes in if you are traveling. However, we just do picnics from home or fast food for that.

If you eat out at a fancy or "gourmet" restaurant near your home, be prepared to pay a high price for the experience.
Gave that up during covid and haven't looked back.
Large portions make the most sense if you are concerned about customer satisfaction. No one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to eat everything on your plate. Take home leftovers or leave them. Better for a person with a light appetite to have leftovers than a person with a large appetite to go away still hungry.

Old 04-18-2023, 09:27 AM

37,111 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
I visited Long Horn the other week worst food ever they pretty much emptied the salt shaker and dumped a ton of salt and seasonings on all the food. Texas Roadhouse from now on it is.
Longhorn allows you to leave off the seasoning if you wish. Just ask.

Old 04-18-2023, 09:46 AM

37,111 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
To whom. It's silly to think everyone, of all ages and weights, eats the same amount of food. What's too much to one is not enough to another.

I'll say this. When I was 20's I went to Red Lobster with my gf and we were poor at the time and for us that was an expensive outing so when the plates came and the portions were skimpy, I was not happy. I figure if I'm paying a lot of money I'd darn sure better not be walking away still hungry and I'm not ordering two meals. I've never been back and I'm over age 60.

Maybe menu items need to have a small, medium, and large option with some general guidance like "small - typically for those under 140#" or "large - typically for those over 220#".
Many restaurants do offer options.

You may share an entrée with another person.

Longhorn, mentioned above, offers some cuts of steak in two sizes.

Some have senior menus with smaller portions.

Or just take the leftovers home.

I do not think mentioning weight of the diner is helpful.

Old 04-18-2023, 10:03 AM

44,633 posts, read 61,638,098 times
Coming soon smaller plates to make your portions look larger.

Old 04-18-2023, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Coming soon smaller plates to make your portions look larger.
Except the portion size is ultimately judged by my belly. It isn't so easily fooled.

Old 04-18-2023, 10:10 AM

6,105 posts, read 2,728,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Longhorn allows you to leave off the seasoning if you wish. Just ask.
Apparently, they call it their bold flavors. Too bold for me lol

Old 04-18-2023, 10:47 AM

1,694 posts, read 1,275,186 times
It's probably a good thing for us Americans. We have quite the obesity epidemic.

Old 04-19-2023, 09:56 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,088,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I agree - would love to see smaller portions at restaurants so there is less waste.

I consider a good portion of protein to be 4 oz. A generous portion is 6 oz. Anything larger than that is too large.
Yeah, that is my general rule too. I used to eat ridiculously big proportions, but now when I cook, this is my plan.

Petite sirloin steak: 120g - 130g (4.2oz. - 4.5oz.)
Hamburger exactly 130g (4.5oz) That cooks down to about 3.5oz.
Chicken breast: 130g - 150g (4.5oz. - 5.2oz.)

I eat generous servings of potatoes and veggies with it. But I just can't imagine eating more protein now. I think people (myself included in the past) have very unreasonable expectations for serving sizes. Even with these serving sizes I can't lose much weight, but at least I don't gain weight either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products