Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2023, 03:30 PM

25,744 posts, read 12,824,670 times

Advertisements

I'm noticing shrinking portions at restaurants lately....for instance...

I ordered a Sea Bass dish for $42 that came with 2 sides.

The $42 price for Sea Bass seemed in line to me (for non-coastal FLA), but the Sea Bass portion seemed small.

I'd like to see what others feel is the acceptable portion range for a Sea Bass dish, measured in ounces.

The server tld me its all pre-weighed, & she told e the weight, so I know what the weight of the fish they served me.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 04-10-2023 at 04:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2023, 03:35 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,335,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

The $42 price for Sea Bass seemed in line to me (for non-coastal FLA), but the Sea Bass portion seemed small.

I'd like to see what others feel is the acceptable portion range for a Sea Bass dish, measured in ounces.
I cannot comment on what is an acceptable portion, but $42 for one plate of food?!?!?!

Old 04-10-2023, 03:46 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Shrinking portions could be a good thing. Finally, no more enormous plates!
As to the price? We don't know what size it was - you should take a picture. But like with everything else - if customers are willing to pay, restaurants aren't going to lower their prices.

Old 04-10-2023, 04:04 PM

3,145 posts, read 1,602,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

I paid $42 for halibut -- about 8 oz. no sides. It was delicious and I was satisfied with the portion size. In my area, fine dining restaurants charge additional for salads and sides. Halibut about $30/lb in the supermarket. Chilean Sea Bass is also about $30/lb.

Old 04-10-2023, 04:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Downsizing portions is just one of many ways to increase profits, others might just raise prices, or cut down on staff. We took our daughter to Olive Garden for her birthday Saturday, and had not been there in years. I was amazed at the size of the portions. We all took the remainder to go, the first time I haven't finished a restaurant meal that I can remember. My Chicken Parmesan took up most of the plate, and appeared to be two whole breasts. The price also surprised me, just $72 for 3 people. We eat out 1-2 times a week and I have seen prices go up but none that we go to have reduced their portion sizes. After dinner with a pint of beer I'm always full when we leave.

Old 04-10-2023, 04:30 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
I cannot comment on what is an acceptable portion, but $42 for one plate of food?!?!?!
I just checked the restaurant in Pittsburgh that my daughter took her father and me to a couple of weeks ago. Chilean Sea Bass is exactly the same price there --$42. We remarked how much more it would likely be in NYC. I actually got Branzino, which I think was $53. Sides, which we all shared, were extra. Amazing view and great service, though. Portion sizes were good.

It is probably a nice restaurant like the one we went to, not a diner or chain. Not that diners and chains don't have their value in dining out, but sometimes it's nice to have a real restaurant experience. I appreciate it because I don't do it all the time. It's even nicer when your kid treats you.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 04-10-2023 at 05:38 PM..

Old 04-10-2023, 04:37 PM

12,452 posts, read 9,540,640 times
To me the typical meat portion (when not just getting a big piece of meat, but as part of a dish), should be 6-8oz. It was a long time ago, but somewhere in a cookbook I saw a rule of thumb of 6oz - and indeed, if you look at many recipes that list number of portions yielded, the meat will be about 6oz per person. If it's nice meat and you want to be a little more generous, there's nothing wrong with 8oz though.

P.S. Here's a sea bass recipe I just grabbed online, and they call for 24oz of fish to serve 4 people - which is 6oz per person.
https://www.bowlofdelicious.com/pan-...ic-herb-sauce/

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 04-10-2023 at 04:45 PM..

Old 04-10-2023, 06:39 PM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
For my carnivore 8 oz would not make a steak Outdoorlover. So to each his/her own. Shrinking meat/fish has little to do with shrinking portions.

Looking at non-wholesale prices - 42/including sides/service/... not bad when the pound price runs in the mid 20s.

Old 04-11-2023, 08:53 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,226,396 times
I expect about 8 oz portions of good fish in a fine dining setting. If it's fried fish and chips, I'm expecting more than that.

Old 04-11-2023, 08:57 AM

25,744 posts, read 12,824,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
To me the typical meat portion (when not just getting a big piece of meat, but as part of a dish), should be 6-8oz. It was a long time ago, but somewhere in a cookbook I saw a rule of thumb of 6oz - and indeed, if you look at many recipes that list number of portions yielded, the meat will be about 6oz per person. If it's nice meat and you want to be a little more generous, there's nothing wrong with 8oz though.

P.S. Here's a sea bass recipe I just grabbed online, and they call for 24oz of fish to serve 4 people - which is 6oz per person.
https://www.bowlofdelicious.com/pan-...ic-herb-sauce/
Thanks! The server told me it was 6 ounces. Of course I didn't have a scale, but it looked real small to me. If I had a scale, I doubt it would have weighed 6 ounces. I'm not a cook, but it was the smallest portion of fish I have ever been served, & one of the most expensive, so I felt I was being ripped off.

I also ordered 2 side dish upgrades. I ate and paid for the side dishes, but sent the Sea Bass back, & told her the portion-to-price ratio was unacceptabe to me, being as nice as I could be. She was very polite, & took it away. I thought a Manager would come by our table, but none showed.

I doubt I'll ever return. It was my 3rd time there, & I ordered the same Sea Bass dish last time (~1year ago), & it looked totally different. They must have changed Chef's. My first 2 experiences there were A+, but this time C-. My dining companion's meal was fine, as were my 2 sides.

They were likely glad to see me leave, & won't miss me not returning. They have a very successful place that has been there for the entire 5 years I've been here. I won't write any bad reviews, because I may have had an isolated bad experience.

Thx for the replies. I'll need to reset my expectations, and ask for portion sizes, prior to ordering in the future...& bring a scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products