Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 08:44 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

LOL, anyone see this dumb a$$ commercial which is a obvious attempt to get you to spend money in their store after that check is cashed-lol

What fool would go out of their way to cash a paycheck at Walmart with all the banks in the world? I have seen it all now,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 09:06 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
LOL, anyone see this dumb a$$ commercial which is a obvious attempt to get you to spend money in their store after that check is cashed-lol

What fool would go out of their way to cash a paycheck at Walmart with all the banks in the world? I have seen it all now,
What fool would think that a bank would cash a check if you don't have an account with them? Cause the don't

If you paid any attention to the real world, you would know that many people do not have accounts at banks, and do rely on check cashing businesses, that do charge significantly more.

And if ever bothered to think about why they would offer such a service, they now have a person in their store with cash in their hand.

But there is the rub, thinking

Old 09-06-2009, 09:09 PM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
Lots of people do not have checking accounts and 3.00 is a lot less than some of the other places.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
Lots of people do not have checking accounts and 3.00 is a lot less than some of the other places.
But they are trying to get you to spend money in their store after the $3.00

Old 09-06-2009, 09:17 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
But they are trying to get you to spend money in their store after the $3.00
OK, I'll type slowly so the concept can be followed.
  1. A person goes to work to earn money.
  2. The person is paid money for their work, with a pay check.
  3. The person needs cash to buy stuff, so they cash the check.
  4. Now the person has cash to buy stuff, and they are in a store that sells stuff.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:30 PM

320 posts, read 1,070,150 times
You need identification to open up a bank account......a valid driver's license. There are (unfortunately) a lot of....."visitors"......to the area that do not have this and are not bothering to take the proper steps to get one. So, they use check cashing places.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:48 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloaf View Post
You need identification to open up a bank account......a valid driver's license. There are (unfortunately) a lot of....."visitors"......to the area that do not have this and are not bothering to take the proper steps to get one. So, they use check cashing places.
According to their website, a Social Security # and photo i.d. are required.
Walmart.com: Wal-Mart MoneyCenter: Check Cashing

Old 09-06-2009, 09:49 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
There are many people who do not have bank accounts. Social Security has problems with these people because the government does not want to issue checks. Checks are easier to steal. Social Security has a program where they set you up with a debit card system and then deposit the money into the account. The recipient can make withdrawals without any fees. Yet, many people still want the check. The mail carrier tells me he runs into these people every month and if the check does not show, they are like angry dogs. He even tells me in his post office that many employees want the check in hand.

Some people absolutely refuse to set up automatic deposits to their bank accounts, even when they have them. They want their payroll check. They want the tax refund by check. Of course many of these people distrust electronic payment. They do not know that checks eventually are cleared electronically and today the actual check does not have to be presented to be cleared. Some do have computers and do not understand. Walmart is offering just another service for them to pay their bills electronically--There is nothing wrong wih that. Grocery stores have been doing in for years with electronic payment systems.

Even food stamps and welfare have programs that provide debit cards, and some states will not give cash.

I think to get a paid by a check is foolish today. I hate when someone gives me a check, then I got to go to the bank or deposit it at an ATM. Give me cash or transfer the funds to my accounts.

Livecontent

Old 09-06-2009, 09:52 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:

WOW, once again you have missed the point.

There are alot of people out there who can't afford to have a checking account and places like check cashing Walmart and Amscot are where they go. You can also pay your bills in places like this for a nominal fee. Check and see how much it costs you to pay your electric bill next time you do it over the phone, it costs me 6 bucks here however for $1 I can pay it in cash at Amscot and the amount is credited to my account that day at 5pm.

Amscot is also cheaper for check cashing.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
WOW, once again you have missed the point.

There are alot of people out there who can't afford to have a checking account and places like check cashing Walmart and Amscot are where they go. You can also pay your bills in places like this for a nominal fee. Check and see how much it costs you to pay your electric bill next time you do it over the phone, it costs me 6 bucks here however for $1 I can pay it in cash at Amscot and the amount is credited to my account that day at 5pm.

Amscot is also cheaper for check cashing.

And my point is Walmart wants you to SPEND that cashed check in their store. That's part of the plan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products