Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 10:15 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
How about doing away with PK's and ties and just keep playing until a goal is scored (sudden death)?

You do realize that the average player runs anywhere from 8 to 12 miles every match?

After 90 minutes, players are exhausted and you start to see a lot of mistakes from that. The game winning goal would likely not come from a set of skillful play but a error due to exhaustion.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:19 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Then by all means, let's have the WC title game finish in a tie. Both teams can SHARE the trophy.

I'm sorry, but you will NEVER be able to convince me that a tie is an acceptable finish to ANY sport, so don't waste your keystrokes. Is there any other sport that a tie is an acceptable finish? I think even the NHL got rid of ties. Hell, I think Tiddlywinks has a clear winner. I don't remember playing UNO to a tie. Connect Four may end in a tie, I am not sure.

You don't want to have the match go to PK's, PLAY BETTER DURING REGULATION!!! There has to be a winner and loser in sport. That's it.

The NFL has ties even though they are rare.

The NHL only get rid of ties because Bettman has tried his best to "Americanize" the sport. Once he is gone as commish, I see ties coming back. Ties are a part of hockey. What they have done to the sport here makes most international hockey fans cringe.

A tie is a fair result for a well played match between both teams. In certain cases, a tie can be very much like a win. New Zealand tieing Italy was very much a huge victory for the Kiwis while a big loss to the Italians.

I was pleased to get a tie against England. It was a fair result for a tough fought match between both sides.

Ties are a part of sport and have been for as long as sports have existed.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer