Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 08:48 AM

235 posts, read 528,558 times

Advertisements

I know theres a lot of people that is opposing this but I think its just about time they do it because this problem is causing South Carolina to benefit from an economical gain. As most people already know that the NCAA has a ban on South Carolina on post play as seen most recently when the ACC Baseball Championship tournament was taken away from Myrtle Beach and sent to Greensboro/Raleigh for the next 3 years. Possibly missing out on a millions of dollars of extra revenue makes me think in the pass decade just how much revenue South Carolina missed out as a state and North Carolina gained. Even though I still believe thats its unfair by the NCAA and NAACP for this ban to be placed on us because of something so small that the entire state should suffer, What are your opinions on the matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 10:59 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,003,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico020 View Post
I know theres a lot of people that is opposing this but I think its just about time they do it because this problem is causing South Carolina to benefit from an economical gain. As most people already know that the NCAA has a ban on South Carolina on post play as seen most recently when the ACC Baseball Championship tournament was taken away from Myrtle Beach and sent to Greensboro/Raleigh for the next 3 years. Possibly missing out on a millions of dollars of extra revenue makes me think in the pass decade just how much revenue South Carolina missed out as a state and North Carolina gained. Even though I still believe thats its unfair by the NCAA and NAACP for this ban to be placed on us because of something so small that the entire state should suffer, What are your opinions on the matter?
For those who don't know, the Reb Rag was only placed on the State House in the 1960's, as a show of solidarity against black kids being placed in classes alongside white kids.

That says it all.

So, I ask:

If the Nazi swastika had been flown above the Bundestag in 1960's Berlin, how would you feel?

'State's Right' issue, eh?

Old 08-12-2010, 11:21 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,578,562 times
It needs to be taken down, but me posting that here is going to do very little as long as our elected officials don't change their minds on the issue.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:37 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,029,075 times
Should have been taken down yesterday.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:21 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
mixed feelings here.

i think it was out-of-place atop the dome. it is not, should not be, that important of a symbol in modern South Carolina.

now, though, it is on an historical monument in an historical context. i don't particularly care if it sits on that historical monument, or not. It does not affect me in any way.

it is people who try and strongarm me into being ashamed of the confederate flag, are what make me want it to stay where it is, quite honestly. Calling it "like the Nazi flag" is representative of a thinly-veiled nationwide hatred of white southerners. Every big-mouth New Yorker and his mama has an opinion about what the flag really means to someone like me.

I think the flag stands for many things; giving in and taking the flag down would be a statement, that the flag actually does stand for all those hateful things, when to me it doesn't.

Last edited by le roi; 08-12-2010 at 12:34 PM..

Old 08-12-2010, 12:37 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,003,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
mixed feelings here.

i think it was out-of-place atop the dome. it is not, should not be, that important of a symbol in modern South Carolina.

now, though, it is on an historical monument in an historical context. i don't particularly care if it sits on that historical monument, or not. It does not affect me in any way.

it is people who try and strongarm me into being ashamed of the confederate flag, are what make me want it to stay where it is, quite honestly. Calling it "like the Nazi flag" is representative of a thinly-veiled nationwide hatred of white southerners. Every big-mouth New Yorker and his mama has an opinion about what the flag really means to someone like me.

I think the flag stands for many things; giving in and taking the flag down would be a statement, that the flag actually does stand for all those hateful things, when to me it doesn't.
But the reality is that it stands for racism; for working 14 year-old black kids to death for profit.

I had numerous family members fight for the Confederacy.

I am not proud of that fact.

Nor should anyone be of theirs.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:17 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
But the reality is that it stands for racism
it stands for different things to different people. that is the only reality here. people all over the world, across history, worked 14 year old black kids to death for a profit.

if we vilify the confederate flag because of slavery, then what becomes of the American flag? Do the Brits feel the same way about the Union Jack? Slavery occured under all three.

and assuming we rid ourselves of this confederate symbol, do we remove all symbols of the confederacy, or just this one? what is so controversial about this confederate symbol in particular, and not any of the others?

the lack of logical answers to these questions leads me to believe that it isn't about slavery at all, it is about emotions, guilt, and revenge. A lot of folks out there want the confederacy to be the embodiment of American racism, like if they are against the confederate flag, then they're absolved of our collective racist American past.

Last edited by le roi; 08-12-2010 at 01:36 PM..

Old 08-12-2010, 01:39 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,961,139 times
Quote:
it stands for different things to different people. that is the only reality here.

if we vilify the confederate flag because of slavery, then what becomes of the American flag? Do the Brits feel the same way about the Union Jack? Slavery occured under all three.
Which of these three was formed and fought a war for the purpose of keeping slavery a viable institution? That's a pretty important thing to take into consideration.

It tears me because I am very proud to be a Southerner. However, one can be Southern, and proud of tradition, while acknowledging that we are displaying that symbol prominently at the State House for hateful reasons. The fact South Carolina didn't feel the need to fly the Confederate Navel Jack until 1962 is all you need to know about the intent behind that action.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:58 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
For those who don't know, the Reb Rag was only placed on the State House in the 1960's, as a show of solidarity against black kids being placed in classes alongside white kids.

That says it all.

So, I ask:

If the Nazi swastika had been flown above the Bundestag in 1960's Berlin, how would you feel?

'State's Right' issue, eh?
Thanks for posting, as I was not aware of this. I know that the confederate flag symbolizes different things to different people. What cannot be denied is that it has too often been used as a powerful symbol of racism. The information that you provided cuts to the heart of the matter. Once we sift through all the denials and rationalizations, the truth becomes quite clear. The presence of the confederate flag on the State House grounds is (and has always been) a powerful symbol of racism. Yes, it should be removed!

Old 08-12-2010, 06:44 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,669,079 times
Quote:
it stands for different things to different people. that is the only reality here. people all over the world, across history, worked 14 year old black kids to death for a profit.

and assuming we rid ourselves of this confederate symbol, do we remove all symbols of the confederacy, or just this one? what is so controversial about this confederate symbol in particular, and not any of the others?

the lack of logical answers to these questions leads me to believe that it isn't about slavery at all, it is about emotions, guilt, and revenge. A lot of folks out there want the confederacy to be the embodiment of American racism, like if they are against the confederate flag, then they're absolved of our collective racist American past.

Great post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina