Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2014, 12:33 PM

12,922 posts, read 18,765,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
“Housing is all about jobs growth,” Mungo said. “If you don’t have a job, you’re not going to buy a house. Columbia has lagged a bit in job growth. We’ve been far outpaced by Charleston and Greenville.”

Source: The State - News, sports & weather for Columbia, SC
He needs to read the SC Department and Workforce's reports. His words are simply false. And your link labeled "source" brings up only a full-screen photo of Frank's Gentlemen's Salon.

The attached is typical of Columbia's job growth numbers for the past couple of years. In April the year-over-year number just happens to be less than Greenville's, but it has been rather consistently higher than either Greenville or Charleston's. I don't know what figures Mungo is belly-aching about. He probably just lazily believes that BMW and Boeing's presence automatically means what he claims.

http://dew.sc.gov/documents/lmi-mont...April_2014.pdf

Last edited by Charlestondata; 05-16-2014 at 12:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 04:53 PM

12,922 posts, read 18,765,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
So, you're saying that Columbia's struggling bus system is the major difference in Greenville and Columbia's respective growth patterns? I don't think so. Northeast Columbia should be proof enough that sprawl has equally no limits in any of SC's metros, despite how much you desire to paint a utopian image of Columbia. They're equals.
Speaking of which, as I said in another post, Columbia's bus system is no longer struggling.

More improvements on the way for Midlands transit system - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina |

Old 05-16-2014, 06:01 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
He needs to read the SC Department and Workforce's reports. His words are simply false. And your link labeled "source" brings up only a full-screen photo of Frank's Gentlemen's Salon.

The attached is typical of Columbia's job growth numbers for the past couple of years. In April the year-over-year number just happens to be less than Greenville's, but it has been rather consistently higher than either Greenville or Charleston's. I don't know what figures Mungo is belly-aching about. He probably just lazily believes that BMW and Boeing's presence automatically means what he claims.

http://dew.sc.gov/documents/lmi-mont...April_2014.pdf
You are right, the gap between the size of Columbia's non farm employment and Greenville has been materially steady for the past 10 years. Charleston has closed the gap in a big way, Greenville has not.

But, I am Glad to see Columbia's leaders get irritated with the pace. Hope this pushes the midlands' leaders a little harder.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:52 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
The bridge view is nice. So too is the skyline view when landing at Charlotte Douglas, or driving in from Central Ave, or walking from the ballpark trough Bearden Park with a 180 degree view of the downtown skyline.

As for what SC would do if approached about building a highrise with 4k FTEs.....we have seen that already when Daniel built the Daniel Building in Greenville. If a large project wanted to be downtown Greenville, it would happen somewhere. Downtown Charleston is not likely but there are other options. I doubt SC would turn down a large project just to lessen the immediate impact of 4k jobs. The state is not turning Boeing away, Boeing is buying more land.

The bright side to lower growth is that it allows for a longer planning horizon. The down side is that you are not expanding the tax base or employment base for the city/region.

How long is the backlog of road projects in SC? The state and metros could do a lot better keeping up with infrastructure. Nice to have a low gas tax, not so nice to drive on I85 and dodge crater size holes.
And Boeing is not in Charleston. Its in North Charleston...which is far more friendly to progressive building ideals and big business.

Downtown Charleston doesn't have, and wont have, huge towers. For one, the people don't want them. And second...the entire peninsula is built on creek beds on soft land. It may not hold the weight of such a tall building. And it would need lots of parking...which his already scarce on the peninsula, and we sure aren't in the mood to build 10 story parking garages either.

The longer planning horizon is just fine. The tax base and employment base are just fine...for the people who live and work here already. Does it limit the amount of NEW residents who can move here? Yes. And that's not necessarily a problem. Again...we don't want to be like Charlotte or Jacksonville.

I do agree on the infrastructure of the state being backlogged. That is due to a political climate in the state which hates taxes, and tolerates mediocre government. Some of that is being addressed by local cities, such as Mount Pleasant's massive overhaul of US 17, 526-Hungryneck, IOP/SC-517. Much of that was county/city funded since the state wont do it.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:31 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
I do think the South Carolina taxes are low but I think we are getting a good bang for our buck. I really don't want to give them more to throw away.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:45 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
It isn't higher than Georgia. We moved from there in 2003 and I am sure we pay less tax. I will check though. But state taxes in Georgia weren't high either.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
And Boeing is not in Charleston. Its in North Charleston...which is far more friendly to progressive building ideals and big business.

Downtown Charleston doesn't have, and wont have, huge towers. For one, the people don't want them. And second...the entire peninsula is built on creek beds on soft land. It may not hold the weight of such a tall building. And it would need lots of parking...which his already scarce on the peninsula, and we sure aren't in the mood to build 10 story parking garages either.

The longer planning horizon is just fine. The tax base and employment base are just fine...for the people who live and work here already. Does it limit the amount of NEW residents who can move here? Yes. And that's not necessarily a problem. Again...we don't want to be like Charlotte or Jacksonville.

I do agree on the infrastructure of the state being backlogged. That is due to a political climate in the state which hates taxes, and tolerates mediocre government. Some of that is being addressed by local cities, such as Mount Pleasant's massive overhaul of US 17, 526-Hungryneck, IOP/SC-517. Much of that was county/city funded since the state wont do it.
We get it, you don't want to be Charlotte......good news, you aren't and won't be.

Outside of building a highrise in downtown Charleston, the three SC based metros are doing a lot to attract industry and grow. They are attracting tax credits to build office buildings, relocating wetlands, flying around the world for trade shows, keeping tax rates at unsustainable levels, and many other things......SC is working hard to attract industry. Charleston is no different. This is one area where I think Haley has performed best. I don't see anything wrong with this other than I think they could do better.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:34 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
We get it, you don't want to be Charlotte......good news, you aren't and won't be.

Outside of building a highrise in downtown Charleston, the three SC based metros are doing a lot to attract industry and grow. They are attracting tax credits to build office buildings, relocating wetlands, flying around the world for trade shows, keeping tax rates at unsustainable levels, and many other things......SC is working hard to attract industry. Charleston is no different. This is one area where I think Haley has performed best. I don't see anything wrong with this other than I think they could do better.
GOOD!! You're right, we don't want to be like Charlotte.

Of course they are. They are just keeping it balanced with the interests of staying true to our cities' cultures and true feel.

Haley and the state level politicians are as corrupt as they come. Im talking about local governments when I say they are doing a great job.

Haley would plop a 30 story Chinese style sweatshop in downtown Charleston to mass produce gun holsters for minimum wage if she could. Thankfully, Charleston has a grip and wont allow certain things.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:09 PM

2,312 posts, read 2,960,316 times
Quote:

Of course they are. They are just keeping it balanced with the interests of staying true to our cities' cultures and true feel.

Haley and the state level politicians are as corrupt as they come. Im talking about local governments when I say they are doing a great job.

Haley would plop a 30 story Chinese style sweatshop in downtown Charleston to mass produce gun holsters for minimum wage if she could. Thankfully, Charleston has a grip and wont allow certain things.
Not all state level politicians are bad... the president of the state DoT bank for instance, he's good. Least i think he's the guy unless the person changed recently.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:

Highrise buildings are not bad, depends on the setting. Downtown Charleston is not a place for them, it would ruin the tourism industry.

But, I don't see the SC cities managing growth that well, the rates of growth are not leading the country....Charleston is not doing bad. The cities have done well at making small downtowns nice. Outside of that, roads like Haywood, Laurens, Woodruff, Hwy 17 and others point to a lack of planning. But, what one perceives as managed growth, others see as slow growth.

You are right about Haley, a gun manufacturing plant would be cause for a huge celebration by her camp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina