Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2013, 12:47 PM

730 posts, read 1,403,279 times

Advertisements

It is in Graniteville, which is the next area over from Aiken. But interstate wise, its between Aiken and NA. Graniteville and the west side of Aiken are growing. Sam's Club is being built right now on the west side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 02:26 PM

8,255 posts, read 13,393,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenites View Post
Slowly but surely graniteville is making a comeback.

'Dont call it a come back... its been there for years.......' (from the LL Cool J song Momma said knock you out)

I know there was an effort to incorporate that area a few years ago.. I guess they didnt want to get swallowed up by Aiken?

Old 07-24-2013, 02:28 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,949,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDew2013 View Post
I would easily rank Florence over ROck HIll which just benefits from being near a large city in Charlotte. I don't think Rock HIll has near as many employers as Florence. I think Spartanburg has a nicer downtown area, mostly due to the presence of Wofford and Converse colleges, but Florence is nicer than Spartanburg outside of the downtown district and less gritty looking. Spartanburg has the weirdest secondary roads and just kind of tacky looking in areas. It is also benefiting from being close to the 9th fastest growing city in the country in Greenville.

The reality is Spartanburg has lost 7% of its population in the past 10 years. The Boiling Springs area has increased population dramatically, but Spartanburg itself is declining in population, more so than any "major" town in SC. Florence has increased population in the past 10 years, probably at least 10 percent increase.

I think Florence might actually be bigger than Spartanburg in population.
Touche good sir! Florence and Spartanburg are dead even on population and Spartanburg has lost population....news to me!

I will say though that I still dont think Florence is a fast growing area though, not compared to our other cities (excluding Spartanburg apparently!)

Old 07-24-2013, 02:32 PM

12,942 posts, read 18,802,100 times
I saw a list yesterday that said Spartanburg is ninth worst in the nation for poor people not being able to make it out of poverty. It said that is unfortunate for a city that was once thought to be so upwardly mobile. For comparison's sake, Atlanta was tenth and Memphis was first.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:51 PM

5,492 posts, read 8,337,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDew2013 View Post
I would easily rank Florence over ROck HIll which just benefits from being near a large city in Charlotte. I don't think Rock HIll has near as many employers as Florence. I think Spartanburg has a nicer downtown area, mostly due to the presence of Wofford and Converse colleges, but Florence is nicer than Spartanburg outside of the downtown district and less gritty looking. Spartanburg has the weirdest secondary roads and just kind of tacky looking in areas. It is also benefiting from being close to the 9th fastest growing city in the country in Greenville.

The reality is Spartanburg has lost 7% of its population in the past 10 years. The Boiling Springs area has increased population dramatically, but Spartanburg itself is declining in population, more so than any "major" town in SC. Florence has increased population in the past 10 years, probably at least 10 percent increase.

I think Florence might actually be bigger than Spartanburg in population.
The Spartanburg area has more people than Florence.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
'Dont call it a come back... its been there for years.......' (from the LL Cool J song Momma said knock you out)

I know there was an effort to incorporate that area a few years ago.. I guess they didnt want to get swallowed up by Aiken?

There's been several efforts. Graniteville wanted to incorporate on their own, then there was a movement to incorporate the valley area as one town. People wanted something to unite the area, but long time locals still like to hold on to their own little mill villages. Midland Valley High School has a Graniteville mailing address, is in Burnettown town limits, under Langley fire district, and has a Bath phone number. LOL.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:26 PM

Midland Valley High School - Index

227 Mustang Drive Graniteville, SC 29829

Burnettown has no mailing addresses. Their street mail is 29851 Warrenville, SC and Graniteville 29829

Old 07-24-2013, 07:41 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,548,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Are we thinking of the same Greenwood? It's my home and trust me, it's not as urban as somewhere like Anderson. It does well considering it lacks an interstate.
The population may not be as high however the density in the city area is amongst the highest in the state. If it maintained that same density but had a population like Greenville, you'd see at least one 30+ story building and a downtown covering twice the space of Greenville's.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
The population may not be as high however the density in the city area is amongst the highest in the state. If it maintained that same density but had a population like Greenville, you'd see at least one 30+ story building and a downtown covering twice the space of Greenville's.
It's density is around 1700 per square mile. That's less dense than all of the sc big three. I grew up there and still go down there often. It's a long ways from urban. It's a long ways from catching even Anderson. It's limited by many things. Since its density is lower it wouldn't cover even the size of Greenville's downtown currently, even at the same population.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:25 PM

mattee01, I stand corrected. Greenwood is less dense than Greenville and Anderson according to city-data. The data shows it to be more dense than Columbia and Charleston, but that's not really true. I think Fort Jackson messes with Columbia's number and I think Charleston has been annexing and that makes the number look lower. Someone can back me up I'm sure. My point is. Urban Greenwood isn't. I love it, but it's not that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina