Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 11:32 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,925,191 times

Advertisements

Many of our smaller towns will need to work together and do a better job of it, putting the old petty rivalries aside, to keep going. It will be important from a jobs, education, and issues standpoint. Working together will help make running schools and economic development efforts more economical and effective.

An example is having two towns or a series of towns partner together for economic development in recuiting an employer. Instead of it just being a town of 1,000, having several towns and even a county bring the total area of being 3,000 or so will help.

What would help too is if cities such as Watertown, Aberdeen, etc. worked with other smaller towns in regional efforts to strengthen the region and not only their cities. Having a lot of the small towns nearby strengthened helps the larger cities in the long run and keeps the smaller towns somwhat viable instead of being the types areas that will be on life support in 15-20 years. If employers come to town, not everyone will want to live in the larger city if you get newcomers coming in. Some will want to live in the outlying towns and area.

I would like to see with Sioux Falls's growth that Sioux Falls reaches to other first tier cities such as Watertown, Mitchell, Yankton, Vermillion, Brookings, etc. and even a number of smaller towns to help them feed off of or piggyback off of Sioux Falls's success and help them to do even better. This helps Sioux Falls but also helps these other communities. There is a lot of potential for our region but we have to get creative and innovative and we do quite well with holding our own (and have demonstrated that well from time to time).

Cooperation will give marketing efforts long-lasting benefits and everyone benefits in the long run. Something to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 09:11 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
Chris, I also wish that the smaller cities would work together for the common good. The problem is you've got people in the smaller towns who were born there and are 100 years old and still have that old high school rivalry going on. Seriously, I can name two towns that are like that and it carries through to the next generations. If some of those little towns don't get moving, they'll just die out like so many have. Once they lose their school, they're pretty much done for. Yet, how can we afford to keep a school operating for 50 students?

Old 10-09-2009, 09:58 AM

There was another interesting bit of info in the newspapers a couple days ago.

The most distressed states are Nevada, Michigan, and California.

Four states saw their jobless rates fall~Colorado, Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina.

North Dakota at 4.67%, South Dakota at 5.3%, and Nebraska at 5.79% seem to be blessed and are still doing quite well. We can only hope that this continues.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:47 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,717,521 times
This morning I drove by the Work Force Center near downtown Minneapolis. There was a 3 file line going all the way around the block and into the building. Minnesota's unemployment rate is hovering around 8% still, I believe. It was kind of a sad site, but at least you know they were willing to work.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:57 AM

415 posts, read 972,758 times
Well from 4 months ago when Canned veggies were 54 cents a can, they are now 86 cents a can at the Wally world in Spearfish. Thats over a 30 cent jump per can. Couldn't afford to get any this month, good thing I have about a months supply still left. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Old 10-22-2009, 12:31 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHomesteader View Post
Well from 4 months ago when Canned veggies were 54 cents a can, they are now 86 cents a can at the Wally world in Spearfish. Thats over a 30 cent jump per can. Couldn't afford to get any this month, good thing I have about a months supply still left. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I wonder if that's a local thing? Where I live, grocery's have stayed about the same. I save all my receipts and I just took a look at some from about Jamuary time frame. Milk, Whole, $3.98 a gallon. Yesterday, $1.98 a gallon. So milk went down. Canned peas were $ .86 Yesterday, $ .89.

So some things have went up and some down, making it about the same to feed a family, here. gas is considerably less then it was a year ago. House rentals are down a bunch from last year.

So maybe we haven't been effected as much as others.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 10-22-2009 at 10:49 PM.. Reason: Can't spell for a hoot.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:50 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,717,521 times
They predicted that gas prices would be low again this winter due to less consumption. Public transportation seems to be very popular, at least in Minneapolis, and the new commuter line will be opening in a few weeks here too. It's supposed to carry 5,000 people into the city from the North Metro. Even less gas wasted, YAY!!!

Old 10-22-2009, 06:21 PM

205 posts, read 729,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Even less gas wasted, YAY!!!
And fewer emissions in the atmosphere...Double YAY!!

Old 10-24-2009, 01:50 PM

Alright!!! September's unemployment figures are out and here they are~

Watertown~6.5%

Yankton~6.4%

Rapid City~5.3%

Sioux Falls~4.9%

Mitchell 4.8%

Spearfish~4.3%

Aberdeen~3.4%

Vermillion~3.4%

Brookings~3.3%

Huron~3.3%

Pierre~2.8%

Of course, the rates are higher then before the recession hit. Sx. Falls used to be just a bit over 2%.

It's still looking good compared to a lot of the country and all we can do is hope and pray it stays that way.

They had a map in the newspaper quite recently. No. Dak., So. Dak., and Neb. were the only ones shaded with a low unemployment rate. Guess we're very fortunate.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:51 PM

451 posts, read 977,087 times
Hey there Jammie - I finally got a minute for computer work and was just going to do a search on those rates. I am so happy to see you posted them - as always - thank you for doing so /AJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota