Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2018, 02:59 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times

Advertisements

I must say that I am astounded by the number of people who have the necessity to deny we went to the moon. What is it that drives them? Paranoia? Lack of intelligence? The inability to recognize an achievement? I don't get it.

I can guarantee you that if we had faked it the Russians would have been all over it. The fact that they didn't drag it through the mud should make even the most paranoid conspiracy theorist become a believer. But by their definition that was a conspiracy, too. Yeah, the Russians would have gone along with that. Some need to study history and understand the relationship between our countries then.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:13 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I must say that I am astounded by the number of people who have the necessity to deny we went to the moon. What is it that drives them? Paranoia? Lack of intelligence? The inability to recognize an achievement? I don't get it.

I can guarantee you that if we had faked it the Russians would have been all over it. The fact that they didn't drag it through the mud should make even the most paranoid conspiracy theorist become a believer. But by their definition that was a conspiracy, too. Yeah, the Russians would have gone along with that. Some need to study history and understand the relationship between our countries then.
The Soviets were landing a rover around the time of the US landing so they clearly were monitoring telemetry.

Jodrell Bank tracked the landing itself via their radio telescope.

There are so many proof points and incremental successes leading up to the moon program that it would have to be a many-billion dollar, many thousand-person secret to be a hoax. As I’ve said before Occam’s Razor applies.

The moon landing was risky. Armstrong was told that if he couldn’t pull it off the first time to come home safely and he and Aldrin would get a second shot on the next flight.

Anyone denying it based upon being “hard” doesn’t realize the millions of man hours, brainpower and training that went into it.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:21 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Thanks for the reps and I know I shouldn't let that argument vex me as much. The LM is just such an awe-inspiring piece of engineering. It's butt-ugly, designed with the slimmest of margins, built to operate in one specific environment under one set of circumstances. It was the tip of the tip of the spear of the program. Each additional ounce here was paid for, dearly. It"s close to perfect in engineering terms. And ugly.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The Soviets were landing a rover around the time of the US landing so they clearly were monitoring telemetry.

Jodrell Bank tracked the landing itself via their radio telescope.

There are so many proof points and incremental successes leading up to the moon program that it would have to be a many-billion dollar, many thousand-person secret to be a hoax. As I’ve said before Occam’s Razor applies.

The moon landing was risky. Armstrong was told that if he couldn’t pull it off the first time to come home safely and he and Aldrin would get a second shot on the next flight.

Anyone denying it based upon being “hard” doesn’t realize the millions of man hours, brainpower and training that went into it.
The way I see it, the US designed and built hardware that could bring humans to the Moon. No one competent has pointed to any piece of Apollo hardware that couldn't have worked. So - either we have a situation where the US had the capacity and still decided to stage a colossal hoax - or perhaps the old guys had the nerve and courage to use what they'd built.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:00 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
Quote:

I'm going to have to say no on all these counts, but by all means continue to believe this if it helps you sleep at night.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:02 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
Quote:
Really, because NASA themselves seems to have "lost" it according to them. Perhaps we should ask the Russians if the dog ate their homework too.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Really, because NASA themselves seems to have "lost" it according to them.
NASA ran low on data tape in the 1980s and degaussed warehouses' worth of them. Out of a batch of several hundred thousand, the Apollo 11 tapes were overwritten.

Thing is, NASA isn't set up to cater to conspiracy theorists. The scientific output from Apollo 11 was preserved. Telemetry from a spacecraft that is no longer in use? Not really useful.

The amount of data gathered during a project like Apollo is immense, and data storage in these days wasn't cheap. Most telemetry is in the form of widget #3428 responding to input #34 reaching a value of such-and-such, and did it perform to spec? In the 1980s, nobody made that widget anymore. A handful of tapes out of 200,000 would have been awesome to have, but that's how big orgs work.There wasn't a historian on staff.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:13 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I'm going to have to say no on all these counts, but by all means continue to believe this if it helps you sleep at night.

I'm not ever going to lose sleep over anything brought up by a conspiracy theorist. There's not a single one who has a valid opinion about anything. It's like reading a comic book. Or listening to this guy.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:35 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You're right, the LM wasn't built by someone with a degree in architecture. Turned out that engineers were the better choice. Good decision, there.
Quote:
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Dane_in_LA again."
Quote:
I took care of it for you.
I gave him another.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:43 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Much ado about nothing. Translation: pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space