Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 10:04 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,272,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem22 View Post
As of late you'll also need to dress for severe winter weather conditions in Spokane…..bitterly cold, windy with windchill factors to -30 degrees below zero, and dangerous if you're out long enough in it. Sounds more like North Dakota. Even colder in North Idaho. Schools in Sandpoint and Bonner's Ferry have cancelled school due to bitter cold.
Yep. Much like the entire Northern half of the country has been experiencing this winter. In fact, we've had a very mild winter compared to the northern Midwest and New England. Last I heard, we had about 7" of snow, total, for this winter and 2 days with the temperature below zero. New York has had almost 2 weeks below zero with the whole "Polar Vortex" thing.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm happy I'm here, not there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 11:04 PM

206 posts, read 333,429 times
And yet compared to the area west of the Cascades (still within the northern half of the country) our winter has been quite harsh. If I wanted North Dakota weather I’d move there and enjoy their lower real estate prices.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:25 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,272,247 times
Quote:
And yet compared to the area west of the Cascades (still within the northern half of the country) our winter has been quite harsh. If I wanted North Dakota weather I’d move there and enjoy their lower real estate prices.
Really? Our weather is ALWAYS going to be more "harsh" in the winter when compared to Western WA. I think that's fairly common knowledge. Anyone who lives in WA state understands that Eastern WA has hotter summers and colder winters than Western WA, and in return, we don't have to live with the constant drizzle and oppressive cloud-cover and lack of sun.

Although I agree that Spokane's weather is more closely comparable to North Dakota than Seattle, you have clearly never lived in ND if you think ours is anywhere nearly as harsh as theirs is.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:03 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,536,396 times
Quote:
If I wanted North Dakota weather I’d move there and enjoy their lower real estate prices.
Have you heard about all the crime they have there because of the oil boom? They can hardly keep up. Prostitution and drugs are rampant (according to the NY Times). LOL if you think Spokane has winter anywhere near ND. Good grief.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:53 PM

11 posts, read 17,845 times
God dammit people. You are really showing your ignorance here. You have one week -so far- of cold weather and you are comparing spokane to North Dakota? Wow, just wow. Have you ever been to North Dakota? Place is always cold and windy (like most of the plains). How the fudge is North Dakota even in the conversation in the first place? Spokane on average is nowhere near that god foresaken place people call North Dakota. I need some intelligent and experienced posts here to not shake my head. To the few who understand and contributed, thank you.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:36 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman187 View Post
I need some intelligent and experienced posts here to not shake my head. To the few who understand and contributed, thank you.
You're welcome, uh, Wildman. It's good to be appreciated.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:40 AM

152 posts, read 366,832 times
Seriously, if you are comparing Spokane and North Dakota one needs to take a close look at the predicament they are in. I can understand the similarity, both are cold and godforsaken.

Lets compare Spokane with Kauai. Now that will make you shed a tear.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:50 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Dime View Post
Seriously, if you are comparing Spokane and North Dakota one needs to take a close look at the predicament they are in. I can understand the similarity, both are cold and godforsaken.

Lets compare Spokane with Kauai. Now that will make you shed a tear.
Now that was cruel.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:21 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,312,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman187 View Post
God dammit people. You are really showing your ignorance here. You have one week -so far- of cold weather and you are comparing spokane to North Dakota? Wow, just wow. Have you ever been to North Dakota? Place is always cold and windy (like most of the plains). How the fudge is North Dakota even in the conversation in the first place? Spokane on average is nowhere near that god foresaken place people call North Dakota. I need some intelligent and experienced posts here to not shake my head. To the few who understand and contributed, thank you.

Hahaha, you have no idea how much amusement I get out of reading comments from people in Spokane/PNW and damn near anyplace else in the L48 complain about the weather. A couple snow storms come through, a few days of cold temps and everyone starts squawking like Chicken Little!

If everyone spent just one winter in Alaska(many people cannot even take one winter here) they would come to have a great appreciation for how easy winters in L48 really are! Comparitively, winter weather in Spokane, hell anyplace in the L48 is far milder than even Southcentral Alaska where I live. My wife and I look forward to enjoying the weather there as soon as we can get our home sold and move south. 38 Alaska winters and counting are taking their toll on us middle-agers.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:41 AM

152 posts, read 366,832 times
AK76, I thought most Alaskans also have a place in Hawaii and flip flop depending on seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area