Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2013, 08:34 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,916,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite_limit View Post
Which is why USA has won the World Baseball Classic, right?

There is no guarantee that Major League Baseball is the top league. And what about Hockey? I have even larger doubts that NHL necessarly has the top league

Your reasoning is true and false in some cases. The main reason why USA sports use the title ''World Champion'' is because many Americans like to think they are the only nation on the planet.

Take a look at ESPNs yearly list of ''Best Athletes in History''. It's always loaded with Americans like no other countries even engage in athletics. The ignorance and xenophobia is sad.
Great, more America bashing. Why am I not surprised in a thread like this?

The MLB IS the top league since the best players from around the world (mainly the Latin countries) are right here. Same with the NHL. You talk about ESPN's best athletes in history like it's there are NO non-American athletes.

Frankly, it seems like a lot of you are just looking for things to b*tch about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 03:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,412 times
running with a strange shaped ball in hand made dis guy a man

Old 07-31-2013, 03:35 PM

148 posts, read 188,319 times
because the rest of the world has rugby (pretty similar to american football) and cricket (pretty similar to baseball)

EDIT: probably should have read the thread first as this has been mentioned countless times

DERP

Old 08-03-2013, 06:09 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,580,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
The "slow pace" is an exaggeration...
The 5 minute play then 5 minute stand around, 5 minute play then stand around...stretched over 3 hours is hardly an exaggeration.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:29 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,916,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
The 5 minute play then 5 minute stand around, 5 minute play then stand around...stretched over 3 hours is hardly an exaggeration.
It's not a "5 minute stand around" and you're not really supposed to just stand on a football field. There's a pace you have to keep.

People don't seem to get that the games are played differently. No, they're not jogging and running up and down a field at a constant pace, but football requires plays (like a chess match) while soccer involves making up plays on the fly.

Baseball and golf are what you would call "slow pace".

Old 08-04-2013, 12:21 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,414,824 times
But still, American Football is a 60 minute game dragged over 3 hours or whatever ... thats a huge stretch. The game is boring as hell to watch on TV if you want to see action. I am sure the game is better to watch live than on TV, but its a huge reason to why its not popular outside the US. Youre looking at an 8 second play in between a 3 minute advertisement.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:58 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,160,761 times
What is interesting is that Canada is the only Commonwealth country of any size not to play cricket and rugby to any depth.

Rugby players change over to American football, that is as silly as saying American football players would have the skills to play union.
There is no position that a American football player would make a good fist of in union with out a lot of training.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:17 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
But still, American Football is a 60 minute game dragged over 3 hours or whatever ... thats a huge stretch. The game is boring as hell to watch on TV if you want to see action. I am sure the game is better to watch live than on TV, but its a huge reason to why its not popular outside the US. Youre looking at an 8 second play in between a 3 minute advertisement.
If the game you're attending is being televised, it's actually worse to watch live than on TV. You're just sitting there in your seat twiddling your thumbs during the commercial breaks waiting for the game to resume, whereas at home you can get up and get a snack or a beer or take a bathroom break or whatever. If you try doing that at the stadium you're liable to miss the next 5 plays before you finally get back into your seat.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:48 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,414,824 times
Sounds like DVR'ing is the most exciting way to watch it!

When I watched LA Raiders (Yes its been that long since I followed NFL) on Channel 4 at 3AM or whatever time they showed it in Ireland the game was over quick. We had the usual ads that are standard to UK/Ireland and not the every 30 seconds there is a break like here I actually found the game quite exciting.

When I came to the US and saw the Raiders moved and the games were 3hrs long I lost interest. Having said that last year I got into ND somewhat and plan to continue watching. I still havent watched a full NFL game though, id love to go to one. Maybe it would change my stance like baseball did when I went to see the Astros.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:13 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,580,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Exactly.
If you're brought up watching Rugby, Soccer and Cricket, those breaks/pauses and commercial interruptions make it seem very slow paced and boring. Even though it technically may not be.

Another thing I don't like is the coaches on the sideline with those stupidly big headsets to communicate with the Space Station and constantly giving their 2c. Let the damn team play! In Rugby, Soccer and Cricket, the coaches watch the game from the top of the stands by the boxes. No headsets, no input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports