Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2013, 09:15 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times

Advertisements

in the NFL the players are all thugs
in soccer the thugs sit up in the stands

(see how that works?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 09:19 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,413,637 times
Indeed, generalisations are awesome. But most thugs in the in soccer stand!

Old 08-18-2013, 01:34 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,096,166 times
I cannot take rugby seriously because it reminds me of kill the carrier, which is a childhood game here in the States (I am not sure if it is played in England or the Commonwealth nations). Also, I am sure there is strategy in rugby, but it cannot come close to the strategy of football.

With baseball, it is the strategy, plus the mathematics of the game, that make it entertaining. It is the official game of stats and probability. Brits must think baseball is ridiculous because it is similar to a childhood game over there, rounders, kind of like how I think of rugby compared to kill the carrier.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:25 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,413,637 times
Cant come close to the strategy of American football ? Hows that ? Because they dont get to stand around for 10 minutes discussing tactics ?

Old 08-18-2013, 03:59 PM

245 posts, read 298,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
in the NFL the players are all thugs
in soccer the thugs sit up in the stands

(see how that works?)
So singing for your team instead of having a library atmosphere and for the whole game is an act of thuggery!!!

Old 08-18-2013, 06:25 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,580,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos1992 View Post
So singing for your team instead of having a library atmosphere and for the whole game is an act of thuggery!!!
No.
The ones that turn violent he means. Fights, start throwing stuff, burning trash and the grand stands even, stabbings...etc.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:39 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,856,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
Look at this way, if American Football was as bad ass as many Americans think, it would be popular all over the world. Fact is, it's not.
Not trying to be rude in saying that, it's just the truth. Sure it has a following overseas, one of my good friends in NZ enjoys it a lot, and is quite popular 8n a few countries. But it will never catch on like here. It's even losing steam here.
And Rugby is one of the fastest growing sports in the U.S.
So is Lacrosse. But neither Lacrosse or Rugby are every going to be anything but niche sports in the U.S.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:36 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,914,174 times
Quote:
Singing?

I'm pretty sure he was talking about this.....

Greek Football RIOT: Rampaging Fans Torch Stadium - YouTube

and this...

Egypt soccer riot video: Over 70 dead at Port Said stadium - YouTube

and this...

Soccer Stadium Riot - YouTube

and this...

Fans attack footballers on pitch, burns, broken bones, karate kicks !! - YouTube

and this...

Molotov Cocktail Attack against Croatian Football Fans in Greece (7.10.2011) (Unlabled Version) - YouTube

and ALL of this...

RACISM IN FOOTBALL DOCUMENTARY - YouTube

I would show fights at American football games, but seeing how they have a "library atmosphere", you'd probably think I was just trying too hard to top the other sports fans.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:12 AM

245 posts, read 298,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Singing?

I'm pretty sure he was talking about this.....

Greek Football RIOT: Rampaging Fans Torch Stadium - YouTube

and this...

Egypt soccer riot video: Over 70 dead at Port Said stadium - YouTube

and this...

Soccer Stadium Riot - YouTube

and this...

Fans attack footballers on pitch, burns, broken bones, karate kicks !! - YouTube

and this...

Molotov Cocktail Attack against Croatian Football Fans in Greece (7.10.2011) (Unlabled Version) - YouTube

and ALL of this...

RACISM IN FOOTBALL DOCUMENTARY - YouTube

I would show fights at American football games, but seeing how they have a "library atmosphere", you'd probably think I was just trying too hard to top the other sports fans.
Every country in this world has a football/soccer league even the US has the MLS with a lot of hardcore fans like The Ultras and The Barra so you can't generalize soccer/ football fans as every country (even city) has a different supporting culture.

Stabbing happened in NFL last year
2013 NFL playoffs -- Fan stabbed in neck outside Georgia Dome after NFC Championship Game between San Francisco 49ers, Atlanta Falcons -- report - ESPN

Baseball

Three Girls Invade Baseball Field At CWS To Capture 'Ultimate Selfie' - YouTube

P.S the Port Said Stadium Disaster (74 killed) was caused by politics. The (Ultras Ahlawy) fans who were killed were against the politics of the military regime in Egypt. Therefore, military and police forces wore civilian clothes and killed the fans after the game. Justice for "74"

Old 08-19-2013, 11:08 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,914,174 times
Quote:
Every country in this world has a football/soccer league even the US has the MLS with a lot of hardcore fans like The Ultras and The Barra so you can't generalize soccer/ football fans as every country (even city) has a different supporting culture.

Stabbing happened in NFL last year
2013 NFL playoffs -- Fan stabbed in neck outside Georgia Dome after NFC Championship Game between San Francisco 49ers, Atlanta Falcons -- report - ESPN

Baseball

Three Girls Invade Baseball Field At CWS To Capture 'Ultimate Selfie' - YouTube

P.S the Port Said Stadium Disaster (74 killed) was caused by politics. The (Ultras Ahlawy) fans who were killed were against the politics of the military regime in Egypt. Therefore, military and police forces wore civilian clothes and killed the fans after the game. Justice for "74"
Wasn't generalizing.

Just pointing out what he was talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports