Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 09:21 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Springfield, Republic, Carthage, and Pea Ridge Arkansa were hot beds during the Civil War. Wilson's Creek at Republic and Pea Ridge are both national CW battlegrounds. Historically it is a very interesting area.

The first year I was in Springfield I lived on West Sunshine and was in a tornado. I moved. I-40 and I-44 in OK and Sprinfield is part of a large tornado activity area. OKC, Tulsa, Joplin, Neosho, Pierce City, Springfield, and Pittsburg, KS have all been hit by tornadoes. These storms tend to move SW to NE and follow a general track of the Interstate routes.

Live 10 miles NW of I-44, or 10 miles SE of US 60 and you should be fine. Why 10 miles? Most tornadoes are not 10 miles wide. Five miles wide, yes, but not ten. Tornadoes can change its path. The straight line wind that follows a tornado do not change path -- and it can do just as much damage as a tornado.

The tornadoes that come out of OK generally split at I-71 and either go North into Joplin or South and follow US 60 into Springfield if it has that much power. Most don't. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 11:33 AM

260 posts, read 587,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
Well my Mom was very educated but was still very racist.She just didn't like Blacks or them touching her.I was living with a Black Woman,I remember Mom telling me to have my fun but don't be marrying the woman.

My Father in Law wasn't wanting me to marry my wife,called me a French N..... because of my Cajun ancestory

My Ex was Full Blooded Native American her family hated Blacks.

Just the way things were from the time I was a kid

Had Southern Cross hanging in my Front Room many a Blacks spent time with me nothing was ever said.It isn't about hate.

brushrunner
You mean you had the Missouri Battle Flag? You don't see that flag a lot. In Stoddard county there is a small Confederate cemetery that flies the Missouri Confederate Battle Flag.

Oh and on Heege road which I drive on to and from school a dude has a pickup truck with a Missouri battle flag bumper sticker on it!

Is this what you had?

Old 08-11-2013, 11:59 PM

1 posts, read 7,368 times
I moved here 3 years ago from Southeast Missouri and I can tell you indeed they are racist here not just against blacks , Hispanics, and Asians but also Southerners. It is extremely expensive to live here , but maybe not as expensive as California . The people here are the rudest , I've ever met except for in the North. There are only 3 different food chains here and traffic in this city is awful as are the drivers. Rent is outrageous , it takes hours to get a few errands ran, jobs are plentiful but pay only min . wage and usually are temporary thru hiring agencies. The weather is not hot and humid it hasn't turned summer since I've been here until after 4th and cold again by October, it rains a lot and the winds are every day and strong so forget a hair doo get a pony tail holder. The winters are just as wet and cold with the wind burning into your bones. tornados and severe storms are all summer long . You see very few people of other races any were except on the North side of the city with the South side being at the upper crust of the city. The city is not ridden with major crime petty theft and car theft are on a rise as is gang activity which is not of the violent nature with guns and whatnot. It is a beautiful area to look at , but terrible on arthritis, asthma, and allergy sufferers. It is very clean and if you have plenty of money there is a lot to do , if not you may get bored and possibly hungry.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:33 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genaharris View Post
I moved here 3 years ago from Southeast Missouri and I can tell you indeed they are racist here not just against blacks , Hispanics, and Asians but also Southerners. It is extremely expensive to live here , but maybe not as expensive as California . The people here are the rudest , I've ever met except for in the North. There are only 3 different food chains here and traffic in this city is awful as are the drivers. Rent is outrageous , it takes hours to get a few errands ran, jobs are plentiful but pay only min . wage and usually are temporary thru hiring agencies. The weather is not hot and humid it hasn't turned summer since I've been here until after 4th and cold again by October, it rains a lot and the winds are every day and strong so forget a hair doo get a pony tail holder. The winters are just as wet and cold with the wind burning into your bones. tornados and severe storms are all summer long . You see very few people of other races any were except on the North side of the city with the South side being at the upper crust of the city. The city is not ridden with major crime petty theft and car theft are on a rise as is gang activity which is not of the violent nature with guns and whatnot. It is a beautiful area to look at , but terrible on arthritis, asthma, and allergy sufferers. It is very clean and if you have plenty of money there is a lot to do , if not you may get bored and possibly hungry.
ROTFLMAO You are kidding, right?! If you are serious, then you are the problem and not the area. Sometimes we can go more than a month without rain, so it does not rain every day, as you said. We have had very mild winters, so it is not wet and cold all of the time during the winters, as you said. NO, we do not have tornados and storms all of the time. Actually, the Springfield area sits on a plateau so a lot tornados go around the area. Yes, we do get tornados but nothing like Joplin. Most storms do follow the I-44 route in Missouri. There are lots of people of other ethnicities and races in the area. Hispanic is not a race, by the way. There is no reason for anyone to go hungry in this area, as we have lots of food pantries and I don't know a person who wouldn't help someone that honestly needed any help. You forgot to mention the terrible ice storm that we had. It looks to me like you are just a hateful person and do not like being here. You might be better off finding someplace that is more suitable for you. Lots of us like this area and we don't need more Debby Downers like you.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:04 PM

620 posts, read 1,233,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Springfield, Republic, Carthage, and Pea Ridge Arkansa were hot beds during the Civil War. Wilson's Creek at Republic and Pea Ridge are both national CW battlegrounds. Historically it is a very interesting area.

The first year I was in Springfield I lived on West Sunshine and was in a tornado. I moved. I-40 and I-44 in OK and Sprinfield is part of a large tornado activity area. OKC, Tulsa, Joplin, Neosho, Pierce City, Springfield, and Pittsburg, KS have all been hit by tornadoes. These storms tend to move SW to NE and follow a general track of the Interstate routes.

Live 10 miles NW of I-44, or 10 miles SE of US 60 and you should be fine. Why 10 miles? Most tornadoes are not 10 miles wide. Five miles wide, yes, but not ten. Tornadoes can change its path. The straight line wind that follows a tornado do not change path -- and it can do just as much damage as a tornado.

The tornadoes that come out of OK generally split at I-71 and either go North into Joplin or South and follow US 60 into Springfield if it has that much power. Most don't. .
You have no idea what you are talking about. Tornadoes don't follow a highway system. Also a 5 mile wide tornado? Where did you get that from, there has NEVER been a tornado that wide. Pretty sure we got hit with a tornado in Branson last year and we are well south of highway 60.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:31 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,406,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about. Tornadoes don't follow a highway system. Also a 5 mile wide tornado? Where did you get that from, there has NEVER been a tornado that wide. Pretty sure we got hit with a tornado in Branson last year and we are well south of highway 60.
Well have seen a Tornado about a mile wide F3 follow a 75 mile path,run West to East killed 3 people close to us before it was done.It was the same one that took out Stockton.Truth in 60 years here I have seen plenty of Tornados and this was the worst.

What will get people here much worse would be Straight Line Winds.Lived through many Snow and Ice storms,many Floods and Wild Fires.

Figured all this is part of life.

brushrunner

Old 08-14-2013, 07:57 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,406,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoSouthernMan View Post
You mean you had the Missouri Battle Flag? You don't see that flag a lot. In Stoddard county there is a small Confederate cemetery that flies the Missouri Confederate Battle Flag.

Oh and on Heege road which I drive on to and from school a dude has a pickup truck with a Missouri battle flag bumper sticker on it!

Is this what you had?
No the Southern Cross some call the Reble Flag.

The Missouri Battle Flag several of my Ancestors fought under but I also call it the Gen.Sterling Price Flag too.

brushrunner

Old 08-16-2013, 07:34 PM

260 posts, read 587,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
No the Southern Cross some call the Reble Flag.

The Missouri Battle Flag several of my Ancestors fought under but I also call it the Gen.Sterling Price Flag too.

brushrunner
There is also the Missouri State Guard Flag too that was used for the state guard before Missouri was admitted by Confederate Congress and those men were absorbed into Confederate units.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:08 PM

164 posts, read 310,493 times
With a 95% white population, doesn't sound like enough minorities live in Springfield for the whites to have a reason to be racist. My guess is it's your typical medium sized, mostly white, middle class Midwestern town. Not too much different from Ft Wayne, Indiana, Des Moines Iowa, or Topeka Kansas. You'll be treated respectfully, and if there are racists there, they will keep their racism to their selves.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:43 PM

647 posts, read 1,217,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Here's some more recent demographic data for you. Springfield, MO - Profiles - Diversity Data - Metropolitan Quality of Life Data As for the rest, we moved here from the Left Coast going on four years ago. We live about 55 miles south of Springfield and less than 10 miles from the Arkansas border. If you have only lived in one place there will be some culture shock. However, we've seen and heard very little racism since we've been here. I wouldn't worry about it overly much. I will warn you, especially if you're coming from California, that there are no Trader Joe's, Whole Foods or In-N-Out Burgers.
There's Trader Joe's and Whole Foods up in KC if he drives 3 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area