Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 03:11 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,196,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
It made news just like the repeat of the
story of when a black man was hung on the old square - was it Commercial or was it Central? He was accused of raping a white woman. When I lived in Springfield the population was over 100k, and the black population was three percent. Living there was like being stuck in a time warp in the Antebellum South. The only thing missing was the mansions, the moss hanging from the trees and the Mint Julep. I couldn't get out fast enough.
It was two Black Men that were Hanged.the mob took them from the Jail just off the square.Hung them it was later found they were innocent.Before this Springfield had a large Black population.But they moved out.I didn't ever see a Black,go to school with one or work with one,until I left Springfield in '71.

Oh there still is a few Southern Mansions where Slaves were kept just outside of town.

I know it is a bit far from any Major city but you might consider Warsaw,I've considerd moving there.I have a Small place there,just go durring the Summer.

hillman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 09:52 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,860,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogter View Post
My wife and I are retired...we currently live on southern Oregon. VERY boring small town. We have looked at Carthage because of the "Oldness". We really love old vintage homes and stuff like that. We found a really nice older home for sale and are very interested. I guess Im paranoid about if we will be welcomed by the locals or will they tend to be standoffish. We're fun loving people and get along with most anybody. Been putting up with log truck drivers and rednecks for 6 yrs now. We want a town that has some character and good shopping that's not too far away. That would Joplin or Springfield. Im a woodworker and a drummer. I'd like to find some guys to play good old rock and roll with. My wife sews, gardens and cooks. She needs sources for those supplies.
Come on folks...gimme your input. You have a really lovely area there in SW Mo. We've considered NW Arkansas but I think it's more crowded..???
What's your thoughts/advice. Feel free to email me: rogter2 AT mycomspan.com
Thanks for your help.
You didn't by chance retire from California did you?

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 04-01-2009 at 06:31 AM..

Old 09-08-2010, 10:49 AM

6 posts, read 10,494 times
I was also thinking of moving to Carthage. I the cost of living, historic quality, and the reasonable commuting distance to a college appealed to me. My daughter will be going in a few years. After reading these posts, I'm not sure if this is the right choice. I am looking for a town with a historic downtown and village square. I like historic homes and really dislike condo's and apartment buildings. I like areas with a population of 5,000 to 15,000. I currently live in a small town where a short drive will take you out into the countryside or into a couple of minor cities with art exhibits, ballet, and plays. There are a couple of colleges within an hour's drive (one public and one private). The downside is that the cost of living is so high. Historic homes have been turned into multi-family rentals and there is a high poverty rate. The school system is terrible. The town was nice when I was young, but the pond is full of weeds, the gazzebo in the square is neglected, etc. I need a better small town. If you know of any please let me know.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:16 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,471,659 times
As a resident of Carthage, I can give you a pretty impartial view. We moved here when I was 15, now am 42. As an overview, Carthage is very proud of its historic homes and the courthouse. The square is still alive, though struggling. A few long-term businesses abide there, as well as some that come and go. We have a large Hispanic population, about 25% or more due to the poultry farms and Butterball plant. Generally everyone gets along, and we have some good Mexican restaurants and stores as a result. We have several families that come from "old money" but they have less and less influence as the years go by. A large percentage of graduates leave to go to college and end up coming back. We have areas of new homes and areas of poorly maintained homes. Most people will be welcomed as neighbors. It is a conservative area for the most part, so liberals may feel a bit lonely. You will be asked what church you attend. Most people's schedule revolves around church, kids activities and work. However, you do not have to participate to be accepted.
Do you have any specific questions? I will be happy to help if I can. Please don't let a few naysayers color your perception of a whole town. It's not perfect here, but no place is...

Old 05-24-2011, 08:23 AM

2 posts, read 2,574 times
As a TOURIST.. Carthage was a wonderful place to spend some time.... MISSOURI has Tornado's, no matter WHERE you are... I live in Central Missouri,, and Carthage was one of the neatest towns we've stayed in..... another with similar looks... was "Clinton".. a bit south of Kansas City..and to that LINICX person.... if it's so horrible, WHY are YOU still there?? You come off like some old Sourpuss Grouch!! You hate everything it seems, yet do NOTHING about it, bi *****! Shut up already..... YES, I'd move to Carthage..... Sheesh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area