Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 02:06 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post

Old 10-05-2009, 02:22 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaze View Post
This move is pending and will happen soon. And I am getting cold feet now. My pets are like my kids, because I have no children. As with anyone who wants to protect their family (with human children), I want to make sure they are safe wherever I move them to. Branson/Blue Eye area is my direction. Not only am I californian..I am also stubborn as a missouri mule (from my mothers side, who came from Edina area).
The threads I've been reading are mostly Debbie Downers. So yeah..I want some sugar coating as well.
If it's any help, we just moved from NorCal to Table Rock Lake with a Blue Eye mailing address. We're right on the lake about 23 miles SW of Branson. I don't think you have anything to fear regarding your animals save for racoons, skunks and coyotes so I wouldn't let them run free.

Understand that it's a 20 mile trip to do any shopping of note so we're decidedly rural. In the end, it's all a matter of choice. We chose peace, quiet, solitude, a beautiful setting, low crime, no traffic and living close to and amid nature, including tortoises, squirrels, opposoms, rabbits, deer, chipmunks as well as the above animals. Add friendly neighbors and almost retro social mores and we're home.

That's our sugar coating.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:09 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,563,138 times
Quote:
I am pure Californian through and through .
Why do you want to leave that wonderful place? If you're pure Californian (and obviously proud of it), it's where you fit the best. So why move to a place where you're fretting you might not fit? This makes no sense to me.

Quote:
My dad ... raised me to be a decent woman, because he was a decent man. He also raised me to not ... hurt God's creature because I have the title of "human" and am therefore some kind of powerful being that masters them all...
I don't want to hurt God's creatures; I want to kill them and eat them. I am not alone in that. Lots of us see fish, fowl and furbearers as God's gifts to our palates and stomachs. Will it bother you knowing that many of your neighbors like to kill and eat animals?

Quote:
This move is pending and will happen soon. And I am getting cold feet now. My pets are like my kids, because I have no children. As with anyone who wants to protect their family (with human children), I want to make sure they are safe wherever I move them to. Branson/Blue Eye area is my direction. Not only am I californian..I am also stubborn as a missouri mule (from my mothers side, who came from Edina area).
What kind of pets do you have? Are you afraid we're going to kill and eat them?

If you're having second thoughts, you ought to reconsider this move. It sounds to me like you're a proud Californian and Californy is the place you ought to be.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:37 PM

27 posts, read 58,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Why do you want to leave that wonderful place? If you're pure Californian (and obviously proud of it), it's where you fit the best. So why move to a place where you're fretting you might not fit? This makes no sense to me.

I don't want to hurt God's creatures; I want to kill them and eat them. I am not alone in that. Lots of us see fish, fowl and furbearers as God's gifts to our palates and stomachs. Will it bother you knowing that many of your neighbors like to kill and eat animals?

What kind of pets do you have? Are you afraid we're going to kill and eat them?

If you're having second thoughts, you ought to reconsider this move. It sounds to me like you're a proud Californian and Californy is the place you ought to be.

Well aren't you the welcoming wagon? Not.
I am having second thoughts because of nice good ol boy's just like yourself.
You assume much. Therefore, you are not really worth my time to seek advice from.

To the others who have been polite and understanding, thank you. A bit about me and where I am:
I live on the central coast. Rent is atrocious. Hubby is retiring soon and we are very tired of having to have roommates just to make the rent. The cost of living in the area we are considering moving to is much better than what it is here. Why Mo and on the Arkansas border? Why not? I cannot have the ocean to listen to the surf any more once we move...so a lake will suffice.
The town I live in is small. A suburb, actually. To shop, we must drive 15 miles where there are better choices in foods, merchandise, etc. Sure, there are little markets and whatnot here, but they are double the price anywhere else.
We have lots of critters around here...and coyote too. My furkids stay in the large fenced yard. We walk often, down to the bay. This small town is FurKid City, actually. I think every resident in this town walks in the evening down to the pier, with every pet in this town with them. Low crime here...nobody has to lock their doors. Its beautiful. But there is a price to pay to live here..and we just cannot afford it and are too old to deal with roomies going to college. We are old...and want peace and quiet now.
I am not in to the night life scene. I rarely go out to dinner, but if I do, it is usually to some mom and pop place. I hate walmart and big box stores. I like to shop local when I can, but when it comes to major food shopping, I have to drive in to the city 15 miles yonder. Gas prices are horrendous as well.
Again, why Mo or Ar? Because my roots are there. My family came from over seas and settled in these two states...and I've always felt a pull to come "back home". However, many people have told me, and I have read right here in this website, that I will face culture shock. Some of my roomies I have had over the years were gays, lesbians, blacks, muslims, jews, mexicans. Some vegetarians, some meat eaters and hunters as well, some christians, some pagan or wiccan. I have no judgements against anyone. If I came off this way in my posts here, I apologize. I guess I am just scared of the unknown but am excited about it at the same time. I might have family still in those two small towns in Mo and Ar...and I would love to meet them. Then again, I may not have family at all and hubby and I will be old, in a new state, learning new things and alone. That's kinda scarey. But exciting too.

Snakes. Rattlers, I know about. But from reading other threads, I will have to learn about new critters that can hurt my pets...or me and hubby. Can old dogs like us learn new tricks? Hence my starting this thread. I'm a tough old broad but that doesn't mean I am a robot and have no fears. I fear not for me, but for those I love. So....I asked. Perhaps not very tactfully.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:38 PM

9 posts, read 15,067 times
There's a place for Gods little creatures; >right next
to the mashed potatoes and gravy<... Come visit
"little america"!! If move here, don't forget to check
the gate behind you ;-)

Old 10-05-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
I am having second thoughts because of nice good ol boy's just like yourself.
You assume much. Therefore, you are not really worth my time to seek advice from.
For some reason, you sound to me like the kind of person a lot of Californians are trying to move AWAY from. Could I interest you in taking a look at Colorado? Or Washington? Or Oregon?

Old 10-05-2009, 05:49 PM

If you shoot it to eat it, then fine. If you shoot it for sport just because you can, %$#$ you and the horse you rode in on * (which you will probably shoot so you feel big and powerful). *

*Not aimed at any particular person. Just my thoughts on the matter. Kinda like the tiny little wannabe cowboy that has a big huge monster truck. Something is lacking, if you get my drift.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
For some reason, you sound to me like the kind of person a lot of Californians are trying to move AWAY from. Could I interest you in taking a look at Colorado? Or Washington? Or Oregon?
Really. And it looks to me like you need to follow me around. Betcha you got one of them thar big monster trucks, dontcha?

Old 10-05-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
If you shoot it to eat it, then fine. If you shoot it for sport just because you can, %$#$ you and the horse you rode in on * (which you will probably shoot so you feel big and powerful).
It feels really good to shoot little rabbits or squirrels, then skin them and fry them and make gravy and serve with biscuits. Very satisfying. I feel big and powerful with a full stomach afterwards.

I feel the same way about fishing. Love to hook them in the mouths and play them.

And gigging. Wheweee! Spearing them, then frying them up on the bank with hush puppies.

Mighty fine, mighty fine.

That Missouri living; a Californian just doesn't understand.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Really. And it looks to me like you need to follow me around. Betcha you got one of them thar big monster trucks, dontcha?
As a matter of fact, I did. I sold it. But i'm planning to buy another one next year if Obama doesn't destroy the economy.

I truly am everything you hate about rural living, all rolled up into one happy hillbilly. And there is a whole bunch of men and women just like me in southern Missouri.

Please, for your sake, reconsider moving here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area