Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 02:45 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times

Advertisements

I don't think it's a big shock that Columbus would have a higher percentage of people with undergrad degrees given that they have a major university with 40,000 students.

Chicago's winters are not only significantly colder, but they're also much longer. Chicago doesn't really have a spring. I think time and siatnce dull those remembrances honestly.

And I just have to say that I could buy a little house in Rock Hill right now for less than 150k and send my kids to great schools. it's all about your choices.

I actually very much like Columbus, so I'm not going to sit and pick apart your post, but the simple fact is I don't think that St. Louis and Columbus are comparable cities. Columbus feel like a super huge college town, but it lacks the overall urbanity of the town is nowhere near that of St. Louis. Apples and oranges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 02:46 PM

216 posts, read 628,041 times
Ps, I forgot to add that I recruit for a living and now recruit soley to St. Louis (a hard sell), and even though people hate the Minneapolis weather, once they move there, you can't pull them away. I used to do executive recruiting for companies all over and can tell you Chicago is a super easy place to get people to move to. Columbus was a hard sell at first, but once they visited they were sold and never wanted to leave. St. Louis is usually a very tough sale, as there is so much negative info out there. I would equate it to trying to recruit to Detroit or Cleveland. Again, I have never even visited MN but people seem to love it.. other than the winters, I have only heard rave reviews, although I am always surprised by how expensive MN is..not sure it's any more expensive than the nice areas of St. Louis, but it's not a cheap city either. They have amazing schools there. Just a perspective of someone who makes there living for the past 15 years, recruiting to cities across the US.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:50 PM

"I don't think it's a big shock that Columbus would have a higher percentage of people with undergrad degrees given that they have a major university with 40,000 students.

I guess I would say, that with Columbus being so much smaller, there must be a draw, as people get their degrees and stay. It appears that in St. Louis either fewer people pursue advanced education or they don't move back after they go to school elsewhere.

Agree it's more "urban" which is probably one of the reasons I like Columbus/Chicago better. Again, some people love that about St. Louis.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:57 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
Summers in STL & Chicago are more similar than winters.

Average temps
Jun- Stl is 6 degrees warmer
Jul- Stl is 5 degrees warmer
Aug- Stl is 6 degrees warmer

So in an average summer, St. Louis is 5.6 degrees warmer than Chicago.

Average temps
Dec-Chi is 7 degrees cooler
Jan-Chi is 8 degrees cooler
Feb-Chi is 9 degrees cooler

So in an average winter, Chicago is 8 degrees cooler than St. Louis.

Chicago also gets nearly twice as much snowfall, and more rainy & cloudy days.

Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Chicago, Illinois, United States of America - Travel, Vacation and Reference Information

Weatherbase: Historical Weather for St. Louis, Missouri, United States of America - Travel, Vacation and Reference Information

Old 06-24-2011, 03:00 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,079 times
Two of my dear friends are from Columbus. They prefer STL because they think it seems much more of a "city". They constantly called Columbus a big suburb, not much character. Yes, if you dont like urban living, and historical significant structures, you would probably like Columbus better, as it has a much newer feel. I personally wouldn't enjoy living in C-bus, as I crave that urban density.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:39 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,598,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoerin View Post
While I can't comment on MN vs Stl (as I have never lived in MN), I can tell you that I have lived in: Chicago (Wrigley) and then the Western Burbs (Naperville) for 10 years, Columbus, OH for 5 and now I moved to St. Louis to be near my parents and sister and her family (we are not from here) and I don't think I will ever LOVE St. Louis. We live in U City and my sister lives in Clayton. The things that I don't like when compared to Columbus (my all time favorite city, although I loved Chicago) are:
1. The misnomer that St. Louis is an "inexpensive" place to live. Unlike Columbus, you have to live in the higher rent districts to get good schools (I am not even talking about the super strong districts like Clayton or Ladue (as they are really pricey places to live..don't tell me about living in Olivette and going to Ladue schools..I am talking about living in the city proper), but more like Kirkwood, Webster, etc)., yes, it's cheap to live in the the neighborhoods with crappy schools (and there is no shortage of crappy schools here..hence the extremely high rate of kids that go to private schoosl which is pretty rare in Naperville or Columbus), but to live in really strong school districts (and I mean strong when compared to Columbus or Chicago not strong when compared to other St. Louis districts as I think the bar is lower here), it's expensive. Most things are more expensive here: Food costs are MUCH higher than Columbus, gas is no different (although they claim gas is cheap here, ), insurance costs, etc. It's just more expensive here.
2. I think the overall calibur of people is lower. Again, not even comparing it to Chicago, which is heads and tails above in terms of sophistication, education, etc., but comparing to Columbus. Statistically speaking, there are far more people in Columbus with undergrad degrees than here. I can't explain how this translates to a better quality of life, but can tell you that when I go to the grocery store, restaurants, etc., I just feel like I am surrounded by a higher class of people in Columbus or Chicago
3. The weather here is terrible. I would take chicago weather over here anyday. Yes, Chicago is colder in the winter but not THAT much colder and the summers are just way more enjoyable in Chicago or Columbus. Spring and Fall are very similar in all cities, except chicago's spring comes a few weeks later. Cold is cold, snow is snow. All three have cold and snow.
4. As someone else commented the drivers are ridiculous. I am delighted when someone uses their turn signal here. DELIGHTED..what do people in St. Louis have again turn signals? I heard (but have no idea if it's true), that you don't have to do behind the wheel training here before you get your license..just have to take a written test..is this true??? if so, that would explain alot. I am much much nervous and scared to drive on the highways here than in Chicago. Chicago traffic is fast and furious, but people seem to be paying attention for the most part. Here I feel like people are asleep half the time..cutting across 4 lanes without even looking, etc. Have had two really scary close calls on the highway here and have only been here 6 months.

The positives are:
1. I find the people to be friendly. At least in my circle, I don't get the "Where did you go to high school"
2. My family is here, which is worth the trade off.
3. I like the hills, it's visually prettier than Colulmbus, although the old buildings that others find so architecturally interesting just depress me. There seem to be so many that are falling down.

I keep waiting to fall in love (or at least like) with St. Louis. I hope it happens and will report back if/when it does.

Erin
I just don't really get this but whatever. I do get the sophistication part. We are primarily a blue collar city. And there are plenty of good ol boys who love 'Merica' and bleed red white adn blue.

There are white collar crowds and Intellectuals out there who strongly support the arts and cultural attractions o this old gritty city by the river. We don't or dress like billy joe either.
You may need to branch out and try some new watering holes. How long have you lived here?

Old 06-24-2011, 04:42 PM

It's not the temps in Chicago it's the WIND. I get frost bite just thinking about it.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:46 PM

I was in Atl on Wednesday closing a big deal. My national sales mgr is from VA and lives in Orlando. The salesman for the other company is from VA and lives in Atl. What was the very first question asked when the found out they both grew up in the DC burbs? You guessed it.. Where did you go to highschool?

Old 06-24-2011, 04:50 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
I was in Atl on Wednesday closing a big deal. My national sales mgr is from VA and lives in Orlando. The salesman for the other company is from VA and lives in Atl. What was the very first question asked when the found out they both grew up in the DC burbs? You guessed it.. Where did you go to highschool?
Bahahahahaha!!!!!!
Thats great!!!!!

Old 06-24-2011, 06:03 PM

I totally agree that Columbus feels like one big suburb and could be perceived as lacking character to some. It's a very vanilla city and since it's newer, most of the burbs tend to look alike. The newness and I guess, the vanilla-ness is something I like about it, but others who crave the urban feel would miss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis