Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2011, 01:17 PM

529 posts, read 1,009,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
No. Rural MO has extreme levels of poverty compared to nearly all of rural MN
Most of that is confined to the Ozarks. North of the Missouri River the rural areas in MO and MN are very similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 03:08 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebound101 View Post
Wow good response to my statement of the very bad condition St Louis is in!

Yea you are 50% is completely a random and emotional number. I am not sure what the exact number is but you need to be honest with yourself, the city has major and I mean major problems. It is the most dangerous city in a America. And a LARGE percent of the homes and vacant, half torn down and embarrassing.

Regardless of having the "highest increase in gradutes" St Louis schools are not accredited period, if you notice highest increase, its like saying most improved. Its like saying the smartest kid riding the short bus.... come on!

Listen I really and I mean really love the historical side of St Louis, great buildings and locations like Soulard, Lafeyatte Sq, Downtown,Benton Park and The Hill. St Louis is much older than Minneapolis and to experience those areas is a national and local treasure. I LOVE the mild winters, but winter you have the windows closed, summer its so hot you have the windows closed.

I was very harsh on St Louis. But reality is when you compare St Louis to any similar sized city it is light years behind. I do not blame you if you cannot admit the huge problems with the culture mindset its because you are ears deep in it.

I recently ran into a local guy that has a monthly get together for transplant people to St Louis, to get them to involved and stay living in St Louis. He is sick of seeing over and over again great people move away due to condition of the city and culture. That is a local guy noticing the issues St Louis presents to outsiders. Its not friendly nor cosmopolitan which so many outsiders are used to.

Again I am not trying to be an ass, there are some great things of St Louis, but there are some huge major issues. Outsider view of St Louis is not good, its like saying Detroit, people picture huge run down areas, high crime, a population that have buried their heads to try and ignore a huge problem... the Goverment and themselves.

Sorry you cannot even compare St Louis to Minneapolis. You can compare St Louis to Detroit or Cleveland.

Minneapolis does have usually very snowy and cold Jan-Feb, it sucks. But the rest of the years is great. Great public trails and parks, culture of dinning out, shopping, sports, modern forward thinking structures, top schools, top living conditions, top cities to live in, a metro area that is one and so on.

I always heard and agreed, St Louis is fun to visit and hit the historical areas but not good to raise a family or live long term. Minneapolis is the other way area, ok to visit as a vacation AWESOME to live long term the quality of life really comes out a heads so much fun and clean so safe!

I wish St Louis was the same, St Louis need so much work from top to bottom.
Why do people always complain about St. Louis summers so damn much? It could be much worse, and people get used to it. I bet St. Louis in the summer is a lot more alive than Minny in the winter.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:31 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
to an outsider looking in, he's right
Yeah....I could say some very random things about any city, and someone could say the same of me.
Sure doesnt mean its true.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:47 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdm_ad View Post
Most of that is confined to the Ozarks. North of the Missouri River the rural areas in MO and MN are very similar.
Northern MO ag counties are substantially poorer compared to MN ag counties per quickfacts.census.gov

Old 06-19-2011, 06:28 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Northern MO ag counties are substantially poorer compared to MN ag counties per quickfacts.census.gov
I rather doubt the per capita, etc is the same.
I really hate it that you bag on MO all the time.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:48 AM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I rather doubt the per capita, etc is the same.
I really hate it that you bag on MO all the time.
I am pretty familiar with both areas and the numbers don't lie. I would like for rural MO to see greater economic and wage growth as well as anyone else.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:07 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Why do people always complain about St. Louis summers so damn much? It could be much worse, and people get used to it. I bet St. Louis in the summer is a lot more alive than Minny in the winter.
Agreed. I like St. Louis summers. I personally couldn't tolerate a MN winter.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:26 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,598,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post

Because people everywhere like to complain about EVERYTHING. St. Louis summers are mild in the park compared to Phoenix, Las Vegas, Dallas, Austin, Houston, New Orleans, Miami or Atlanta. Sure it gets hot and muggy here, but the weather changes so frequently it's very rarely for any extended time period. When it's hot and sticky out, St. Louisians go to the pool or the lake (or river).

Old 06-20-2011, 01:39 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
Because people everywhere like to complain about EVERYTHING. St. Louis summers are mild in the park compared to Phoenix, Las Vegas, Dallas, Austin, Houston, New Orleans, Miami or Atlanta. Sure it gets hot and muggy here, but the weather changes so frequently it's very rarely for any extended time period. When it's hot and sticky out, St. Louisians go to the pool or the lake (or river).
Agreed, I've been in the summer and it was fine compared to Memphis. But even though it's hot as hell in Memphis during the summer, there is always something going on outside. Lots of festivals and celebrations. So I'd rather have a long hot summer than a long cold winter. Winters are dead, even down here.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:35 PM

216 posts, read 627,973 times
While I can't comment on MN vs Stl (as I have never lived in MN), I can tell you that I have lived in: Chicago (Wrigley) and then the Western Burbs (Naperville) for 10 years, Columbus, OH for 5 and now I moved to St. Louis to be near my parents and sister and her family (we are not from here) and I don't think I will ever LOVE St. Louis. We live in U City and my sister lives in Clayton. The things that I don't like when compared to Columbus (my all time favorite city, although I loved Chicago) are:
1. The misnomer that St. Louis is an "inexpensive" place to live. Unlike Columbus, you have to live in the higher rent districts to get good schools (I am not even talking about the super strong districts like Clayton or Ladue (as they are really pricey places to live..don't tell me about living in Olivette and going to Ladue schools..I am talking about living in the city proper), but more like Kirkwood, Webster, etc)., yes, it's cheap to live in the the neighborhoods with crappy schools (and there is no shortage of crappy schools here..hence the extremely high rate of kids that go to private schoosl which is pretty rare in Naperville or Columbus), but to live in really strong school districts (and I mean strong when compared to Columbus or Chicago not strong when compared to other St. Louis districts as I think the bar is lower here), it's expensive. Most things are more expensive here: Food costs are MUCH higher than Columbus, gas is no different (although they claim gas is cheap here, ), insurance costs, etc. It's just more expensive here.
2. I think the overall calibur of people is lower. Again, not even comparing it to Chicago, which is heads and tails above in terms of sophistication, education, etc., but comparing to Columbus. Statistically speaking, there are far more people in Columbus with undergrad degrees than here. I can't explain how this translates to a better quality of life, but can tell you that when I go to the grocery store, restaurants, etc., I just feel like I am surrounded by a higher class of people in Columbus or Chicago
3. The weather here is terrible. I would take chicago weather over here anyday. Yes, Chicago is colder in the winter but not THAT much colder and the summers are just way more enjoyable in Chicago or Columbus. Spring and Fall are very similar in all cities, except chicago's spring comes a few weeks later. Cold is cold, snow is snow. All three have cold and snow.
4. As someone else commented the drivers are ridiculous. I am delighted when someone uses their turn signal here. DELIGHTED..what do people in St. Louis have again turn signals? I heard (but have no idea if it's true), that you don't have to do behind the wheel training here before you get your license..just have to take a written test..is this true??? if so, that would explain alot. I am much much nervous and scared to drive on the highways here than in Chicago. Chicago traffic is fast and furious, but people seem to be paying attention for the most part. Here I feel like people are asleep half the time..cutting across 4 lanes without even looking, etc. Have had two really scary close calls on the highway here and have only been here 6 months.

The positives are:
1. I find the people to be friendly. At least in my circle, I don't get the "Where did you go to high school"
2. My family is here, which is worth the trade off.
3. I like the hills, it's visually prettier than Colulmbus, although the old buildings that others find so architecturally interesting just depress me. There seem to be so many that are falling down.

I keep waiting to fall in love (or at least like) with St. Louis. I hope it happens and will report back if/when it does.

Erin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis