Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 07:19 AM

127 posts, read 271,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Seriously, given what you guys had in december, and the crap you dealt with today and will likely deal with through april or may, I still stick with my opinion that the only people who tolerate the weather patterns of upstate NY, and CNY in particular, are those that grew up there and don't know any better.
I agree 100%. This is such a miserable place to live. I seriously can't figure out why anyone chooses to live here if they don't have to. I can't understand how people can be happy knowing there are places 1000 times better. I can understand if you have family here, but if amazes me when people want to move here when they know no one.

I don't care how cheap it is to live here. I rather be a bum living in NYC or San Diego than living somewhat good in Syracuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 07:32 AM

93,388 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imj7 View Post
I agree 100%. This is such a miserable place to live. I seriously can't figure out why anyone chooses to live here if they don't have to. I can't understand how people can be happy knowing there are places 1000 times better. I can understand if you have family here, but if amazes me when people want to move here when they know no one.

I don't care how cheap it is to live here. I rather be a bum living in NYC or San Diego than living somewhat good in Syracuse.
Please.....There are worse places to live. Trust me and have you lived anywhere else to know any different?

This current snowfall will be gone in a couple of days and you take advantage of it by going snowboarding while it's around. Ironically, the sun is out as I type this.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:40 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,760,139 times
Quote:

I don't understand this. If Syracuse isn't a good fit for you - and vice versa - then PLEASE, move to whatever place will bring about your happiness. I say this without any sarcasm at all- if you're not happy here, go find where you might be. I don't hold it against anyone for not liking Syracuse/Central New York... you have your reasons and they're completely valid in your own situation. It's when you project *your own, personal reasons* onto others that's aggravating. I wouldn't be happy in a warm climate... so I won't move and complain about the many ways in which my needs and desires aren't being fulfilled. I would know that MY choice to move THERE was my own mistake that needed to be remedied ASAP, not the fault of its geographical location and demographic.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Please.....There are worse places to live. Trust me and have you lived anywhere else to know any different?

This current snowfall will be gone in a couple of days and you take advantage of it by going snowboarding while it's around. Ironically, the sun is out as I type this.
Yeah, I'm sure there are. As with Syracuse, I have no idea why they want to live there.

And the termperature is in the mid 20s. Tomorrow has a high of 28. Also, don't forget the last 3 days had 0% sunshine according to the Post Standard.

Living in Syracuse is like playing teeball. I was going to say the minor leagues, but that's even too high. If you have the ability to, why not move on to the major leagues and live in a city that is full of life and energy?

Old 03-24-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
I don't understand this. If Syracuse isn't a good fit for you - and vice versa - then PLEASE, move to whatever place will bring about your happiness. I say this without any sarcasm at all- if you're not happy here, go find where you might be. I don't hold it against anyone for not liking Syracuse/Central New York... you have your reasons and they're completely valid in your own situation. It's when you project *your own, personal reasons* onto others that's aggravating. I wouldn't be happy in a warm climate... so I won't move and complain about the many ways in which my needs and desires aren't being fulfilled. I would know that MY choice to move THERE was my own mistake that needed to be remedied ASAP, not the fault of its geographical location and demographic.
I am. Less than 3 months.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure there are. As with Syracuse, I have no idea why they want to live there.

And the termperature is in the mid 20s. Tomorrow has a high of 28. Also, don't forget the last 3 days had 0% sunshine according to the Post Standard.
DUDE. I'm shaking my hands and laughing... this.is.SYRACUSE. The climate and our area's weather reputation is widely known and easily accessible via the weakest search terms on any search engine. It's flippant weather. There are days that I feel like I'm going to be choked from heat and humidity and blistered by the raging sun. Winter sunshine blinds me in my house because it's reflecting off of all the snow. It can be 70 with no snow in January and 35 with slushy roads in May. But, by and large, I enjoy our weather... it's a good fit for ME. The summers are mostly temperate and comfortable and the landscape is stunning. There's far more to do in ALL extremes of weather than I could ever accomplish.

I really just don't know what you expect?

Quote:
Living in Syracuse is like playing teeball. I was going to say the minor leagues, but that's even too high. If you have the ability to, why not move on the major leagues and live in a city that is full of life and energy?
Life and energy is really relative. If you expected the all-hours vitality of NYC/Miami/LA/[enter huge metropolis here], it's not Syracuse's fault that YOU made the choice to move to a place that doesn't suit YOU.

And those of us who really enjoy this area and all it offers... should not have to be subject to such ridicule. Not everyone has the same needs and desires as you.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
DUDE. I'm shaking my hands and laughing... this.is.SYRACUSE. The climate and our area's weather reputation is widely known and easily accessible via the weakest search terms on any search engine. It's flippant weather. There are days that I feel like I'm going to be choked from heat and humidity and blistered by the raging sun. Winter sunshine blinds me in my house because it's reflecting off of all the snow. It can be 70 with no snow in January and 35 with slushy roads in May. But, by and large, I enjoy our weather... it's a good fit for ME. The summers are mostly temperate and comfortable and the landscape is stunning. There's far more to do in ALL extremes of weather than I could ever accomplish.

I really just don't know what you expect?

Life and energy is really relative. If you expected the all-hours vitality of NYC/Miami/LA/[enter huge metropolis here], it's not Syracuse's fault that YOU made the choice to move to a place that doesn't suit YOU.

And those of us who really enjoy this area and all it offers... should not have to be subject to such ridicule. Not everyone has the same needs and desires as you.
Basically and it's not like the area has a stranglehold on anyone. If one desires to move, then do that. Everything isn't for everybody and it would be better to take the time to search for the place that most suits one's tastes. Posting in the General US forum is a good place to start.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:04 AM

The OP is obviously concerned about the weather. She should know how bad it really is. I'm not sure what there is to enjoy about shoveling off 3 inches of snow off of your car with mid 20 temperature and a full week of at most 35 degrees in the forecast when it's March 24th, but if that's what you enjoy then OK. I just don't understand how that is a way someone wants to live life.

I know it's not Syracuse's fault, I did choose to live here. Although it's my fault, it doesn't mean that Syracuse isn't a miserable place.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
The OP is obviously concerned about the weather. She should know how bad it really is. I'm not sure what there is to enjoy about shoveling off 3 inches of snow off of your car with mid 20 temperature and a full week of at most 35 degrees in the forecast when it's March 24th, but if that's what you enjoy then OK. I just don't understand how that is a way someone wants to live life.

I know it's not Syracuse's fault, I did choose to live here. Although it's my fault, it doesn't mean that Syracuse isn't a miserable place.
There isn't anything wrong with telling the truth about the weather, but tell the whole truth. We get rid of the snow better than most places. So, life will go on and you can still enjoy things during the winter.

Weather here can be very fickle, as it was clear, sunny and in the mid 50's to the low 60's about a week ago. So, even in the winter, the weather can vary greatly.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:16 AM

Again, that's projecting your own opinion about Syracuse onto everyone else. Or rather, attempting to. Your own personal misery doesn't make Syracuse miserable.

As for the winter storm drama... is this really worthy of such an overreaction? For reference, those pebbles on the ground are rock salt. I'd say that there are maybe two inches on the ground.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/198953_10150463535290697_543140696_17568312_722378 0_n.jpg (broken link)

FYI- you're doing it all kinds of wrong, if you're shoveling 3 inches of snow off of your vehicle. LOL - start it, turn on the defrost, get your stuff together/go to the bathroom/refill your coffee mug... then get into the driver's seat and head off. Defrost exists for this very reason. You shouldn't be driving a cold vehicle anyway, even if there wasn't any snow/ice on the glass.

Last edited by proulxfamily; 03-24-2011 at 09:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area