Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2013, 09:13 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,611 times

Advertisements

Got papers to sign yet.

They this cesspool is all yours.

Maybe the saddest part maybe that we wanted the youngest to graduate with her friends. She did so last Saturday. We been pouring money into the house for sale.

Almost made it out with our stuff. Better to be in a nice place with nothing then NY with nothing.

Hardcore NYers will be happy to know that 100% of Oneidas ghettos survived in tact. No welfare people were hurt during the flood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 10:08 AM

93,375 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Got papers to sign yet.

They this cesspool is all yours.

Maybe the saddest part maybe that we wanted the youngest to graduate with her friends. She did so last Saturday. We been pouring money into the house for sale.

Almost made it out with our stuff. Better to be in a nice place with nothing then NY with nothing.

Hardcore NYers will be happy to know that 100% of Oneidas ghettos survived in tact. No welfare people were hurt during the flood.
So, what are the plans from here?

Old 06-29-2013, 10:56 AM

Play on my phone for now.

Been to the house every hour but can't get near it. Police presence is growing.

We can't make plans. Do people go it shock over stuff like this?? If so I'm in it. How am I gonna clean all that?? How do the kid and I get to work in Oneida living in Sherrill with out cars?? Help is pouring in from out of state so we shall see.

Everyone is crying. I want to too. But I gotta keep moving when I don't too

Old 06-29-2013, 11:45 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,760,139 times
They're right to keep everyone away... the rain is super heavy again. Stay safe!

Old 06-29-2013, 12:22 PM

Proof that I may not believe in irony but irony believes in me.

Nice toasty dry clothes from Walmart. Head to the evacuee information center for, well information, and its pouring rain.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:34 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
It does sound like you're in shock which is VERY common in situations like this. Your whole world was turned upside down yesterday.

It CAN be cleaned. It will take work, but I know you're a hard worker. You CAN and WILL get through this!

You'll have to shovel out the mud once the water goes down. Sheetrock gets all ripped out. Wood floors and trim get ripped out. Furnace, water heater, electrical panel all go as well. You basically rebuild the interior of the house. Hey if you want to move something around or upgrade, that's when you do it. It's not easy work nor is it cheap, but if you want to rebuild you CANA do it! I KNOW you can Sean. You're a strong and tough person. This isn't the end of the world for you.

You also don't have to rebuild. You can just leave it and let the city take it through nonpayment of property takes or letting it become condemned and just abandon it like Downstate owners do with rentals.

Depending on what happens with FEMA, this may be your chance to leave. Take the money and run so to speak. A lot of people in Schoharie did this after the hurricane a couple of years ago. They lost half their Main Street and most of the rest of it is up for sale. The houses are all gutted and waiting for someone to rebuild them. They're dirt cheap. It's too bad because there were some gorgeous Victorians and houses older than that there. But they picked up the pieces and moved on with life.

Many people in my family have had to deal with floods and trees falling onto their house. Everyone rebuilt and most stayed for years. Only one did not, but she was a widow in her 80's who was already trying to sell. She lived on a creek that feeds into the Delaware River. She had 3 500 year floods in 5 years. Pretty sure they're no longer 500 year floods. In my book, those are annual floods!

Be safe and smart about trying to get to your house right now. You HAVE to wait for the water to get out. If you don't, you could drown. Your wife and daughter need you so please don't do anything crazy like go against police orders and go in anyway. They're trying to keep everyone safe and they have a job to do whether or not people like it. Unfortunately, it's supposed to keep raining for days so it may be awhile before you can get. I hope not, but the forecast isn't looking great.

Be happy that neither you or your daughter or wife are that missing person in Fort Plain right now. A woman was swept away in her house yesterday and as of last night she was not found. Please be smart and stay safe. If you need anything, please feel free to send me a PM.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
When federal and state funds/housing/tax breaks/supplies, etc. are made available to you and your family because of this horrible situation, I'm sure you'll refuse the aid on principle though, right?

Old 06-29-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
It does sound like you're in shock which is VERY common in situations like this. Your whole world was turned upside down yesterday.

It CAN be cleaned. It will take work, but I know you're a hard worker. You CAN and WILL get through this!

You'll have to shovel out the mud once the water goes down. Sheetrock gets all ripped out. Wood floors and trim get ripped out. Furnace, water heater, electrical panel all go as well. You basically rebuild the interior of the house. Hey if you want to move something around or upgrade, that's when you do it. It's not easy work nor is it cheap, but if you want to rebuild you CANA do it! I KNOW you can Sean. You're a strong and tough person. This isn't the end of the world for you.

You also don't have to rebuild. You can just leave it and let the city take it through nonpayment of property takes or letting it become condemned and just abandon it like Downstate owners do with rentals.

Depending on what happens with FEMA, this may be your chance to leave. Take the money and run so to speak. A lot of people in Schoharie did this after the hurricane a couple of years ago. They lost half their Main Street and most of the rest of it is up for sale. The houses are all gutted and waiting for someone to rebuild them. They're dirt cheap. It's too bad because there were some gorgeous Victorians and houses older than that there. But they picked up the pieces and moved on with life.

Many people in my family have had to deal with floods and trees falling onto their house. Everyone rebuilt and most stayed for years. Only one did not, but she was a widow in her 80's who was already trying to sell. She lived on a creek that feeds into the Delaware River. She had 3 500 year floods in 5 years. Pretty sure they're no longer 500 year floods. In my book, those are annual floods!

Be safe and smart about trying to get to your house right now. You HAVE to wait for the water to get out. If you don't, you could drown. Your wife and daughter need you so please don't do anything crazy like go against police orders and go in anyway. They're trying to keep everyone safe and they have a job to do whether or not people like it. Unfortunately, it's supposed to keep raining for days so it may be awhile before you can get. I hope not, but the forecast isn't looking great.

Be happy that neither you or your daughter or wife are that missing person in Fort Plain right now. A woman was swept away in her house yesterday and as of last night she was not found. Please be smart and stay safe. If you need anything, please feel free to send me a PM.
The one thing I can't get are answers and I'm aabout to blow locally so ill ask the innerweb.

Lets says I carry 145k in insurance and owe 61k.

At any point will I have the option to walk away with the 80ish??

Old 06-29-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
The one thing I can't get are answers and I'm aabout to blow locally so ill ask the innerweb.

Lets says I carry 145k in insurance and owe 61k.

At any point will I have the option to walk away with the 80ish??
I'm not exactly sure but I do know they have to give you the money you'd need to replace the house (up to the max your policy allows), complete, in actual cost-to-build, not the depreciated value.

And yes, as long as your loan is paid, the raw land is yours and you can certainly *not* build, sell the land for whatever you can get, and walk away with the balance of the insurance payout.

Thus, "happy dance." :P

Old 06-29-2013, 02:29 PM

Then I will be posting a pic of a 84 grand check with NY in the rear view soon.

City said no chance of seeing house today. Flood was 14 foot and its gone diwn 11 inches since yesterday. Cops are thick so no games for me.

Sent wife and kid to the Catskills this morning so I been dealing with this since the hint of sun. It's not that nobody answers questions its that they don't know. Looting is the big concern now but they are doing there best.

If I drank I'd be in a coma right now. Work told me to take the time I need and I need time to drink.

But I don't.

Did ask a reporter for a smoke yesterday and that's off to the races so I have quitting again to look forward to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area