Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 07:04 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,424,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebopop View Post
Is there a medical center or hospital in Camillus? Or is the drive into Syracuse short enough in case of a medical emergency? Thanks!
Medical Center West is located in Camillus.

The Sutton Companies | Medical Center West
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 10:08 AM

8 posts, read 26,609 times
Hello Bellafinzi,

Thank you so much for the commute information. We are from the Bay Area and my husband has to cross a bridge everyday to get to work-this really limits the alternative routes he can use to get to work. How is the commute from Camillus to Lansing?? I have mapquested the distant and travel time - and I know it's about the same distance my husband travels now. I noticed on the maps that interstate 81 is one route and another is route 5/34. Which route would you recommend? One route takes you west from Camillus then south and the other takes you east - then south. If you travel south away from Syracuse- do you thing the snow will become less an issue for commuting that distance? I know it is difficult to predict - but I would really appreicate any input.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:42 PM

I think the Interstate 81 route would be best. Since 81 is an interstate there are no traffic lights or winding country roads until you reach Cortland. The Route 5 to Route 34 commute is mostly two lane country roads. Snow could pose a problem in the winter for a commute that long. Some people do commute that route though. I know someone who lives in Liverpool and works in Ithaca. They are currently selling their Liverpool home and buying a house on Onondaga Hill. That way he avoids the traffic through the city and trims roughly 20 minutes off the commute.

Old 09-14-2007, 05:13 PM

Hello Bellafinzi,

We are coming back for a quick visit to see Camillus and surrounding areas - I noticed that the West Genesse school district extends all the way to Split Rock and almost to Onondaga. We are going to look for a house in the southern end of the school district to help shorten my husbands commute to Lansing. Are there any neighborhoods or subdivisons that you recommend in the southern end near Split Rock and almost to town of Onondaga? I have a High School senior and have shown him pictures of Onondaga Community College. I also saw that they have new resident halls for students. Do many students commute to the school from surrounding areas?

Old 09-14-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movineast View Post
Hello Bellafinzi,

We are coming back for a quick visit to see Camillus and surrounding areas - I noticed that the West Genesse school district extends all the way to Split Rock and almost to Onondaga. We are going to look for a house in the southern end of the school district to help shorten my husbands commute to Lansing. Are there any neighborhoods or subdivisons that you recommend in the southern end near Split Rock and almost to town of Onondaga? I have a High School senior and have shown him pictures of Onondaga Community College. I also saw that they have new resident halls for students. Do many students commute to the school from surrounding areas?
Hi Movineast!

West Genesse actually includes a large part of northern Town of Onondaga. I wouldn't worry too much if you find a place to live closer to Onondaga Hill. Why? Well, the Westhill school district is considered a great school district too. Probably better than West Genesse since Westhill is so much smaller in size. I'm not too familiar with the subdivisions in that area. Only been there a few times. The newer developments in that area are so few; theorically it's possible to visit every development to see which you like the best. The Town of Onondaga is the least developed suburb of Syracuse that borders the city. Very sparsely populated compared to the northern suburbs.

Yes, many students commute to Onondaga Community College. Most need to commute since there are only 500 dorm rooms on campus and enrollment is over 9,000. About half are part-time, half full-time.

One word of caution. Avoid driving the direct route from Onondaga Hill to downtown Syracuse as much as possible. That road goes through and near some of worst hoods in the city. Onondaga Hill to Interstate 81 (exit 16A) should be fine, as it traverses the Valley section of the city mostly.

The Town of Onondaga is nice.... though it does have four minor drawbacks in my book. Lack of nearby shopping, you share the shopping plazas and malls with many city residents, somewhat isolated, and very narrow roads. Hopefully, the town will grow more and attract it's own commercial district. That could eliminate all the negatives IMO.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:29 AM

Hello Bellafinzi,

My husband and I came out to beautiful Camillus at the end of September and WOW - it really is as beautiful as your pictures. What you cannot see from your pictures is how friendly everyone is. My youngest son spent a whole day at West Genesse Middle School and could not stop talking about all the great kids he met. He felt so welcomed and that just melted my heart! Long story short, we will be relocating to Camillus this January. I know that I will be welcoming in a winter season change about that time. I have a transportation question - does everyone drive a four-wheel drive or can you function with a two-wheel drive vehicle?? My husband is going to be commuting to North Lansing - he drives a small SUV - but is two wheel drive. Do most people have a winter and summer car??? I know that is a crazy question - but my husband keeps talking about people having "winter cars?". I am clueless. I drive a two-wheel drive Chevy Suburban (USS Mom taxi). I am concerned a boat that big is not safe unless it has four-wheel drive to keep it on the road. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:55 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,266,758 times
They're called 'winter rats' and use to be more common when you had to worry about your car rusting out from winter road salt.

Your car should be fine in the winter. The greater worry is for those vehicles that are too light weight and need to carry balast for winter stability. You will find lots of all wheel drives and four wheel drives, especially in areas such as the extreme hills in Jamesville.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movineast View Post
Hello Bellafinzi,

My husband and I came out to beautiful Camillus at the end of September and WOW - it really is as beautiful as your pictures. What you cannot see from your pictures is how friendly everyone is. My youngest son spent a whole day at West Genesse Middle School and could not stop talking about all the great kids he met. He felt so welcomed and that just melted my heart! Long story short, we will be relocating to Camillus this January. I know that I will be welcoming in a winter season change about that time. I have a transportation question - does everyone drive a four-wheel drive or can you function with a two-wheel drive vehicle?? My husband is going to be commuting to North Lansing - he drives a small SUV - but is two wheel drive. Do most people have a winter and summer car??? I know that is a crazy question - but my husband keeps talking about people having "winter cars?". I am clueless. I drive a two-wheel drive Chevy Suburban (USS Mom taxi). I am concerned a boat that big is not safe unless it has four-wheel drive to keep it on the road. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Glad to hear your trip went well. I was starting to believe that Camillus wasn't as friendly as the people living in the northern suburbs of Syracuse after I read a post in another thread about someone who moved to Camillus and said everyone there wasn't nice. Makes me wonder how long ago that happened and where they worked if it was really as bad as they made it out.....

Never heard of winter or summer cars, but there are winter tires that many people use here. At the very least, you should have all-season tires. Two wheel drive is fine.... front wheel drive is best for traction.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-10-2007, 07:54 AM

27 posts, read 177,642 times
Hi,
THANK you 10,000 times. Yes you got the right house and the right tree in front. Don't know why but for last couple years I have been thinking a lot about that old house, the tree I planted from a sapling they gave the kids at school as part of the "Johnny Apple Seed" project they promoted in school. Believge I was in First Grade that year which would make it now 51 years ago.

The road that goes by the left side of house they put in when I was 4 or 5 years old. There was a Cherry tree growing right in the middle and on that tree grew the most beautiful flower that I still gow each year in my garden no matter what part of the world I am living in. Was a viney plant called Morning Glory. The light blue trumpeted blossom that opens before the Sun rises and closes again by mid morning, hence the name Morning Glory. I remember a a little tike crying as the road men were getting ready to cut down the tree. Ran into my house and broke open my piggy bank. Took all three pennies out and ran back offering them all the money I had if they would just not cut down that Cherry tree and ruin the Monring Glories. Was my first awakening to "modern progress", one I have never forgotten which proably accounts for why I have a garden no matter where I live.
Thanks again how do award points...been months since I was last on the forum
Gandalf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area