Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 04:52 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,758,699 times
Well <shrug> it's obvious that some places just aren't the right fit with some people...

I love it here. And I'm not delusional... I just disagree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 07:03 PM

784 posts, read 2,265,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
SlickRick1

Are we just talking about new buildings here?

Sounds to me like you are saying the following: Since Syracuse lacks a building taller than 25 stories and no new tall building built in the last 30 years...that means any downtown with tall buildings and new modern buildings is better than downtown Syracuse????

If that's what you mean, then I totally agree! Downtown Syracuse is way below par in the new and tall department. No beautiful modern looking tall buildings! No skyscrapers taller than 315 ft! It makes me sick too. That's one reason why outsiders don't respect Syracuse and why it's very difficult to have any pride in this town.

My hands are tied. I've been telling our leadership for almost 10 years now that Syracuse needs new, tall and modern buildings downtown, but no one in a leadership position agrees with me. For some reason local Syracusans are afraid of post-modern glass tall buildings! Yes, afraid!

I've given up TRYING to convince Syracuse area civic leaders what needs to be done to make Syracuse a great city again. It's pretty useless. A depression is coming anyway, so it doesn't even matter now. I doubt much new construction will be going on a year from now...unless the new administration invests in northern rust-belt cities. Which I seriously doubt.
Thank you for being honest. Definate rep point for your honesty. I understand that civic pride can be blinding but this is rediculous. It is painstaking to see so many in denial. It's one thing to say your downtown is nice, although when it comes to Syracuse I would argue that, pathetic in my mind is a better word. It's another when you start comparing it to much bigger and better downtowns and declare to no end that your assessment is right. It's like me swearing that downtown Binghamton is better than downtown Syracuse. It would be a bit irrational. I also truly believe that many are just seriously misinformed. I think some are basing it on what they think. I believe many have never been to downtown Buffalo and are just saying what they thought might have been the case. If they have been there, than there is no way they would honestly say that Syracuse's downtown is better. Im sorry but I'll say it again, downtown Buffalo is much better than downtown Syracuse. No comparison. I wasn't lieing when I said years ago I came to Syracuse for an honest assessment on where I should move. I had been there many times and I remembered it was lacking in an overall city vibe because of the downtown. When I got there ( I brought a friend) we couldn't believe what a sad site downtown Syracuse was. We were shocked at how bad it was. We basically walked around a big block. There was nothing to see, nothing to do. A lot of boarded up buildings. I couldn't honestly say that I could see where it was ever decent. I mean some cities you can see an old skeleton where you can see that it used to be bustling. I never even seen this, or potential for that matter. We both left and all we could talk about on the ride home was how depressing that city was. I was like, I would rather live in little Ithaca than Syracuse. Needless to say I ended up in Buffalo. My same friend went with me to Buffalo, he hadn't been there before. He kept saying how much nicer and grander there downtown was than Syracuse. He mocked Syracuse's downtown since that trip.

I have traveled alot in my life been back and forth between coasts and up and down the eastern seaboard. In all honesty, and I am not saying it to be mean. I would rate Syracuse for size maybe last. Like I said in my prior posts, I honestly think Albany's downtown looks better by far. I can't think of one city with a bigger population with a worse downtown on the whole east coast. Maybe Salt Lake City on the west, but I dont know, Ive been in Utah, but never there. Until I go, I couldn't honestly make that opinion. But in pictures SLC doesn't look impressive either.However, they have some grand churches which might give it the edge over Syracuse. There's a city in Pennsylvania of only 50,000 which has a downtown twice as nice as Syracuse that is Harrisburg.

I apologize if It feels like I am attacking Syracuse, I am not. It's just I couldn't believe what I was reading and how many dellusional people there were in these parts. I dont hate Syracuse,(in fact I love the orangemen) I just honestly think they haven't done anything with it in many years. They needed to do something forty to fifty years ago and they havent. They just keep neglecting it. Instead of defending their laziness and neglect you should be piszed that the powers to be of Syracuse have stood by and done nothing all of these years.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:57 PM

93,275 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post
Thank you for being honest. Definate rep point for your honesty. I understand that civic pride can be blinding but this is rediculous. It is painstaking to see so many in denial. It's one thing to say your downtown is nice, although when it comes to Syracuse I would argue that, pathetic in my mind is a better word. It's another when you start comparing it to much bigger and better downtowns and declare to no end that your assessment is right. It's like me swearing that downtown Binghamton is better than downtown Syracuse. It would be a bit irrational. I also truly believe that many are just seriously misinformed. I think some are basing it on what they think. I believe many have never been to downtown Buffalo and are just saying what they thought might have been the case. If they have been there, than there is no way they would honestly say that Syracuse's downtown is better. Im sorry but I'll say it again, downtown Buffalo is much better than downtown Syracuse. No comparison. I wasn't lieing when I said years ago I came to Syracuse for an honest assessment on where I should move. I had been there many times and I remembered it was lacking in an overall city vibe because of the downtown. When I got there ( I brought a friend) we couldn't believe what a sad site downtown Syracuse was. We were shocked at how bad it was. We basically walked around a big block. There was nothing to see, nothing to do. A lot of boarded up buildings. I couldn't honestly say that I could see where it was ever decent. I mean some cities you can see an old skeleton where you can see that it used to be bustling. I never even seen this, or potential for that matter. We both left and all we could talk about on the ride home was how depressing that city was. I was like, I would rather live in little Ithaca than Syracuse. Needless to say I ended up in Buffalo. My same friend went with me to Buffalo, he hadn't been there before. He kept saying how much nicer and grander there downtown was than Syracuse. He mocked Syracuse's downtown since that trip.

I have traveled alot in my life been back and forth between coasts and up and down the eastern seaboard. In all honesty, and I am not saying it to be mean. I would rate Syracuse for size maybe last. Like I said in my prior posts, I honestly think Albany's downtown looks better by far. I can't think of one city with a bigger population with a worse downtown on the whole east coast. Maybe Salt Lake City on the west, but I dont know, Ive been in Utah, but never there. Until I go, I couldn't honestly make that opinion. But in pictures SLC doesn't look impressive either.However, they have some grand churches which might give it the edge over Syracuse. There's a city in Pennsylvania of only 50,000 which has a downtown twice as nice as Syracuse that is Harrisburg.

I apologize if It feels like I am attacking Syracuse, I am not. It's just I couldn't believe what I was reading and how many dellusional people there were in these parts. I dont hate Syracuse,(in fact I love the orangemen) I just honestly think they haven't done anything with it in many years. They needed to do something forty to fifty years ago and they havent. They just keep neglecting it. Instead of defending their laziness and neglect you should be piszed that the powers to be of Syracuse have stood by and done nothing all of these years.
Wow, where to begin...Again, no one said it was perfect or even bigger, but to say it is completely depressing is not true. Yes, it needs some work, but to say that there isn't anything going on downtown would be a lie. I gave a reference as to what goes on downtown, but that obviously got overlooked.

Syracuse in general is a very compact city and in some parts due to many hills in the city, they build up in a sense. So, considering that and that Buffalo is about twice the size in terms of population and probably more in land, it should be bigger. No one is disputing that though.

To compare Syracuse to Binghamton would also be ridiculous, considering that Binghamton is about a third of the size of Syracuse in population.

I did mention some streets that needed work and maybe that is where you went. So, if that is the case, I can see how you came to that conclusion.

While the buildings aren't as tall as Buffalo's, they are relatively tall, nonetheless.

If the downtowns of Harrisburg and Albany look bigger, it could possibly be because they are state capitals. So, much of their downtowns could be government buildings. Harrisburg is the size of Binghamton and Albany is a city that is now around 95,000.

I suggest looking at the downtown Syracuse website to see what really goes on there and maybe it could change your perception of downtown Syracuse.

By the way, I think people here in Syracuse know how suspect and status quo the leadership has been in the area. So, hopefully they will be heard when the mayoral election comes up.

Also, no one is hating on Buffalo. I had a brother and a sister go to Buff. State and another sister go to Daemen out in Amherst. So, I know the area pretty well and actually like it. So, no need to fret.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:33 PM

357 posts, read 968,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post

....What your accusing others of doing with Buffalo is exactly what you are doing with Syracuse. You make a lot of assumptions about Syracuse based on only a couple of brief visits and "walking around a block."

I also have lived many places in this country and would never make an assumption about an entire city based alone on a short visit or walking around a block.

The truth is Syracuse has done a lot of major changes to it's downtown over the last several years. Yes, it is taking Syracuse downtown a long time to make a comback but progress is happening, it maybe slow, but it is happening.

Just because some of us support downtown Syracuse does not make us naive, we know that Syracuse has many challenges. We choose to support Syracuse in both it's good times and it's bad, and believe in it's future.

I think people who only ever think about what Syracuse could be in the future or complain about what it should have been miss all the wonderful opportunities that Syracuse offers right now.

I have nothing against Buffalo because I have only visited a couple of times and therefore, really don't know what the city is like. But I do know that it is a city much like Syracuse and the other Upstate cities in that it has struggled with it's economy and struggled to keep it's downtown a thriving place. I wish Buffalo all the best and success just like I wish that for all the upstate cities because Upstate NY in general is a great area and deserves individuals in each of it's cities who care greatly about them and desire to see them prosper.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:46 PM

93,275 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhuggs View Post
....What your accusing others of doing with Buffalo is exactly what you are doing with Syracuse. You make a lot of assumptions about Syracuse based on only a couple of brief visits and "walking around a block."

I also have lived many places in this country and would never make an assumption about an entire city based alone on a short visit or walking around a block.

The truth is Syracuse has done a lot of major changes to it's downtown over the last several years. Yes, it is taking Syracuse downtown a long time to make a comback but progress is happening, it maybe slow, but it is happening.

Just because some of us support downtown Syracuse does not make us naive, we know that Syracuse has many challenges. We choose to support Syracuse in both it's good times and it's bad, and believe in it's future.

I think people who only ever think about what Syracuse could be in the future or complain about what it should have been miss all the wonderful opportunities that Syracuse offers right now.

I have nothing against Buffalo because I have only visited a couple of times and therefore, really don't know what the city is like. But I do know that it is a city much like Syracuse and the other Upstate cities in that it has struggled with it's economy and struggled to keep it's downtown a thriving place. I wish Buffalo all the best and success just like I wish that for all the upstate cities because Upstate NY in general is a great area and deserves individuals in each of it's cities who care greatly about them and desire to see them prosper.
Exactly.......

Old 12-19-2008, 10:13 PM

As I choose to support Buffalo. Naive it doesn't make you if that's all you were doing, but when you become dellusional and say that Syracuse's downtown is better than Buffalo's, where Buffalo's is like three of Syracuse's well than yes I will defend my city with my opinion. And supporting it through good times and bad was not what you were doing. You were making very inaccurate observations about Buffalo. Because if any of you have actually been to Buffalo, there would be no argument. Buffalo's downtown is much larger and with more things to do. I don't see you going against those who support Syracuse with their opinion. Surely I am entitled to my opinon as well.

To bad that was not what the discussion was about. There are so many on here who have boosted it to be what it is not. I think it could have been much more, that is my opinion, just as it was all of yours who said downtown Syracuse was better than downtown Buffalo. I was giving it advice as to what it could have done differently, because it never has been big on improving.

What your accusing others of doing with Buffalo is exactly what you are doing with Syracuse. You make a lot of assumptions about Syracuse based on only a couple of brief visits and "walking around a block."

Im sorry if thats all your downtown entailed. Once again it was more than a short visit. Im judging by many visits as well as a brief stay.

Thats good that you wouldn't. Unfortunately I was addressing those who did. Besides I am not judging from just a short visit, I've been there numerous times and once for two weeks. I think that would qualify me to judge its downtown.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:27 PM

To compare Syracuse to Binghamton would also be ridiculous, considering that Binghamton is about a third of the size of Syracuse in population.

Sort of like comparing Syracuse to Buffalo.

Wow, where to begin...Again, no one said it was perfect or even bigger, but to say it is completely depressing is not true.

I guess thats a matter of opinion.

but to say that there isn't anything going on downtown would be a lie. I gave a reference as to what goes on downtown, but that obviously got overlooked.

I wasn't neglecting what you posted it's just that I was there two weeks ago, so I didnt need to look at what you posted. I seen your downtown with my own eyes.
If the downtowns of Harrisburg and Albany look bigger, it could possibly be because they are state capitals. So, much of their downtowns could be government buildings. Harrisburg is the size of Binghamton and Albany is a city that is now around 95,000.

I'll give you that, but capitol or not, Harrisburg's downtown should not be twice that of Syracuse.

I suggest looking at the downtown Syracuse website to see what really goes on there and maybe it could change your perception of downtown Syracuse.

Once again. I dont need to I was just there. Unless you have a lot of hidden underground places in the downtown, I am pretty sure I didn't miss anything. Besides I didn't see anyone checking out Buffalo. It appeared they all just gave their opinion on assumptions. It seems like I am the only one who has evidence being that I have been to Syracuse so many times and of course just recently.

By the way, I think people here in Syracuse know how suspect and status quo the leadership has been in the area. So, hopefully they will be heard when the mayoral election comes up.

I am not so sure about that. By reading all of their opinions comparing Buffalo to Syracuse I dont think that they do know that Syracuse has alot of issues.

Also, no one is hating on Buffalo.

What would you call it. To say that a much bigger with more to offer downtown is less than a much smaller, with much less to do downtown, appears to be hating on a place. But I guess our definitions of hating on another place are somewhat different.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:03 AM

623 posts, read 1,817,113 times
The only problem I have with downtown is that the main features of it are bars and restaurants, sure there are some boutique type shops, but compared with the bars they pale in comparison.

You want to liven up downtown Syracuse then first focus on bringing business back downtown--offer reduced rent or taxes to bring up the occupancy rate--aside from the various government buildings the largest sector of business downtown are lawyers. Bring in so more limited retail, instead of building a green tech park offer them space downtown. And forget betting the future on DestinyUSA--retail will only prop up an economy so much with its low paying jobs--and what happens when the economy turns (like it is now)--those abundant retail jobs that the city is looking forward too are going to disappear. Renovate existing downtown structures instead of pumping money into a project like "little italy" which is about 50 years too late(thats another thing that bothers me, when we were house hunting last month I heard all of these great things about it so we drove down there--very few italian sounding businesses and the same urban plight that was there before)

Another thing the city likes to bet on is the convention trade. First, in the new emerging economy corporations are scaling back these types of events, and when they do have them Syracuse is competing against the likes of Orlando and Las Vegas--cities that have more to do on off hours besides drinking (see above), and less face it have more attractive lodging choices (and more rooms) and better facilities. And airports are are cheaper to fly into

It blows my mind that the city leadership have their heads so far up their collective butts. Only bringing in more non retail business is going to save the city. Syracuse would be an ideal place for corporations--especially in the IT sector--to set up regional offices with its close proximity to so many major US and Canadian cities. Offer incentives and they might come. And if they want to become a major convention attraction they will need to bring in more and better hotels, upgrade facilities (and have local companies that can service the convention trade--ie computer, server, A/V, etc rentals and do something with the airport (last I knew it was still city owned)

Old 12-21-2008, 11:47 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,904,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Exactly...People don't even realize that there is a lot of things going on downtown. As for the spots, I understand. Actually, my brother in law and my nephew are in one of those commercials.
Thank you for the links...great info!
12buttons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area