Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2011, 11:59 PM

97 posts, read 261,664 times

Advertisements

Another article on Loguen Crossing... but this time with a quote from COR CEO Steve Aiello.

I did not completely understand the hard feelings toward COR in the beginning, but now I am starting to see a little of what people mean...

Work begins redeveloping Syracuse's Kennedy Square | WRVO Public Media

The quote is just a little upsetting because the first and foremost thing he mentions about the project is "several parking structures". Really?!? Thats the first thing you're going to mention about this fantastic project? And then the added "a little bit of retail in there" comment at the end there just showed a lack of making the urban design a priority.

I dont mean to hate on this project at all. I am easily one of the most excited for it. Its going to hopefully change the entire East Side and expand Downtown's footprint.... But these comments show COR doesnt fully get it and now I see that. I sure how City Government and the Dept of Planning & Sustainability can steer them in the right direction with this design.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 06:10 AM

60 posts, read 109,936 times
I miss Jean's Beans on Fayette Street. What a smell!

Old 12-05-2011, 06:51 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,760,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
For those of us who are passionate about CNY and get frustrated by the pace of development, take heart you are NOT alone! A friend of mine sent me the following link from the Sun-Sentinal (Fort Lauderdale/Broward Co.) that I think you will find interesting (note the first project mentioned). The grass is not greener!!

Slow government: Why is government so darn slow? - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

To be fair, I think the pace of development in Syracuse (and CNY in general) has increased markedly since the sorry days of Mayor Driscoll or Bernardi for that matter. If there are delays, I think it is related to financial markets than government inaction. I commend Mayor Miner and other local leaders (elected and othewise) for their stewardship.

I hope I have not jinxed anything.
Today, Miner and Congel parties will meet to discuss more tax credits, to begin "phase 2" of DestiNY. If she doesn't financially throw him out on his rear, I'm going to be pretty mad. I can see exactly the benefits of his breaks and loan forgiveness, just a few miles away...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/317735_10150966925820697_543140696_21511287_511037 65_n.jpg (broken link)

This went from an empty field to this fortress in a single month. And there are twice as many vehicles to the left of this scene, behind the trees. At least we know where all the construction workers went... and that Congel can accomplish *something* if there is personal motivation. Our reps need to make DestiNY personal for him. And quickly.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:07 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,998,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Today, Miner and Congel parties will meet to discuss more tax credits, to begin "phase 2" of DestiNY. If she doesn't financially throw him out on his rear, I'm going to be pretty mad. I can see exactly the benefits of his breaks and loan forgiveness, just a few miles away...

This went from an empty field to this fortress in a single month. And there are twice as many vehicles to the left of this scene, behind the trees. At least we know where all the construction workers went... and that Congel can accomplish *something* if there is personal motivation. Our reps need to make DestiNY personal for him. And quickly.
Looks like they got another 6 month extension at a 50% premium over what it cost them last time - $1.5M this time. They've certainly done a lot more under the last 6 months than the last few years before...

Old 12-05-2011, 09:26 AM

580 posts, read 1,173,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
Looks like they got another 6 month extension at a 50% premium over what it cost them last time - $1.5M this time. They've certainly done a lot more under the last 6 months than the last few years before...
Yep. Syracuse extends Destiny tax deal for 6 months; price: $1.5 million | syracuse.com

Seems like a best-case scenario for the city. Get a bit of money, allow Pyramid to further demonstrate the infeasibility of future mall expansion, see where things sit in six more months.

Regarding Ese's COR article, that's what some of us feared. Hopefully they don't screw it up too badly. And hopefully COR doesn't submit the winning bid for the Inner Harbor redevelopment. Pencil in Mr. Aiello as someone who just doesn't get it.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:37 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,866,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post

I wasn't thinking of Destiny or Congel when I posted, just some other projects that have not left the gate, i.e. the Mizpah Tower, the Oncenter Convention Center, the Hotel Syracuse (I see a new developer is interested), etc. Since you bring it up, the only problem I see with Destiny now is the community is too invested to turn its back on it. If Pyramid finishes the last two phases (hotel and additonal space - hopefully an IKEA) that satisfy the PILOT agreement, then I am content. The agreement also includes the area between Hiawatha Blvd to Bear Street which I believe should be revisited for other uses and open to other developers.

btw, where is he building that "little bungalow"?

Old 12-05-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ese522 View Post
Another article on Loguen Crossing... but this time with a quote from COR CEO Steve Aiello.

I did not completely understand the hard feelings toward COR in the beginning, but now I am starting to see a little of what people mean...

Work begins redeveloping Syracuse's Kennedy Square | WRVO Public Media

The quote is just a little upsetting because the first and foremost thing he mentions about the project is "several parking structures". Really?!? Thats the first thing you're going to mention about this fantastic project? And then the added "a little bit of retail in there" comment at the end there just showed a lack of making the urban design a priority.

I dont mean to hate on this project at all. I am easily one of the most excited for it. Its going to hopefully change the entire East Side and expand Downtown's footprint.... But these comments show COR doesnt fully get it and now I see that. I sure how City Government and the Dept of Planning & Sustainability can steer them in the right direction with this design.
The full context of his statement reads:

"We're going to reclaim the neighborhood and a lot of the 'superblocks' that have been closed will be reopened again," said Aiello. "You're going to see several parking structures. You're probably going to see a significant apartment project. A few hundred thousand feet of office, some retail that will be on the street, so it will be an urban redevelopment."

Though I agree with your concerns, the project does seem pretty significant, i.e. "several thousand feet of office" and "significant apartment project" that lend to a need for parking. I would suggest that parking remain enclosed within the office and apartment structures and lined with retail and landscaping. Here is a mixed-use project in Sarasota that houses Whole Foods, retail and apartments, parking is enclosed.

http://www.bapdesign.com/mixed-use.swf

Ideally those who work in the Loguen Crossing will live in the development/area. Considering that the development will employ "3,000" people (per news accounts) I doubt all will live/work there and parking will be required. It seems to me this is a "creative" design issue. If they stand out like the garages across from Upstate Medical Center, then I will have a problem with it and COR will live up to some of the negative comments made on this thread. If it is done right, it will work and look nice.

I believe local leaders/planners need to continue to identify solutions that reduce the reliance on automobile's and focus on the pedestrian through planning and design. I think that is happening at a rapid pace in Syracuse through conversions of older and historically significant buildings, i.e. Franklin Square, Armory Square, Landmark, Dey's, Pike, etc, etc, etc. I have always felt that new urbanism is NOT a new concept with its emphasis on mixed-use development (no offense to Andre Duany), but one only has to look at some of the older/historically significant buildings being converted to usable space. Those structures embody everything that Andre Duany encourages in modern planning and design. Syracuse is fortunate to have such mature structures to expedite the redevelopment of its urban core into a true urban neighborhood, but the real challenge will be to emulate that mix of uses in new development.

I think City Government, specifically the Dept of Planning & Sustainability will reveal their true committment (which I believe they have) and talent (i.e. shepard the design of new mixed-use development). I think they are going in the right direction, but Loguen Crossing and the Inner-harbor developments will finally bring Syracuse to the next level of urban design. Also, SUNY Upstate should also be held accountable for its design as well.

Last edited by urbanplanner; 12-05-2011 at 12:37 PM..

Old 12-05-2011, 12:42 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,990 times
Quote:
I wasn't thinking of Destiny or Congel when I posted, just some other projects that have not left the gate, i.e. the Mizpah Tower, the Oncenter Convention Center, the Hotel Syracuse (I see a new developer is interested), etc. Since you bring it up, the only problem I see with Destiny now is the community is too invested to turn its back on it. If Pyramid finishes the last two phases (hotel and additonal space - hopefully an IKEA) that satisfy the PILOT agreement, then I am content. The agreement also includes the area between Hiawatha Blvd to Bear Street which I believe should be revisited for other uses and open to other developers.

Congel is building the house off Woodchuck Hill Road in the town of Manlius. At this point, the house looks somewhat like a french provincial design. Hopefully the finished product won't look too "mobbed up" like some of the houses in the North Syracuse/Cicero/Clay area. Congel's well documented lack of class and taste in design leave open many unsavory possibilities.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:44 PM

Destiny USA deadline extended:

Destiny USA granted another six months for $1.5 million : News : CNYcentral.com

In return, the developers behind the controversial mall expansion project will pay the city a total of $1.5 million in three installments. They will pay the city $500,000 on Tuesday; $500,000 within 30 days; and $500,000 within the next 30 days following the second payment.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:45 PM

845 posts, read 1,688,284 times
Quote:

It's smack dab where the old clubhouse stood back in the days when there was a Snook's Pond swimming club. After the swim club ceased operations it became Sterio's Trademark restaurant for a few short years. If you're on Rte 91 headed to Manlius it is on the right down off the road and just past the Woodchuck Hill Rd. intersection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area