Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2012, 08:17 AM

57 posts, read 147,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Are you interested in other villages or just Liverpool?
I have really only looked at Liverpool (and Berkeley neighborhood) up to this point...mainly because I am familiar with the area (grew up in Bayberry) and still have a lot of family and friends in the Liverpool area...plus the proximatey to downtown, highways and the walkability of the area are all very appealing to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 09:56 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cusetownusa View Post
I have really only looked at Liverpool (and Berkeley neighborhood) up to this point...mainly because I am familiar with the area (grew up in Bayberry) and still have a lot of family and friends in the Liverpool area...plus the proximatey to downtown, highways and the walkability of the area are all very appealing to me.
Yeah, that makes total sense. I think some of the other villages could work like Manlius and Fayetteville, but is further away from family. Baldwinsville and North Syracuse could work, but both vary in terms of walkability and may lack certain things or those things are more spread out throughout those villages. I also think that the village of Marcellus is somewhat of a sleeper as well.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:16 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yeah, that makes total sense. I think some of the other villages could work like Manlius and Fayetteville, but is further away from family. Baldwinsville and North Syracuse could work, but both vary in terms of walkability and may lack certain things or those things are more spread out throughout those villages. I also think that the village of Marcellus is somewhat of a sleeper as well.
If I couldn't live in the Village of Liverpool, the Village of Manlius would be my second choice. Bville would be third, but agree that it's limited in walkability. North Syracuse is VERY limited in walkability - I don't even know why it's considered a village.

Here's a site that I check from time to time - http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...ertysearch.asp

Old 01-20-2012, 06:44 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
If I couldn't live in the Village of Liverpool, the Village of Manlius would be my second choice. Bville would be third, but agree that it's limited in walkability. North Syracuse is VERY limited in walkability - I don't even know why it's considered a village.

Here's a site that I check from time to time - http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...ertysearch.asp
I think with North Syracuse, Main Street is walkable, but once you get out of the main streets, there are very few streets with sidewalks. Mattydale and Nedrow are the same way.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:20 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,990 times
Article on downtown development from Post-Standard columnist Dick Case:

A second chance for downtown Syracuse? Big plans underway for 300 block of South Salina Street | syracuse.com

Old 01-20-2012, 02:45 PM

97 posts, read 261,664 times
I thought it was a great article. Really great to hear about the retail opportunities that could come from the Pike Block project.

Some stores I would love to see include:

Anthropologie- Owned by Urban Outfitters, which is having big success in Armory Square. They just opened Anthropologie stores in Buffalo & Rochester so I would imagine Syracuse is high on their list.

American Apparel- Upscale store similair to UO. Have no locations in Upstate New York, but Armory would be the perfect location to open a trendy store.

REI- Bob Neidt reported on this Sports/Athletic retailer that just opened a new downtown store in SoHo. Completely retrofitted the building, which is a prime example of something they could do in Syracuse with VIP & the Pike Block.

There is more as well, I just cannot think of them at the moment.

But I believe having this new reatil is going to be huge for downtown and is necessary if it hopes to grow & prosper. It cannot be just a spot for bars & nighclubs. There needs to be a healthy mix of uses, including businesses and employers. The new addition of businesses & retaining existing companies, like Bond, Schoeneck & King is key to more projects like the Pike Block occuring Downtown.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:10 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,016 times
New indoor-outdoor bike park near Syracuse is cranking it up | syracuse.com

Old 01-24-2012, 11:44 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,919 times
It looks similar to Van's Skate Parks that are in malls across the country. Hopefully they can make enough money to pay for the insurance premiums that these types of places need.

Wasn't something like this supposed to open at the Headrush Action Sport Park where there is paintball now (State Fair Blvd area). I remember there being a grand proposal with a hotel, bike track, paintball and other things including the Quaker Steak and Lube that did go up. I can't find anything on the project, but I swear there was something big going on over there and haven't heard anything since.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:42 PM

107 posts, read 219,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
I can't find anything on the project, but I swear there was something big going on over there and haven't heard anything since.
Think this might be it? I'm kind of surprised i haven't seen this pop up on syracuse.com ...ever

Maya Indoor Water Park and Resort - Syracuse, NY

Old 01-24-2012, 06:14 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,919 times
This was part of the plan, but when the project was first announced, it was much larger. Despite delays, developer says plans for water park in Van Buren are still afloat | syracuse.com

The link is dead now, but here is the story. Good to know I am not completely loosing my mind.

http://www.syracuse.com/business/pos...l=1&thispage=2 (broken link)

Big dream takes shape in Van Buren
$80 million sports park development is under way
Thursday, October 12, 2006
By Rick Moriarty
Staff writer
Here's a new twist for the Syracuse area: A big development that promises to draw people in large numbers from hundreds of miles away is being built.

The first phase of construction on an $80 million action sports park is well under way near Interstate 690 and the state Thruway in Van Buren.

The first building, an 87-room Wingate Inn hotel, quietly opened last week at Winchell and Walters roads.

The frame of a 50,000-square-foot building that will house a motocross racing track is up. It is scheduled to open in mid-November.

The park's developer, Action Developers Inc., said construction of an addition that will triple the size of an indoor paintball facility from 31,000 square feet to 92,000 square feet will start within 90 days. The facility opened in 2003. With the addition, it will have skateboarding, go-cart racing and BMX bicycle racing in addition to paintball contests.

A 400-seat motorsports-themed Quaker Steak & Lube restaurant, the first in the state, will be built at the same time the paintball facility is expanded, the developer says. Quaker Steak & Lube restaurants resemble 1950s-style filling stations on the outside. Inside, racing cars, sports cars and motorcycles hang from the ceiling.

Construction on the central attraction a water park housed in a 90,000-square-foot building is scheduled to start in early 2007 and open in late 2007 or early 2008. Land behind the Wingate Inn is being cleared for the water park.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 01-25-2012 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: copyrighted edit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area