Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 10:28 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
Its my understanding that businesses displaced by the Kinney Drugs development across the street - Landmark Development, Trade in Cash Pawn Shop, Working Class Tattoo and Grooves Salon, Extreme Pizza Kitchen and Fifi’s Ice Cream - will be relocated to the old “Steak and Sundae” building on the northeast corner of James and Midler noted in the link. I bet that intersection will look pretty good once it is completed.
I was excited until I heard the Cash Pawn Shop and Working Class Tattoo are still tenants. It's businesses like those that detract from the quality of life in cities and first ring suburbs. Sadly, the people who buy and sell pilfered junk at pawn shops and sport multiple tattoos comprise the majority of the younger (40 and under) population in many working class urban, suburban and rural communities in the rustbelt. It also seems like there has been a proliferation of "head shops" in city neighborhoods and the Route 11 corridor in the northern suburbs. It would be nice to see a crackdown by local police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 10:59 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,866,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
I was excited until I heard the Cash Pawn Shop and Working Class Tattoo are still tenants. It's businesses like those that detract from the quality of life in cities and first ring suburbs. Sadly, the people who buy and sell pilfered junk at pawn shops and sport multiple tattoos comprise the majority of the younger (40 and under) population in many working class urban, suburban and rural communities in the rustbelt. It also seems like there has been a proliferation of "head shops" in city neighborhoods and the Route 11 corridor in the northern suburbs. It would be nice to see a crackdown by local police.
I agree, not the best businesses for an area undergoing revitalization. As for Eastwood, I find it ironic that they would continue to allow such businesses considering the amount of time spent scrutinizing plans for the Walgreens, the Eastwood overlay, etc. To be fair, tattoo and pawn shops have evolved to become "mainstream" in many areas (esp. here in Florida) with varrying degrees of "sophistication". Plus, I am sure they are grandfathered in and there is nothing anyone can do. Btw, I am not sure if those businesses are definitely moving into the former Steak and Sundae, I pulled the information from an Eagle News online article (see link).

http://www.eaglenewsonline.com/news/2012/feb/22/kinney-drugs-gets-ok-eastwood/

Last edited by urbanplanner; 05-29-2012 at 11:14 AM..

Old 05-29-2012, 11:18 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
It also seems like there has been a proliferation of "head shops" in city neighborhoods and the Route 11 corridor in the northern suburbs. It would be nice to see a crackdown by local police.
I have a feeling the head shops will disappear just as quick as they popped up after this news U.S. Senate passes federal ban on sale of synthetic pot - NY Daily News

The same thing happened with the roll your own cigarette places. They found a loophole to get away from the steep NY taxes charged on cigarettes and once the loophole was closed, most of them disappeared or are on their way out.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I agree, not the best businesses for an area undergoing revitalization. As for Eastwood, I find it ironic that they would continue to allow such businesses considering the amount of time spent scrutinizing plans for the Walgreens, the Eastwood overlay, etc. To be fair, tattoo and pawn shops have evolved to become "mainstream" in many areas (esp. here in Florida) with varrying degrees of "sophistication". Plus, I am sure they are grandfathered in and there is nothing anyone can do. Btw, I am not sure if those businesses are definitely moving into the former Steak and Sundae, I pulled the information from an Eagle News online article (see link).

You're right - tattoo and pawn shops have become mainstream in many places, likely at least in part because of numerous highly rated reality television shows. Despite being a twenty something, an age group that has largely embraced both pursuits, I avoid going near such places. Each to their own. I especially despise pawn shops because I know at least a sizable amount of merchandise was stolen from innocent, hard working people. Having been a burglary victim myself, this hits close to home, no pun intended.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:46 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,998,212 times
Quote:

If it doesn't require signage or rezoning, there's not a whole lot they can do about it (there was some annoyance on their listserv, but since it required no zoning or planning commission changes, they couldn't do jack about it).

Old 05-29-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
I have a feeling the head shops will disappear just as quick as they popped up after this news U.S. Senate passes federal ban on sale of synthetic pot - NY Daily News

The same thing happened with the roll your own cigarette places. They found a loophole to get away from the steep NY taxes charged on cigarettes and once the loophole was closed, most of them disappeared or are on their way out.
Hopefully this will happen. I still hear those annoying commercials for this place called "Tebs" on KRock and several other radio stations. When in town, I heard a commercial for one of the roll your own tobacco shops. I normally don't like excessive regulation and the mandates that are so pervasive in NYS. On the other hand, I like NYS's notorious regulations if they make things more onerous for shady businesses that threaten the quality of life.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:16 PM

84 posts, read 124,949 times
I found the counties recent "Save the Rain" infrastructure plan. Its a huge > 450 page document, but it has some nice renderings of projects that are planned. One that caught my eye was the bank alley enhancements. I heard about that last year on syracuse.com. Right now, it looks like its in the design phase. That project would do a lot to help the development of buildings in the area.

Last edited by Tyrosine; 05-29-2012 at 05:29 PM..

Old 05-30-2012, 01:02 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,866,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrosine View Post
I found the counties recent "Save the Rain" infrastructure plan. Its a huge > 450 page document, but it has some nice renderings of projects that are planned. One that caught my eye was the bank alley enhancements. I heard about that last year on syracuse.com. Right now, it looks like its in the design phase. That project would do a lot to help the development of buildings in the area.
Great find, thanks! I am curious if the bank alley project also includes the alley between Jefferson Street and Fayette Street, the document showed Fayette Street to Washington Street.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:04 AM

288 posts, read 510,435 times
Interesting article about the connective corridor syracuse.com : Will the Corridor connect with the people? Syracuse University-led project is becoming a reality

Old 05-31-2012, 09:38 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,998,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn88 View Post
I was rather amused by some of the skeptical comments in there. At least in the case of the E. Genesee sections of the project, that stretch was long overdue for a full reconstruction anyways.

And count me among those who say thank you for reducing it to two lanes in that area. Since with street parking there were only about 1.5 lanes in each direction, I can't count the number of times I've nearly been sideswiped driving over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area