Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 06:10 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times

Advertisements

THANK YOU for pointing that out......................

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
yes- we hear this all the time. fact of the matter is, most Floridians are transplants who CHOSE to live here because we wanted to live in a sub-tropical environment to enjoy the weather, beaches, sunshine, and palm trees. It is not that we are wimps, it is just disappointing when it gets cold.

MORE IMPORTANTLY- Keep in mind, many of our plants die when it gets cold out. Much of floridas industry/agriculture is based on things like citrus which thrive in the sub tropical climate. When it gets cold, peoples expensive landscaping (which many times is dictated by home owners associations) die, and Floridas economy suffers because agricultural regulations dictate how much citrus and other indigenous plants (like palm trees and plants which are also exported) cant be harvested and shipped fast enough. That is why Florida declares a state-of-emergency when it gets cold.... The SoE lifts agricultural and interstate commerce laws and regulations allowing us to harvest and export things before they die, but many times anywhere we would take them would be colder, or supermarkets then have large quantities of fruits, forcing them to sale the items for dirt cheap, causing them, shipping companies, and farmers to lose money.

Unless you understand Floridian lifestyle and economy, these discussions are best reserved for floridians who have educated themselves on local downfalls of unusually cold weather. It is more then just being a bunch of sissys.
<< BEFORE MOVING HERE.....

REZFREAK...You have not missed much. People still don't look in the mirror before stepping on the beach in a bathing suit that used to fit the when they were TODDLERS, Kids still throw sand at you for no apparent reason....theme parts still have looooooong lines before you set foot on a ride, people still haven't found DEODORANT be part of their lives, others are unaware that motorized carts are for INVALIDS (with missing legs and the like), others still have no clue how to say "excuse me" after they push you to get ahead 1 foot, food sucks royally and a fish basket with 3 pieces of fish is $8.99!!!!! and soda $2.50 WHY? because "THEY CAN".....
Sooooooo, I think I pretty much covers it....no worries, we only been to the beach 4 times this year....don't feel like I missed on anything. I can tell you this, the highest rated attraction when coming back from the beach is spending some hours CLEANING your car off from all the sand you will be bringing back...those carpets LOVE sand!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 06:16 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,309,843 times
^^^Algia,

Most of what you pointed out is an America problem, not a Tampa of Florida problem

I find fresh fish to be cheaper here then in, say, West Texas.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:44 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times
I know, which is why this whole concept of "running from the big bad winter" to come to "year round 80's sunny Florida" is moot point.

We get cold here too defeating the northerners expectations of hot year round and lying on the beach as they all expect! It is feeezing by the beach now and like that wasn't enough, the wind makes it feel even colder, we went to the beach once in January in 2003 and never again will I go this time of year (November through April)...my down jacket felt like a t-shirt in that wind, froze my b off.

I just don't like it is when a place it really overrated. This is when you see just what little there is to do when the beaches are off the chart. Luckily sub divisions built in the 80's have fireplaces....hehe

My point is and always was that weather should really be last when choosing a place to live.

It was in the 50's in NYC the other day and by all means they are nowhere nears the tropics...in the past, this time of the year they would be buried in snow. Time changes and so is the weather.....That you can't change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
^^^Algia,

Most of what you pointed out is an America problem, not a Tampa of Florida problem

I find fresh fish to be cheaper here then in, say, West Texas.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:56 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,080,207 times
right now I am taking a trip to Raleigh and when you step out of the hotel and it's 18 degrees, believe me you appreciate the 'cold' weather at home in Pinellas however, I did enjoy the snow at the weekend!

Old 12-08-2010, 08:19 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,125,986 times
Looks like we made it through the coldest part of this cold spell. Lows are to be back in the 40's and this weekend 70's for the high and 50's for the low... phew!

Is it possible this is the coldest part of this winter?

Old 12-08-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Looks like we made it through the coldest part of this cold spell. Lows are to be back in the 40's and this weekend 70's for the high and 50's for the low... phew!

hush your mouth... Dont Jinx it

Old 12-08-2010, 08:37 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,603,566 times
There was frost on the ground in Carrollwood this morning! Brrrr.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:42 AM

Old 12-08-2010, 08:47 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,607,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post

Last night they said next week would be colder

And our heat broke today. Again.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:40 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,759,472 times
I guess its obvious I'm a transplant. I went to a birth class last night, car said it was low 40s. I was wearing jeans, a tshirt, and flip flops. I did have a very light hoodie with me, but it was in my hands, not on me. I was asked if i was from 'around here' because it was obvious I was not a native
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay