Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 10:40 AM

2 posts, read 26,176 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about Tampa.

I am in my 20s, I have a toddler so it's important that I live in a good area. I'd be making this move by myself, I have no family in Florida besides my step-grandparents. I also have a few friends in the area.

I currently live in the Boston area.

I work for a company that will allow me to transfer, though I would be taking a pay cut but since the cost of living in Florida is lower than here, I am assuming this won't be a problem.

What am I curious about, though, are things like childcare and healthcare. Here in MA, I have MassHealth, I don't pay for health insurance. Is anything like that offered in Florida, income based insurance? My toddler has asthma, it's important that I have good healthcare for us.

How is the school system in Tampa? Each time I visit, I barely see police. Here in Boston, police is on every street corner. Is Tampa a safe area?

Is there anything like childcare assistance available? Here, my toddler's daycare is $70/day. $350/week but I only pay $200 (state pays the rest) again, because it's an income based program that is available here in Massachusetts.

Thankfully I do not require it now, but we never know what the future holds, so I'm curious- Is there an unemployment program in Florida? Here, if you lose your job through no fault of your own and you have been there at least six months with a good record, you can apply for unemployment and get some type of income while you look for another job. Again, I don't require it now but it's helpful to know just in case, is there a foodstamps program available in Florida?

It's scary to make a move by YOURSELF when you're young, especially when there is a toddler in the picture. So I am just trying to gather all of the information I can.

I appreciate any other thoughts or insight.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 11:27 AM

2 posts, read 26,176 times
Anyone?

Old 04-04-2013, 11:49 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,892,772 times
There are programs like that similar in Florida that Help you with child care, Also we have practically the same heath insurance program here it is just called medicaid Florida. Tampa is a mix some places have good schools some don't as with any other place. There are tons of areas of Tampa that have top notch schools, And they are New Tampa, Lithia/Fishawk, Westchase, Keystone, Cheval, Lutz, Southwest Tampa, Western Pasco County, and Western Manatee county. There are more i just named general places. All these areas have very low crime rates also. Lol, of course there are Food Stamps and unemployment programs. Well, good luck on your move!

Old 04-04-2013, 12:14 PM

892 posts, read 1,576,725 times
Ok, I will give you my opinion...........and as soon as I do, a few others on this forum will see that and they will likely chime in and disagree with what I say......

The fact that you can transfer with your existing company will make things a lot easier for you.

Only you know HOW MUCH of a "pay cut" you will be taking.......it may or may not seem like much- but wages are definately less here than in Mass.....also, wages tend to "stagnate" here......same wage for years and years- business (and workers) moves MUCH SLOWER down here than in Mass.

Florida does not offer any type of universal state health care.....nor do I think there is any state assistance for child care......quite frankly, those type of things are not possible in a "low tax" state with no income tax and a "deep south" mentality in state government......not only that, but there is a very obvious " anti northeast attitude" down here- Florida isn't really interseted in listening to how things "up north" may work better or be more successful......even if they are better......doesn't matter- it's not happening down here.

The school system (in general- there are always a few exceptions) is not up to par with Massachusetts...often times when kids from the northeast start school here- they are way ahead of the students in thier grade here in Florida.....that was the case with me when my family moved here from Massachusetts.

Most of Florida (again...in general) is "cheaper" as it pertains to housing costs than the greater Boston area. However, it may not be any "cheaper" than other parts of Massachusetts that are not in the Boston area.....that would greatly depend on where in Mass that you currently live...

I don't want to "rain on your parade"......but the saying "life's a beach" is exactly that....just a saying.

From the information that you provided........I will say that if you are going to take a pay cut, AND you rely on universal state health care AND state assistance for child care......

I don't think moving to Florida is a good idea.....if you were going to make MORE money down here- than I think you would be able to offset not having state healthcare and child care assistance......but.....

Less money + moving costs + no state health insurance + no state child care assistance = bad idea.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:26 PM

892 posts, read 1,576,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
There are programs like that similar in Florida that Help you with child care, Also we have practically the same heath insurance program here it is just called medicaid Florida. Tampa is a mix some places have good schools some don't as with any other place. There are tons of areas of Tampa that have top notch schools, And they are New Tampa, Lithia/Fishawk, Westchase, Keystone, Cheval, Lutz, Southwest Tampa, Western Pasco County, and Western Manatee county. There are more i just named general places. All these areas have very low crime rates also. Lol, of course there are Food Stamps and unemployment programs. Well, good luck on your move!

Well.....I stand corrected about the state health insurance and childcare. I would be willing to bet it greatly depends on your income down here- if you "make to much".....you don't qualify.....

Again, I could be wrong about that.......I would also bet that whatever Massachusetts has is more wide-spread and inclusive than down here....

I also forgot to answer your question about the "amount of cops".......I don't have any numbers to reference, but I also think it is very noticable......I often travel back to Massachusetts and New Jersey and it is IMMEDIATELY NOTICABLE- the amount of law enforcement presence compared to here. Maybe it's because we don't have state income tax?.....

Although it appears that I may have been wrong in regards to what I referenced above.......

I still think, given the info that you provided, that it would be a bad idea to move here.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:58 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,892,772 times
Yeah, The schools here are not quite as good ad #2 mass, But Florida is #6 so I do not think there is that much of a difference. All of the government assistance programs can be found out by simple Google searches. The reason why you probably don't have as much law enforcement is because there is not as much crime. In the town I am in I feel like we have too many polices that have nothing to do. Ultimately if you are unhappy with where you are, And the opportunity for change has arisen then MOVE!

Old 04-04-2013, 02:09 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,201,201 times
Well, the online calculators say you can take as much as 33% hit in income coming down, which I find it hard to believe outside of the house expense. So, you are advised to check the numbers and not assume it won't be a problem.

I know a family who get a subsidized daycare for their kid. What I don't know is whether this is from the state or just the place their kid is, doing the subsiding.

IMO, the schools are good in many places so I think you should OK there. But I don't know if good for me is good for you too. Most people seem to put Florida schools down but that's not my opinion and I have seen my share of places.

What was your motivation for moving by the way? I didn't see that. Please make prem trips and make sure that this is what you want to do before deciding. You will save yourself a lot of headache.

I wish you best of luck!

Old 04-04-2013, 04:35 PM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,353 times
There is also no state income tax here which should have an impact on the severity of your pay cut.

Having left MA a few years ago I would never go back in a million years but it is not the same for everyone. In my opinion the people in FL are nicer and less intense than MA but I do miss the intelligence in MA - Florida often likes to wallow in its stupidity. There are some things I have come across here that just make me shake my head. This state is so far behind and backward compared to other states I have lived in. (But then again this is the southern USA) The history of corruption in state and local government here is very evident.

The weather however is awesome!

It is good that you are doing your homework now so you can hopefully minimize any major surprises if you do indeed move.
Good luck to you.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:40 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,164,233 times
Was not case for us, btw. OUr kids are still a bit behind here in Florida schools. We came from an a+ rated NY Manhattan public and the work was easy there, as were the tests.

Fast forward to Florida publics ---- science , math, ela NOT AS easy for our kids and the work here is harder and more advanced than our NY public. Kids had to play catchup in the beginning..... and still are.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:54 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,889,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garson View Post
There are some things I have come across here that just make me shake my head. This state is so far behind and backward compared to other states I have lived in. (But then again this is the southern USA) The history of corruption in state and local government here is very evident.
OP, Attitudes like this ^^^ is why people from Florida hate northerners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay