Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 10:56 AM

4,479 posts, read 3,847,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
The internet is the greatest source of information and misinformation the world has ever seen. This thread is a good example of the latter. So ridiculous.

I disagree. There is no misinformation in this thread. There is a healthy discussion about whether Westchase is deteriorating. People who have invested in that neighborhood have a right to talk about it and be concerned.

I think the fact that ALDI opened a store in Westchase, what has always been a mid-to-high income area, is interesting myself. ALDI does not target high earners. ALDI targets low earners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 12:39 PM

40 posts, read 36,270 times
Well, West Chase, Florida is quickly going into the dumps. You can see the crime increasing here drastically and
the people here look like they came from a horror story.

Old 07-03-2019, 03:52 PM

3 posts, read 2,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian813 View Post
Well, West Chase, Florida is quickly going into the dumps. You can see the crime increasing here drastically and
the people here look like they came from a horror story.
I live nearby in Waterchase and have seen nothing what you are talking about. 33626 is one of the safest zip codes in Tampa Bay.

Old 07-03-2019, 04:09 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,430,572 times
I went into a brand new Aldi’s as I never was in one so I wanted to see what it is all about.

Went in, looked. Won’t be back, ever.

Old 07-03-2019, 04:30 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,248,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post
I went into a brand new Aldi’s as I never was in one so I wanted to see what it is all about.

Went in, looked. Won’t be back, ever.
Nothing in that store to make anyone go back jack. It was just dead, dark and dumpy , at least the one in west Pasco as the whole area is a dump.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:20 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I disagree. There is no misinformation in this thread. There is a healthy discussion about whether Westchase is deteriorating. People who have invested in that neighborhood have a right to talk about it and be concerned.

I think the fact that ALDI opened a store in Westchase, what has always been a mid-to-high income area, is interesting myself. ALDI does not target high earners. ALDI targets low earners.
One would have to have lived in the Hamptons his entire life to put Westchase and Ghetto in the same sentence. There is indeed a lifecycle to US communities but Westchase is a long way from the bottom of that cycle, and the bottom will not come close to "ghetto". Suggesting the presence of an Aldi (right next to the Costco) is indicative of anything is baseless. Not everyone enjoys being robbed by Publix. Aldi has a following even among the well-to-do.

I'm here for the summer looking at houses in the area. I don't have a clue where in Westchase you think low earners can buy a home. Do you think low earners buy homes north of 300K? Even the rentals in Westchase are not cheap. I don't see spending less than 500K for a home here if we decided on this area.

Old 07-04-2019, 02:37 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,523,924 times
I remember when the subdivision "Twelve Oaks" was considered the "high end" neighborhood.. LOL..
Now its Section 8.
Then came along Countryway/Westchase.
Now Countryway is Section 8 LOL.

So ya... I can somewhat agree that Westchase has lost some of its "fakeness".

Who wants to live way out in the suburbs anyway?

Old 07-04-2019, 04:33 PM

4,479 posts, read 3,847,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
One would have to have lived in the Hamptons his entire life to put Westchase and Ghetto in the same sentence. There is indeed a lifecycle to US communities but Westchase is a long way from the bottom of that cycle, and the bottom will not come close to "ghetto". Suggesting the presence of an Aldi (right next to the Costco) is indicative of anything is baseless. Not everyone enjoys being robbed by Publix. Aldi has a following even among the well-to-do.

I'm here for the summer looking at houses in the area. I don't have a clue where in Westchase you think low earners can buy a home. Do you think low earners buy homes north of 300K? Even the rentals in Westchase are not cheap. I don't see spending less than 500K for a home here if we decided on this area.

Nobody is saying that Westchase is at the "bottom" of any cycle. The discussion is about whether Westchase is deteriorating. Nobody is saying that Westchase is the new Suitcase City. I think what the poster is saying is that Westchase is deteriorating. There are many degrees to that.

All I am saying is that ALDI (in the U.S.) puts stores near low-income earners. That is not "baseless". That is a fact. You can ask the CEO in Chicago like I did, and he will tell you that is a fact. The vast majority of ALDI shoppers are low income. Why did ALDI put a store in Westchase, if not because it knew it could attract its target market of low earners? Yes some well-to-do shop at ALDI, but the vast majority of ALDI shoppers are low-income.

There are a lot of low income earners in Westchase (retirees, or those who bought when it was much cheaper 10 years ago). Westchase is also surrounded by communities full of low earners such as Citrus Park, Oldsmar, Town N Country, etc.

Last edited by sinatras; 07-04-2019 at 04:42 PM..

Old 07-04-2019, 09:09 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,744 times
Quote:
Nobody is saying that Westchase is at the "bottom" of any cycle. The discussion is about whether Westchase is deteriorating. Nobody is saying that Westchase is the new Suitcase City. I think what the poster is saying is that Westchase is deteriorating. There are many degrees to that.

All I am saying is that ALDI (in the U.S.) puts stores near low-income earners. That is not "baseless". That is a fact. You can ask the CEO in Chicago like I did, and he will tell you that is a fact. The vast majority of ALDI shoppers are low income. Why did ALDI put a store in Westchase, if not because it knew it could attract its target market of low earners? Yes some well-to-do shop at ALDI, but the vast majority of ALDI shoppers are low-income.

There are a lot of low income earners in Westchase (retirees, or those who bought when it was much cheaper 10 years ago). Westchase is also surrounded by communities full of low earners such as Citrus Park, Oldsmar, Town N Country, etc.
1. Happy 4th to you!

2. The title of this thread includes the word "ghetto" and questions whether or not Westchase in becoming one. I would hope you can agree this is a gross exaggeration and not even in the same zip code as reality. Ghetto is not synonymous with lower (not low) earning neighborhoods where homes still cost north of 300K.

3. Aldi has a goal of being the 3rd largest retailer by 2022. They intend to put stores everywhere. Perhaps there was a fighter jet flying overhead when you talked to their CEO… Regardless of intent, a simple drive through the parking lot of the one near Westchase will tell you how poor the people are who shop there. I'm not low income and we shop there for some items. There are a lot of lower income areas in the vicinity of that Aldi. Attributing its presence at that location to a degradation of Westchase is what I was calling baseless. Besides, technically, Westchase ends at Sheldon Rd which means the Aldi is just outside.

4. Degradation of a neighborhood is all relative. If you lived somewhere where the average home was north of $1M and a developer decided to build a subdivision in close vicinity with homes prices at 500K some would worry and fret about their home values. That hardly means the neighborhood is on a path to becoming a ghetto though. I've lived in areas before where lower priced (not to be confused with low price) housing was built and saw people get all worked up about it. Frankly, I find some of it to be snooty.

5. What I'm disliking most about Westchase is how clean and pristine it is. I like a little grit and character. Might be why the Old NE part of ST. Pete is still my favorite. It hits that sweet spot for me. Westchase has a bit of that "Pleasantville" vibe to it. That's why I find this thread ridiculous. People worrying about Mayberry 2.0 becoming a ghetto lol.

Last edited by CarawayDJ; 07-04-2019 at 09:56 PM..

Old 07-04-2019, 10:45 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:

No, ALDI doesn't only target low income areas. Perhaps you need to travel more domestically, but they don't carry French butter at any of their locations - low income or otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay