Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 05:53 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
No, ALDI doesn't only target low income areas. Perhaps you need to travel more domestically, but they don't carry French butter at any of their locations - low income or otherwise.

ALDI sister store Trader Joe's has a decent French butter from Brittany! Perhaps it's only a matter of time before ALDI carries it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
There are a lot of lower income areas in the vicinity of that Aldi.

Hence the reason why ALDI put a store in Westchase.

There were no fighter jets flying overhead when the CEO told me that ALDI's target market are low income earners.

There were no fighter jets flying overhead when he also told me "We don't put stores in fancy neighborhoods. We put them where are bread and butter are."

You think Westchase is Mayberry 2.0? That opinion is clearly not shared by everyone.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:37 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Hence the reason why ALDI put a store in Westchase.

There were no fighter jets flying overhead when the CEO told me that ALDI's target market are low income earners.

There were no fighter jets flying overhead when he also told me "We don't put stores in fancy neighborhoods. We put them where are bread and butter are."

You think Westchase is Mayberry 2.0? That opinion is clearly not shared by everyone.
Well, when the CEO of Aldi isn't rubbing elbows with you he is giving interviews. In this article https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/08/groc...footprint.html he mentions:

“It’s pretty simple,” Aldi U.S. CEO Jason Hart told CNBC. “We are going where competitors are, we like to be close to the competition for convenience reasons for our customer. We like them to shop exclusively Aldi, but we recognize that consumers are going to more than one store.”

According to Hart, “we are appealing to a wider range of customers and we are appealing at an accelerating rate to more and more customers as they discover the difference at Aldi, which is saving money on high quality products in a convenient, less frustrating shopping environment.”

And once again, the Aldi is placed just outside the border of Westchase.

Yes, Mayberry 2.0. Feel free to point me to any areas in Westchase that are remotely close to being sketchy and run down. In fact, I'd sincerely like to know where they are. My gut feeling tells me what you are considering "deteriorating" about Westchase is nothing more than the presence of newer subdivisions with homes priced in the 300's; something those living in nearby homes valued 600k+ find appalling. How dare those people making lower middle income wages live near us lol.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:47 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
This is a reminder of when I worked in the schools, one of which was Newsome HS in Fishhawk.

I heard some kids in the library ("media center") saying less than complimentary things about some other kids at another table nearby. One of the things they said was something about these kids "living in the ghetto".

I wasn't aware of any "satellite" students, i.e., students being bused in from lower socioeconomic areas, being at Newsome. When I queried one of my associates, they just laughed and said that the kids were referring to the first/original section of Fishhawk, that is, the oldest part. Since it was "old" and the homes less expensive than those around them, it is considered "ghetto" by the kids in the newer sections.

So it's all a matter of perception, I guess.

RM

Old 07-05-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
Well, when the CEO of Aldi isn't rubbing elbows with you he is giving interviews. In this article https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/08/groc...footprint.html he mentions:

“It’s pretty simple,” Aldi U.S. CEO Jason Hart told CNBC. “We are going where competitors are, we like to be close to the competition for convenience reasons for our customer. We like them to shop exclusively Aldi, but we recognize that consumers are going to more than one store.”

According to Hart, “we are appealing to a wider range of customers and we are appealing at an accelerating rate to more and more customers as they discover the difference at Aldi, which is saving money on high quality products in a convenient, less frustrating shopping environment.”

And once again, the Aldi is placed just outside the border of Westchase.

Yes, Mayberry 2.0. Feel free to point me to any areas in Westchase that are remotely close to being sketchy and run down. In fact, I'd sincerely like to know where they are. My gut feeling tells me what you are considering "deteriorating" about Westchase is nothing more than the presence of newer subdivisions with homes priced in the 300's; something those living in nearby homes valued 600k+ find appalling. How dare those people making lower middle income wages live near us lol.

I'm well aware of ALDI's expansion strategy. Their target market and the vast majority of ALDI shoppers continue to be lower income earners, no matter how much you'd like to say that ALDI is going to be opening stores next in Aspen, Nantucket and Malibu (LOL, they're not). The vast majority of ALDI shoppers continue to be lower income earners, no matter how much you'd like to imagine that all you see in the ALDI Westchase parking lot is Maseratis and Teslas (you don't).

You, with your Pollyanna, hoity-toity view of Westchase, might think that the area is a better fit for a Trader Joe's or a Whole Foods or a Fresh Market. But clearly it's not since none of those stores have any intention of opening in Westchase.

I don't think Westchase is "the ghetto" nor do I think it's Mayberry 2.0. It doesn't have to be either of those two things to be in decline.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
This is a reminder of when I worked in the schools, one of which was Newsome HS in Fishhawk.

I heard some kids in the library ("media center") saying less than complimentary things about some other kids at another table nearby. One of the things they said was something about these kids "living in the ghetto".

I wasn't aware of any "satellite" students, i.e., students being bused in from lower socioeconomic areas, being at Newsome. When I queried one of my associates, they just laughed and said that the kids were referring to the first/original section of Fishhawk, that is, the oldest part. Since it was "old" and the homes less expensive than those around them, it is considered "ghetto" by the kids in the newer sections.

RM

Exactly!

Old 07-05-2019, 09:35 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,585,616 times
Quote:

RM
When I was working construction over in country way I always considered westchase just another part of country way. I was working in a home in westchase and I was told by a homeowner they are "most differently separate". Even though they are both off country way blvd. For the longest time most of us trades people called it all country way since they were there first.

Old 07-05-2019, 04:43 PM

30,433 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:

RM
Kinda like back in the 60's when my sister and other kids on the bus that lived in Danashores would make fun of the kids in TNC. It was not so bad thru the 70's and early 80's. Then they built 12 Oaks around 1978 and that was the new fancy place for that area. But by the later 90's it was pretty run down.

Old 07-05-2019, 06:30 PM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
ALDI sister store Trader Joe's has a decent French butter from Brittany! Perhaps it's only a matter of time before ALDI carries it.
Aldi and Trader Joe's aren't "sister stores". The companies are owned by two brothers (Aldi Nord/Trader Joe's and Aldi Sud/Aldi) and beyond that coincidence share no other business relationships.

Old 07-05-2019, 07:17 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,386 times
Quote:
I'm well aware of ALDI's expansion strategy. Their target market and the vast majority of ALDI shoppers continue to be lower income earners, no matter how much you'd like to say that ALDI is going to be opening stores next in Aspen, Nantucket and Malibu (LOL, they're not). The vast majority of ALDI shoppers continue to be lower income earners, no matter how much you'd like to imagine that all you see in the ALDI Westchase parking lot is Maseratis and Teslas (you don't).

You, with your Pollyanna, hoity-toity view of Westchase, might think that the area is a better fit for a Trader Joe's or a Whole Foods or a Fresh Market. But clearly it's not since none of those stores have any intention of opening in Westchase.

I don't think Westchase is "the ghetto" nor do I think it's Mayberry 2.0. It doesn't have to be either of those two things to be in decline.
Oh, I don't think Westchase is Malibu or Beverly Hills. Is it in decline? I suppose it's all perspective. I can imagine moving here 20 years ago when it was less crowded. Maybe a cat being hit by a car was the worst thing that ever happened. All of the early residents perhaps found their own little piece of paradise around fellow high earners and all was good. And then further development happened as it so often does. Some subdivisions catering to the lower end of middle class began to spring up. Some upscale apartment communities began to spring up. The area became more crowded. There is an occasional burglary. I can see an early resident seeing all of this as decline. Anyone looking at the area for the first time will see an area still solidly middle class with most homes only affordable to the upper middle class. They will see a very safe and clean area.

Once again, my position regarding Aldi is that the presence of an Aldi along the border of Westchase is hardly evidence of decline in Westchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay