Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 12:28 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,024,514 times

Advertisements

To each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
Spring Hill has all the basics. The difference is in the QUALITY of things to do.

I feel that the difference between Spring Hill and communities like Palm Harbor, Oldsmar, Safety Harbor, Dunedin, etc. is that everything is better in those Northern Pinellas communities. In my opinion, the restaurants are better. The beaches are better. The fishing is WAY BETTER. Outdoor activities are better. The parks are better. The movie theaters here are better (and certainly cleaner). The theme parks are better. (Adventure Island vs. Buc Bay … hello?!?) The shopping is better. The educational opportunities for kids are better. There are FAR MORE family-oriented activties here. Even mini-golf is better here! Spring Hill does not have a funky downtown area like Safety Harbor and Dunedin that has festivals each week. We have sidewalks EVERYWHERE down here. People laugh when I mention that as a plus to living here, but after living in Spring Hill for about a decade with few sidewalks, I really do appreciate having them right outside my door!

Like I said, Spring Hill is OK. It certainly has things to do. It is adequate. It has less traffic. Life is very simple up there. Housing is extremely cheap there - where else could you rent a home for $400 or $500 per month or buy a decent looking place for under 100K?

But, in my opinion, (and I know this is an opinion and some may not agree) life down here is just better. The thing is, if you've been living there for a long time, you start to get used to mediocrity. It becomes normal to not have sidewalks. A fake beach with rough, grainy sand and bacteria-filled muddy water becomes normal. Seeing a movie and eating at Chili's for your big night out on the town becomes normal. None of these things are bad (well, maybe the beach water is bad), but I feel it is BETTER elsewhere. People living in Spring Hill don't realize it because they've lived in it for so long. My friends who come down to visit me here from there always say the same thing, "Wow … this is great down here! Now I see why you moved!" We now have friends who have decided to leave the area recently, and my parents just bought a home down here and will be leaving Hernando County as well for the same reasons - they just want BETTER.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 01:29 PM

30,172 posts, read 20,894,173 times
Quote:
Spring Hill has all the basics. The difference is in the QUALITY of things to do.

I feel that the difference between Spring Hill and communities like Palm Harbor, Oldsmar, Safety Harbor, Dunedin, etc. is that everything is better in those Northern Pinellas communities. In my opinion, the restaurants are better. The beaches are better. The fishing is WAY BETTER. Outdoor activities are better. The parks are better. The movie theaters here are better (and certainly cleaner). The theme parks are better. (Adventure Island vs. Buc Bay … hello?!?) The shopping is better. The educational opportunities for kids are better. There are FAR MORE family-oriented activties here. Even mini-golf is better here! Spring Hill does not have a funky downtown area like Safety Harbor and Dunedin that has festivals each week. We have sidewalks EVERYWHERE down here. People laugh when I mention that as a plus to living here, but after living in Spring Hill for about a decade with few sidewalks, I really do appreciate having them right outside my door!

Like I said, Spring Hill is OK. It certainly has things to do. It is adequate. It has less traffic. Life is very simple up there. Housing is extremely cheap there - where else could you rent a home for $400 or $500 per month or buy a decent looking place for under 100K?

But, in my opinion, (and I know this is an opinion and some may not agree) life down here is just better. The thing is, if you've been living there for a long time, you start to get used to mediocrity. It becomes normal to not have sidewalks. A fake beach with rough, grainy sand and bacteria-filled muddy water becomes normal. Seeing a movie and eating at Chili's for your big night out on the town becomes normal. None of these things are bad (well, maybe the beach water is bad), but I feel it is BETTER elsewhere. People living in Spring Hill don't realize it because they've lived in it for so long. My friends who come down to visit me here from there always say the same thing, "Wow … this is great down here! Now I see why you moved!" We now have friends who have decided to leave the area recently, and my parents just bought a home down here and will be leaving Hernando County as well for the same reasons - they just want BETTER.
I agree.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:06 PM

8,488 posts, read 20,553,441 times
I didn't realize they moved Adventure island to Pinellas County.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:28 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,789,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
I didn't realize they moved Adventure island to Pinellas County.
Hillsborough.

Close enough.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:22 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,484,615 times
Quote:

Well said. It's all a matter of perspective. People who moved to SHE could have come groms worse place. Some people want to live cheap and go to work and come home and that is life.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:10 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,789,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Well said. It's all a matter of perspective. People who moved to SHE could have come groms worse place. Some people want to live cheap and go to work and come home and that is life.
Yep. Different strokes …

Old 03-30-2013, 08:13 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,484,615 times
*SH could have come from a

Old 03-31-2013, 07:58 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,775,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Ok., so same here, 2 places for bowling. Another down 19 as well. Elaborate? OK. Like to fish? There is lakes, rivers, springs and the Gulf. You can get a deep sea charter out of Hernando Beach for the big stuff. You can catch blue claw crabs for dinner, hike the forests, ATV riding, horseback riding, Golf, go up to the shooting range, bird watching, berry picking (seasonal), snorkeling, boating, canoeing, swimming, manatee watching, visiting antique shops, flea markets, a few good local pubs for food and entertainment, catch a play or other event at the Playhouse. Catch a movie, a couple of movie houses here, I know of more than one billiard hall as well. So, what do can you do where you are vs. where I am.
I've been here 5 months and have zero complaints. The concept that people who are happy in Spring Hill must have come from someplace worse is just ludicrous, as is the belief there is nothing to do here.

I actually came into this thread to post about the hilarity I witnessed the other day while watching a shoplifter get caught dead to rights at a store down in Holiday, but since this thread now appears to be about Spring Hill I don't see the point.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:11 AM

30,172 posts, read 20,894,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
I've been here 5 months and have zero complaints. The concept that people who are happy in Spring Hill must have come from someplace worse is just ludicrous, as is the belief there is nothing to do here.

I actually came into this thread to post about the hilarity I witnessed the other day while watching a shoplifter get caught dead to rights at a store down in Holiday, but since this thread now appears to be about Spring Hill I don't see the point.
You can't even compare Hoilday to SH. SH is a 100 times better than the drugged out area of west Pasco.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:36 PM

8,488 posts, read 20,553,441 times
Quote:
Hillsborough.

Close enough.
Great, so then everything within 50 minutes of Spring Hill would be something that Spring Hill could claim which gives anyone living there an ever wider array of options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay