Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2016, 09:17 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Are all the existing spots filled at your school? I saw all the 4-6 vacancies on the website, I think it might be worse this year than last.
I just counted twenty positions in grades 1-3 and forty in grades 4-6. Does does seem like a lot when no resumes are coming in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 01:10 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,292 times
I'm teaching in a college now. Wow, it's different. The hours suck (nights/weekends) but the students are hard working and grateful (ESL).

Old 09-05-2016, 10:53 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Tomorrow's the first day with students. I'm so not looking forward to the chaos that is the first 2 weeks back in my school. Schedule changes...class meetings...book check outs. Can we just skip ahead to the third week when things will have settled down?

Part of me is ready to go back. Part of me just wants to sleep in another day, lol. Ah well...only 195 work days until summer...

Old 09-05-2016, 12:01 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
I'm ready to go. We don't check books out to the students, so no worry there. The first few days are the most fun for me because we have all of the fun getting to know you activities.

Old 09-05-2016, 12:15 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Tomorrow's the first day with students. I'm so not looking forward to the chaos that is the first 2 weeks back in my school. Schedule changes...class meetings...book check outs. Can we just skip ahead to the third week when things will have settled down?

Part of me is ready to go back. Part of me just wants to sleep in another day, lol. Ah well...only 195 work days until summer...
I am no longer teaching, but dealing with a high school freshman this year is absolutely nuts.

1. There are no textbooks. It is all online. Assignments are also online. In the first week, we have had to deal with not having access because of technical problems and with not being able to access one set of assignments because the instructions for finding them were written in such small print that we could not read it. I had to email the teacher on that one to find out how my granddaughter could get into that site. Luckily these problems have now been solved.

2. Pulling from class to give an *orientation* that they already had in their student handbooks and had read. She missed her toughest class that day - English preAP and they assigned an excerpt from The Shipping News that I had trouble deciphering. I think they helped them with this the following day, but it was not a good assignment for 9th graders, imo. Of course, this is a 10th grade class because it is *pre-AP.*

3. BAND. Every student who is in band has to be in the marching band (250 kids). That means that she starts school at 7:15 am every day (the bus comes at 6:40 am) and does not get home until 6:30 pm on Tuesdays, 6:00 pm on Wednesdays and 7:00 pm on Thursdays (a couple of the football games are on Thursdays so then it is 11:30 pm) and 11:30 pm every Friday because of football games). On Mondays, she gets home around 3:00 pm because the regular dismissal is 2:15 pm and she takes the bus home. When are they supposed to sleep? And get their homework done? Luckily, she is smart enough to get her work done by around 10:30 pm or so. Some of her friends are up until midnight doing the work. The band director is a tyrant, but she wants to stay in band, so I guess we will put up with this.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:25 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I found out today I'm only going to be in 4th, so I'm going to meet with the teacher next week to make a plan.
We qualified for another teacher so I'll be changing soon to just one grade level. They'll have to redo most of the classes and schedules though.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:26 PM

331 posts, read 370,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I am no longer teaching, but dealing with a high school freshman this year is absolutely nuts.

1. There are no textbooks. It is all online. Assignments are also online. In the first week, we have had to deal with not having access because of technical problems and with not being able to access one set of assignments because the instructions for finding them were written in such small print that we could not read it. I had to email the teacher on that one to find out how my granddaughter could get into that site. Luckily these problems have now been solved.

2. Pulling from class to give an *orientation* that they already had in their student handbooks and had read. She missed her toughest class that day - English preAP and they assigned an excerpt from The Shipping News that I had trouble deciphering. I think they helped them with this the following day, but it was not a good assignment for 9th graders, imo. Of course, this is a 10th grade class because it is *pre-AP.*

3. BAND. Every student who is in band has to be in the marching band (250 kids). That means that she starts school at 7:15 am every day (the bus comes at 6:40 am) and does not get home until 6:30 pm on Tuesdays, 6:00 pm on Wednesdays and 7:00 pm on Thursdays (a couple of the football games are on Thursdays so then it is 11:30 pm) and 11:30 pm every Friday because of football games). On Mondays, she gets home around 3:00 pm because the regular dismissal is 2:15 pm and she takes the bus home. When are they supposed to sleep? And get their homework done? Luckily, she is smart enough to get her work done by around 10:30 pm or so. Some of her friends are up until midnight doing the work. The band director is a tyrant, but she wants to stay in band, so I guess we will put up with this.
Yikes, all online? I'd hate that! I teach high school math - I give lots of worksheets for homework. I kill lots of trees, but the kids learn, so I guess that's okay!?

Old 09-11-2016, 07:33 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrknowitall526 View Post
Yikes, all online? I'd hate that! I teach high school math - I give lots of worksheets for homework. I kill lots of trees, but the kids learn, so I guess that's okay!?
My last year (2014/15) it was decided that US and World History would have no textbooks except a class set. The thought was that we would give them a super secret password to access the book online from home (there was no thought about the kids, and there were more than one would expect, who had no internet access at home for a variety of reasons).

The kicker was that the system didn't pay the book publisher for the password so the kids didn't have access anyway.

As a note, I went on terminal leave the end of that October so only had to deal with it for a couple months.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:36 PM

331 posts, read 370,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
My last year (2014/15) it was decided that US and World History would have no textbooks except a class set. The thought was that we would give them a super secret password to access the book online from home (there was no thought about the kids, and there were more than one would expect, who had no internet access at home for a variety of reasons).

The kicker was that the system didn't pay the book publisher for the password so the kids didn't have access anyway.

As a note, I went on terminal leave the end of that October so only had to deal with it for a couple months.
Some of our books have online versions, but my Alg. 1 textbook is from 1996 so, no online stuff there.

At a previous school where I worked, we would just make a generic log in like "HSGeometryStudent1617" with a generic password and let them all use the same one.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:09 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
So far this year is going well. The kids are very cautious with a new principal at the helm. I haven't quite sized him up yet but it appears we're going to be micromanaged to some extent. Can't say that surprises me after the disaster of the last regime but it's annoying. It was never the worker bees who were the problem. It was the administration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching