Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2022, 08:14 AM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Yes. I felt this way about all of my colleagues until they turned on me and I found out that they had been slagging me off behind my back to admin. Colleagues that I considered friends turned out to be stabbing me in the back the entire time.

In fact, I left my job today of 5 years because of such people.

But I disagree about her being a "fantastic teacher." Although she might be great re: delivering content, the students will be aware of the kind of person that she is and will think it's okay to treat other people that way.

A teacher is always teaching.
Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. When I first started, teachers really tried to be helpful to the newbie. They shared their materials and gave great tips. After taking a break, I came back only to find the next generation of teachers to be a bunch of "mean" girls. I know it's not PC to say this, but women teachers are the worst. When getting tenure was not a guarantee and certifications had to be renewed every few years, teaching jobs became insecure. Here today, gone tomorrow. That's when teachers started to step over each other, trying to guard their secrets and outdo each other to gain favor with the administrators. That was when the cliques began. If you hitched your star to the wrong administrator who was going down, you would go down too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2022, 11:54 AM

5,008 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. When I first started, teachers really tried to be helpful to the newbie. They shared their materials and gave great tips. After taking a break, I came back only to find the next generation of teachers to be a bunch of "mean" girls. I know it's not PC to say this, but women teachers are the worst. When getting tenure was not a guarantee and certifications had to be renewed every few years, teaching jobs became insecure. Here today, gone tomorrow. That's when teachers started to step over each other, trying to guard their secrets and outdo each other to gain favor with the administrators. That was when the cliques began. If you hitched your star to the wrong administrator who was going down, you would go down too.
I completely agree about female teachers: they remind me of lionesses hunting on the plains of Africa--they travel in packs, on the prowl, with their noses constantly in the air as they seek out prey to assert their dominance.

The worst, though, are the admin. Unfortunately, there was a change in principals this year and the new principal is.... a woman! The former principal was a man and, while I had my issues with him, he was assertive and seemed to keep the lionesses in line. The new principal acts like a fawning newbie who is just waiting for the teachers to ask her to join their clique!

It's nauseating....

Old 11-18-2022, 12:46 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
I completely agree about female teachers: they remind me of lionesses hunting on the plains of Africa--they travel in packs, on the prowl, with their noses constantly in the air as they seek out prey to assert their dominance.

The worst, though, are the admin. Unfortunately, there was a change in principals this year and the new principal is.... a woman! The former principal was a man and, while I had my issues with him, he was assertive and seemed to keep the lionesses in line. The new principal acts like a fawning newbie who is just waiting for the teachers to ask her to join their clique!

It's nauseating....
I subbed at a elementary school and recognized this with a group of teachers after 3-4 days of subbing. This was a group of 4-6th grade teachers and they excluded a male teacher and an older female teacher from the group. It was like they were invisible to the younger female group.

Old 11-18-2022, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I subbed at a elementary school and recognized this with a group of teachers after 3-4 days of subbing. This was a group of 4-6th grade teachers and they excluded a male teacher and an older female teacher from the group. It was like they were invisible to the younger female group.
It’s funny you say this—the teachers with whom I most recently had a problem were a group of 4th grade teachers.

Old 11-18-2022, 03:18 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
It’s funny you say this—the teachers with whom I most recently had a problem were a group of 4th grade teachers.
My wife and a daughter are both RN's. Trust me, what you're experiencing can be just as prevalent in healthcare. It often takes a while for the junior high/sorority sister mentality to erode from some younger women. Love that drama.

Old 11-18-2022, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
My wife and a daughter are both RN's. Trust me, what you're experiencing can be just as prevalent in healthcare. It often takes a while for the junior high/sorority sister mentality to erode from some younger women. Love that drama.
Haha, these women [that I was dealing with] were in their 50’s!

Old 11-18-2022, 05:48 PM

Has any one successfully left a teaching career? If so, how did you leave and what field did you go into?

Old 11-18-2022, 07:42 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
I started out as a math/computer science intern at NASA's Johnson Space Center before going on to teach French and sometimes math for 36 years, the last 29 in the inner city. When the pandemic hit, I retired and started a full-stack coding program that lasted 11 months and is the equivalent of an AA in computer science.

After graduating in May, it took 4 months to get a part-time position at a local marketing agency doing content for the websites that we host. I'm enjoying being semi-retired, relying on my pension for my sustenance and on my paycheck for my wishlist. There are several other opportunities that are opening up now that I have more freedom with my schedule. I hope to start teaching beginning French to adults, as I really do miss teaching. I could also teach coding.

If I had more pressure to get a full-time job, I think I have the contacts to do that. It's a small town.

Old 11-19-2022, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
I started out as a math/computer science intern at NASA's Johnson Space Center before going on to teach French and sometimes math for 36 years, the last 29 in the inner city. When the pandemic hit, I retired and started a full-stack coding program that lasted 11 months and is the equivalent of an AA in computer science.

After graduating in May, it took 4 months to get a part-time position at a local marketing agency doing content for the websites that we host. I'm enjoying being semi-retired, relying on my pension for my sustenance and on my paycheck for my wishlist. There are several other opportunities that are opening up now that I have more freedom with my schedule. I hope to start teaching beginning French to adults, as I really do miss teaching. I could also teach coding.

If I had more pressure to get a full-time job, I think I have the contacts to do that. It's a small town.
I’ve applied numerous times to positions outside of education but don’t even get an interview. It’s very frustrating. I’ve been teaching for 15 years but only because it’s the only job I can ever get. I’ll never be a successful teacher because I don’t enjoy it and it doesn’t suit my personality at all.

I would love to get out of education.

Old 11-19-2022, 06:57 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
I’ve applied numerous times to positions outside of education but don’t even get an interview. It’s very frustrating. I’ve been teaching for 15 years but only because it’s the only job I can ever get. I’ll never be a successful teacher because I don’t enjoy it and it doesn’t suit my personality at all.

I would love to get out of education.
From an outside perspective, what do you want to do and what is your degree in? Those are the two most important question to ask yourself whether a high school kid planning what they want afterward or an adult changing careers. You need to either align you job search to those fields where your current degree applies or update your education to add the degree required by the field you seek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching