Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 07:56 PM

138 posts, read 750,938 times

Advertisements

"Where in East Texas do you live?"

Near Tyler.

Featherzz, at least in Eastern Tennessee you shouldn't have the earthquakes. A friend near Ukiah in northern CA says they had a fairly strong quake today.

I will be visiting the Smokies and in Morgan County TN on up to Pall Mall to visit the Alvin C. York Park in the second week of October. Any suggestions on what else I should see in the area. I have been to the Smokies before and Gatlinburg, but it was in the 70's. I have never been to Morgan County or that area before, although my dad was born there years ago and moved to Texas when still a child. Any info would be appreciated.

Last edited by mbmouse; 09-26-2006 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: merge

Old 08-29-2007, 03:32 AM

22 posts, read 88,175 times
Lorraine,
Best wishes to you in your quest for a new home. I love animals so much and that includes chickens and roosters. A friend of mine close to home had to give up her dear little rooster because of a new neighbor that moved there for the country feeling but now wants to change the rules because they don't want to wake up early.
It is just sad!
Denise

Old 08-29-2007, 01:31 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,660,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etexbill View Post
"Where in East Texas do you live?"

I will be visiting the Smokies and in Morgan County TN on up to Pall Mall to visit the Alvin C. York Park in the second week of October. Any suggestions on what else I should see in the area. I have been to the Smokies before and Gatlinburg, but it was in the 70's. I have never been to Morgan County or that area before, although my dad was born there years ago and moved to Texas when still a child. Any info would be appreciated.
Visit Rugby, TN. It's not far from Pall Mall.
Historic Rugby, Tennessee (http://www.historicrugby.org/index.html - broken link)
Interesting place with lots to see. A Utopia experiment that survived.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:21 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,659,449 times
If I might chime in with my view?

We left Northern CA after living there for more than 30 years...why did we leave? Because the population had grown so much that getting anywhere and parking and cost of living just became too heavy a burden. That's why. I kept saying if only the cars would disappear, this would be paradise on earth. But alas, the car population only grew and my search for quietude became primary.

And just to keep things in perspective should anyone condemn the entire state of California: California has more population than the nation of Canada!

So within the state, you'll find some extraordinary fine folks, along with others who are not your personal kindred souls...just like any other area, except perhaps more so, given the huge population and ethnic diversity of this melting pot of a state. CA is a nation unto itself.

Now having said that, what I miss most about CA is her extreme receptivity to creativity and the opportunity to develop something new--there's no better place to be an entrepreneur--people never asked me about "my people" or who I was related to--they only were interested in the merit of my ideas and the caliber of my character.

CA is the land of opportunity where empires are created in garages! CA is the Golden State--or so I found it to be. My little advertising boutique grew and flourished!

And the other thing I sorely miss is the breath-taking natural beauty of California--the preserved wildness of the coast (have you ever driven Route 1?), to the wine regions of Silverado and the Napa Valley, the ancient presence of the noble Redwoods and Sequoias, the beauty of the Sierra and Lake Tahoe, John Muir's Range of Light in the Yosemite, the solitude to be found in Death Valley, and the quirkiness of Venice and Tinseltown, the roller coaster streets of SF and the poetry haunting North Beach, the sugary confection of the del Coronado Inn, the bears and cougars of her wild North...CA is a very special place...I knew her in my youth and in middle age and miss her so in my Wisdom Years--miss her hugely.

On the other hand, we're living in a darling little coastal village on the East coast, pursuing my writing craft and have formed wonderful friendshhips here....

But I just cannot stand idly by while dear California gets bashed...the poor state has become a victim of its beauty and popularity. It's a dear, special place, truly. That's why so many people choose to live there...were I to write a best-selling book that created some financial abundance in my life, I would be sitting on a deck in No. or So. CA somewhere, looking at the distant ocean, watching a condor soar and ready for the showtime of the afternoon fog to roll in--no doubt opening a bottle of Napa Valley's finest and sampling the fresh Californiacuisine--some of the most innovative food anywhere...and I'd invite you to join me, we'd dream a little dream time together...

But I'd still keep our little East coast place,too, as it's dear to me and it's an easy place to live. Not a freeway in sight...and I don't want it to change a whit..it's perfect the way it's been for the past 300 years...

Old 06-18-2008, 06:51 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,391,808 times
I love CA, too. I treasure every minute that I spent there and am grateful to have had the experience. I'm especially grateful that I lived there before The Great Influx caused so many of the problems plaguing the state today. Too many people crowded too close together have drained CA and are now causing The Great Outflux, as people flee to TN, NC and other more affordable, less crowded Southern states.

People always talk about Tennesseans not welcoming Californians, but I honestly haven't seen any of that. Tennesseeans are fearful that all the people coming here will change the state for the worse, causing all the same problems here that became so unbearable there. And as a transplanted Californian, I can understand that. But hostility? That hasn't been my experience at all.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:15 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,488,743 times
Wow, this is an old thread. I work with some people from CA and they talk about how friendly and welcoming people in Knoxville have been to them. Personal experiences vary just like people do I suppose.

I have to wonder about how friendly and welcoming CA folks would be to Tennesseans.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:18 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,481,037 times
I just got from a week stay in LA and everyone was very laid back and friendly. I met alot of awesome people. Loved it!

Old 06-18-2008, 07:48 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,391,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
I have to wonder about how friendly and welcoming CA folks would be to Tennesseans.
They'd never even know where you're from! Almost everybody in CA is from somewhere else, and all that matters there is now. That's part of its charm-- living in the present.

And, yes, I didn't notice, but it is an ancient thread.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:56 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,488,743 times
It has been 5 years since I was in California but I was so wrapped up in my meeting and going to the Crystal Cathedral that I didn't notice anyone much outside of my group. My only glimpses now of California seem to be House Hunters and similar HGTV shows.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:40 PM

7,540 posts, read 17,228,595 times
It's been 4 since I was in Cali, but I loved most of what I was in, except Sacramento. North California is beautiful. I spent a week around the border with Oregon near the coast. I could definitely live there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee