Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 12:23 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,188,984 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: cut for liability issues
After doing some cursory research on google, I have only found one lawsuit in Ohio concerning zoning issues and a counter by county. I don't see all these numerous lawsuits you speak of so if you could cite more detailed information that would be great as it stands now and despite your claim of formerly working for Detweiler but not being disgruntled, it seems apparent that you are. My experience with these folks have been pretty good so far but if you have any evidence of you claims, I would be interested in hearing them as I am looking into some property on Wilder Mountain.

Thanks

Last edited by mbmouse; 10-22-2007 at 10:02 PM..

Old 08-01-2007, 01:58 PM

3 posts, read 9,332 times
I Am One Of The Elderly People Who Are To Dumb And Senile To Know If I'm Being Taken That Live On Wilder Mnt.. We Do Not Live In A Dump The Roads Are Gravel And We Were Told That By Our Salesman ,the 1st And 2nd Sales Managers That They Would Be Gravel Unless The County Took Over .if We Wanted To Live On Paved Roads With Wal-mart Next Door We Would Have Stayed In Fl.there Are Homes From $100,00.00 To 750,000. Already Builded On Wilder. Come See For Yourself What Is Up Here.there Have Been Problems Like Any New Place Just Starting Up. We All Have Good Wells And Sepit Tanks .but Being Elderly And Dumb I May Not Know Whats Good For Me.maybe We Need To Turn Wilder Into A Old Folks Home With Some Keepers At The Gate To Take Care Of Us

Old 08-02-2007, 07:17 PM

32 posts, read 113,370 times
Default Amen TnHilltopper

It is unfortunate that anyone who purchases property in Sequatchie Pointe or Wilder Mountain is called by some as morons, idiots, stupid, etc. I don't consider myself a moron (I guess some might disagree) and consider myself highly educated (two master's degrees and own my own business). I also did an extensive amount of research, found property that I fell in love with, and was perfect for me both in location and ambiance. While researching I went to the BBB as well as widespread internet research looking for lawsuits etc. As TnHilltopper stated if anything at all could be found it was very minor. If the developer was as bad as some state in this post (and the others) the BBB would be overloaded with complaints but there are very few and of those found all have been resolved. Unfortunately some liken our desire to move from Florida to Tennessee similar to the "idiots" (as they say) who moved from other states TO Florida years ago. The difference is many of those (not all, I don't put all people in one basket like some others do in this post) moved to Florida but still spoke of being "New York", "Chicago", etc. while those of us buying property in Sequatchie Pointe look forward to being Tennesseans or, better yet, Chattanoogans. I am happy with my purchase and that is that. Why can't others in this post simply say that they are happy for anyone who found property they are happy with? Maybe we paid what you consider too much but that is my decision - why such negativity and hatred? If you don't want to buy or live in Sequatchie Pointe that is your choice but why such dislike to the developer or those of us happy with our purchases and want to ultimately be a part of your community?

Old 08-02-2007, 08:03 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-FL View Post
It is unfortunate that anyone who purchases property in Sequatchie Pointe or Wilder Mountain is called by some as morons, idiots, stupid, etc. I don't consider myself a moron (I guess some might disagree) and consider myself highly educated (two master's degrees and own my own business). I also did an extensive amount of research, found property that I fell in love with, and was perfect for me both in location and ambiance. While researching I went to the BBB as well as widespread internet research looking for lawsuits etc. As TnHilltopper stated if anything at all could be found it was very minor. If the developer was as bad as some state in this post (and the others) the BBB would be overloaded with complaints but there are very few and of those found all have been resolved. Unfortunately some liken our desire to move from Florida to Tennessee similar to the "idiots" (as they say) who moved from other states TO Florida years ago. The difference is many of those (not all, I don't put all people in one basket like some others do in this post) moved to Florida but still spoke of being "New York", "Chicago", etc. while those of us buying property in Sequatchie Pointe look forward to being Tennesseans or, better yet, Chattanoogans. I am happy with my purchase and that is that. Why can't others in this post simply say that they are happy for anyone who found property they are happy with? Maybe we paid what you consider too much but that is my decision - why such negativity and hatred? If you don't want to buy or live in Sequatchie Pointe that is your choice but why such dislike to the developer or those of us happy with our purchases and want to ultimately be a part of your community?
You didn't buy land in a vacuum. Many people aren't happy that you're paying inflated prices for land in rural Tennessee because that's merely going to make surrounding land more expensive, too, and it will likely increase taxes. It happened in Florida, and people don't want to see that happen in Tennessee.

I also question your statement that people who buy in overpriced developments like Sequatchie Pointe simply want to be a part of our community. It reminds me of those who go on Caribbean cruises to private resorts in Haiti. Sure, they're in Haiti, but it's not really Haiti. Know what I mean? If you REALLY wanted to be part of Tennessee, why buy into a luxury development which advertises exclusively to Floridians? It's as if you're saying you want to enjoy the beauty of Tennessee but without being around all those pesky Tennesseans.

Last edited by JMT; 08-02-2007 at 08:57 PM..

Old 08-02-2007, 08:20 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,188,984 times
JMT,

Developers take a risk when purchasing land that is relatively cheap, then develop it and hope it sells at such a rate to make a profit. They are a business like any other business and if in the process of doing so increases the value of the surrounding land, this is not always a bad thing. Granted it raises the cost of the land and the taxes but with paying more for land, those people who bought land when it was cheap make a great deal more profit when the value goes up. The land in much of Tennessee has been undervalued when compared to other areas of the south, although a stabilization in housing and land markets seems to be in hand as in many places home and land values are leveling or even dropping.

There is certainly a lag between the time in which land values increase and things like added jobs and services arise from the increased population but that is to be expected. You stated that Rick didn't buy land in a vacuum, and that is correct as Tennessee is just recently experiencing what much of the rest of the south has been for some time. Some people I am sure wish that Tennessee was in a vacuum and land prices never went up, but that isn't going to happen. Progress will come and land prices will go up, but it is my hope that Tennessee will take places like Florida and Texas to heart when they look at what happens with unadulterated growth takes place. I hope our state manages growth with more wisdom.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:29 AM

849 posts, read 2,954,348 times
Nice discussion, back and forth on this issue. In today's Chatt News...

Growth plan is talk of Sequatchie - Chattanooga Times Free Press - Breaking News in Chattanooga, TN. Classifieds and Top Stories (http://www.timesfreepress.com/absolutenm/templates/local.aspx?articleid=19108&zoneid=77 - broken link)

Now Sequatchie Pointe is being built in Marion County, and not Sequatchie County. I've had several conversations with Diana Chance in Planning for Marion County, and can only say that my impressions are overwhelmingly positive. I'd say it is in the community's best interest to have a Building/Planning commision to protect the interests of all residents, to ensure that growth stays in harmony with the beauty of an area.

To stick one's head in the sand is a sure way to have the rural areas developed in a way that none of us would want to see.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:19 AM

9 posts, read 31,505 times
the information is out there just do some research

Old 08-07-2007, 02:41 PM

20 posts, read 92,138 times
Default Wilder Mountain

I did ample research/digging on the WM development. The results revealed more red flags than a used car lot. I hope everything works out well for people who purchased from this developer. I work hard for my $ and it was not worth the risk to me.

Ref. SP-just make sure everything your promised is written in your sales contract. They wold not included the clubhouse/horse center, or that my lot would perk/qualify for a three bedroom residence in my contract. Just to many problems for my taste

Ironwood

Old 08-09-2007, 11:55 AM

6 posts, read 31,138 times
You are right!!!We have a pending lawsuit with J.J Detweiler now..
Please advise if you know anything else that you might like to share.
Moderator cut: sorry, can't name names

Last edited by mbmouse; 08-09-2007 at 06:49 PM..

Old 08-12-2007, 09:13 AM

2 posts, read 7,337 times
Unhappy sequatchie pointe

my husband and i went to sequatchie pointe and signed a contract(like idiots) and got back to our room at the hotel and said what did we just do. we immediately called our credit company and canceled the whole transaction. the pressure to sign is unbelievable and they make you feel that if dont contract your fools.the land is beautiful but the surrounding little towns are back from the 50's. rebel flags are everywhere!!! we do not want to part of their prejudice and red neck ways. also they commit fraud when setting up your financing, they inflate the price to show a bigger down payment. buyer beware when purchasing this land. your better off going to a private seller and purchasing unless he has a rebel hanging off the front of his doublewide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee