Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 08:53 PM

82 posts, read 416,454 times

Advertisements

Lisa - once again I would like to thank you for posting your adventure as well as the accompanying pictures!

Please don't let any "armchair quarterbacks" prevent you from sharing the bad as well as the good. Some of the rest of us may learn from your mistakes and be prevented from having a moment!

This has been so much fun for me to read and I'm truly enjoying everything that you are sharing!

I LOVE the pictures of the new calf. Would have loved to have been there for the birth!

Blessings to you and Mike!

Old 03-24-2009, 08:05 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,548,854 times
Now we are where we need to be. The tire is hooked up. All we have to do is use the tractor to pull the chain and the tire through the culvert. If we do this a few time we should be able to clear the culvert. Unfortunately the tractor doesn't have enough power. Now we have the tire stuck inside the culvert along with a 30 foot chain.

Sometimes you just have to admit defeat and call someone for help. We will have to have Jimmy come with his backhoe and see if he can get the tire through. If not we will have to dig up the whole culvert. Mike and I really tried to get this job done and it just really stinks that we couldn't finish it.

Lets just hope it doesn't rain before we can clear the culvert

When I suggested the tire I wasn't thinking about the tractor size. Also try chains instead of rope.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:04 PM

283 posts, read 900,533 times
Well, I think y'all get a gold star for effort on this one! Too bad it didn't work, cuz it sure sounded like the right idea.

We all do things that we can look back at and think duh,... one time we had a small broken-down garage around the back of the house we owned, and wanted to get rid of it. Tied a rope to a corner, thinking we could just pull and it would come crashing down into rubble. NOT! We ended up pulling it around the yard, then tipping it over and ruining the fence, and the building finally had to be disassembled with a chain saw.

I think someone famous (can't recall his name- American guy, invented a ton of stuff, deaf in one ear) once said that he looked at each of the thousand things he did that failed as a step in the right direction to the one thing that succeeded - eliminated one more thing that didn't work. Oh, wait - I think it was Thomas Edison?

Old 03-24-2009, 06:17 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,400,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
When I suggested the tire I wasn't thinking about the tractor size. Also try chains instead of rope.
No problem. It was a good idea. We just let the culvert get too full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassykat&joe View Post
Well, I think y'all get a gold star for effort on this one! Too bad it didn't work, cuz it sure sounded like the right idea.

Thanks.

We all do things that we can look back at and think duh,... one time we had a small broken-down garage around the back of the house we owned, and wanted to get rid of it. Tied a rope to a corner, thinking we could just pull and it would come crashing down into rubble. NOT! We ended up pulling it around the yard, then tipping it over and ruining the fence, and the building finally had to be disassembled with a chain saw.
I love that story. Thanks for the chuckle. Maybe we should start a thread about some of our mishaps. Mike and I had a similar story at our old farm. We needed to move a shed from one part of the property to the other. We chained it to the truck and tried to pull. No luck. So we decided I would pull it with the chain and the truck and Mike would get behind the shed and push with our other truck. We did ok going down the drive. Then we had to push it "up" another small drive to get it where we wanted it. Well it was a little harder getting it up the hill. So we revved up the trucks. Well we got it to the top and I stopped. Mike didn't and he went through the wall of the shed, lol. We fixed it but boy do we have stories, lol.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:48 PM

182 posts, read 780,329 times
I hate hearing anyone criticising yu . .. (sp?_)
you both have worked hard and long . Just the work it takes to write all this down , for us , and take pix .and post them . . Is a job in itself. .
So dont' even listen to anyone that denigrates how you did something ..
We all make m istakes. . You are one of those rare human beings that fess up to them .and laugh about them . .and inevitably,,, learn from them ..
Ok .. 2 cents said .. )
have agreat week .. Jeanne

Old 03-25-2009, 03:52 AM

849 posts, read 2,955,826 times
Lisa - What your last thread about the tire does is let everyone know whether or not things work. In this case the tire clearing the culvert did not work for several reasons - too small a tractor, too full a culvert, etc. We also got to see the trial and error of getting the rebar through the mud. You have probably saved someone else doing the same thing a lot of headaches and time.

I'll bet, once you get that culvert cleared, the tire thing will work in the future...that and figuring the best way to prevent a heap of mud from entering it. Everything is not going to work out perfectly, and it is good to see when things don't work out, and what to try and avoid through your trial and error.

Great thread on your behalf!

Old 03-25-2009, 10:07 AM

668 posts, read 2,187,543 times
Lisa, if mike has a "come-a-Long, and a good tree, (he can wrap a chain around the tree and start cranking that puppy, and that tire is sure to come through that culvert...It may take awhile...and you will have to relieve him in shifts, but, with enough cranks that puppy will MOVE!

Oh, by the way...I just put my seeds in some empty flats...Tomatos...three flats full of different varieties...I sure hope that those seeds I bought from big lot takes hold...(didnt look too sharp to me, butthe Wife says they are fine...She is my expert at everything!)...Now I will put them in the basement for the next 14 days, then bring them back up to sunlight. I am suprised your not setting seeds already lisa...you with those big windows, Mike could build you some "step planters" and you can lay them puppies all out...get an early start on your garden!

May the LORD Bless each of you...

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 03-25-2009, 04:48 PM

19 posts, read 75,385 times
Younglisa7- This may be redundant but I posted yesterday I believe, but I'm not real sure how this whole forum works. If you've already received this just disregard. I spoke of a a custom window that I have over my vanity in my private bath that is 5'x1' it is a crank out (screen included) I was thinking that you have an area that could use light and ventilation up high over your fireplace- you could get any size window and it would let constant light in without any need for a privacy cover, like your doors have.
I think that would help fill that front wall in.

Just a thought.....CL0

Old 03-25-2009, 08:53 PM

9 posts, read 52,525 times
Still lurking & keeping up with your story . The person who never made a mistake , never did anything . Be careful around those mama cows & their new calves . A friend of ours got ten staples in her head & a badly dislocated shoulder about a week ago after getting to close to a mama cow & her new calf .

Old 03-25-2009, 09:02 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,548,854 times
Here's a good one to check out later on before it turns cold next fall. A greenhouse made out of old aluminum storm doors. Got this from my Mother Earth News newsletter I get.

How to Build a Greenhouse from Used Windows or Storm Doors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee