Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2009, 01:57 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,702,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Sorry about all of the rain comments but it has been a really rough summer. Lisa
Tennessee must be well above the average amount of rain you normally receive by this time each year. It seems that your drought must definitely be over.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:22 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,403,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguillot View Post
Tennessee must be well above the average amount of rain you normally receive by this time each year. It seems that your drought must definitely be over.
The drought is way way over, at least for this year, lol. It's both a good and bad thing.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:44 PM

137 posts, read 520,794 times
Can't wait for the next installment!

Old 09-26-2009, 06:39 PM

730 posts, read 1,918,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post

HL- Yeah Niki's favorite job is supervising and sleeping, lol.
Isn't that what all supervisors do? :^)

Old 09-26-2009, 06:55 PM

730 posts, read 1,918,644 times
Hi,

Now that we are fellow "Tennesseans", my wife and I will have to take a drive out to your neck of the woods one day. Note; NOT until we get well into next spring I believe. We now live in Seymour so it will be one of those outings away from home to explore a bit. Do you object to company?

Old 09-27-2009, 12:37 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,627,821 times
I'd like to nominate this thread for the CD thread of the Year. It sure is the most interesting one going.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:56 AM

Default Chapter 73 Week of 8-8-09

Good morning everyone. I am sorry I am late. Yesterday I had a killer headache and this morning Mike and I had an early appointment. So here I am. I hope you all had a wonderful week. It has been very soggy here. We had 2 nicer days this week. Woo hoo.

8-8
Now that we know the paving crew is going to start, Mike and I have to put up a temporary fence to keep the cows off the fresh pavement. We are only doing a partial paving job this year. We will have the side walkway of the house, the back parking area, and the steepest part of the driveway paved which is about 650 feet. Next year we will finish the rest of the driveway. We will also have curbing done to keep the water flowing down the pavement and not wash out any more dirt.

First thing today Mike and I have to go to David's to pick up more T-posts and electric fence string. We thought about doing barbed wire but that would cost much more and it would take much longer to install considering this fencing will only be up a couple of weeks.

After we get home we start banging in the t-posts going down one side of the driveway and back up the other side. We put the t-posts in about every 25 feet.

Mike putting in T-posts.

We were short 2 t-posts thankfully we had a couple of extra in the building. Here are the t-posts waiting for the string.

Next Mike and I start running out the wire. Mike had one spool and I had another. Mike went down one side of the driveway and I went down the other side. We will be putting 3 strands of wire on the t-posts. We wrapped the string around each t-post on the way down and then started a second strand going back up to the top.

Temporary fence with 2 strands of wire.

And

8-9
It looks like a beautiful day but it is supposed to get very hot. Mike wants to do some work on the ditch but I think it will be way too hot for that. We still have to finish the temporary fence so we work on that together.

We start at the top together and work our way down. About 200 feet down we see that the cows already broke through the fence. Uh oh. They are such troubles, lol. It looks like they got inside the fence from the bottom and didn't know how to get out so they broke through a side. Once we put the third strand up and close off the opening they should stay out. I hope so, at least long enough for the pavement to harden enough before the cows walk on it.

Our temp fence is now up and hopefully it will keep the troubles out, lol. We ran about 2000 feet of wire.

Next project. We start getting the gutters ready to go back up on the house. We are going to paint them first so they don't stand out like a sore thumb.

Mike takes the gutters apart so they can be lightly scuffed(sanded) to hold the paint.

Then Mike and I fine sand them for the paint to adhere better.

Mike sanding the gutters.

Ah and my favorite part, lol. I get to paint them.

They took 3 coats of paint. While I was painting the gutters Mike did some odd ball jobs. He cut any weeds along the driveway that might get in the way of the paving.

Mike cutting a monster weed. I wish the plants would grow that fast.

I think we are ready for the paving to begin. Hopefully the cows will stay away.

Tomorrow is the big day which I will have to write in next week's story. I hope you enjoyed this update and I will write again next Monday. Have a great week.

Lisa

Old 09-28-2009, 08:05 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,955,610 times
Loving these pics, Lisa! We are getting to see a lot of different vantage points with some incredible views. You mentioned earlier that you & Mike
got another motor home since selling the last one. Will that make it up the unpaved portion of the drive?
In the winter I mean. I know...winter...the "other four letter word"...

Old 09-28-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I'd like to nominate this thread for the CD thread of the Year. It sure is the most interesting one going.
Thank you so much for saying that. You are so sweet.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:34 AM

935 posts, read 1,650,295 times
Be aware of the 'river' that will be flowing down your drive after paving and curbs. Where it ends is where the wash-out starts. A proper crown on your drive, whether paved or not, will utilize those ditches you've been cleaning and working (so hard on). Curbing requires proper drainage planning too, also kinda restricts the working width of your drive.

oops, forgot you were holding back on us and we're almost two months behind, probably too late for further consideration ...

Last edited by burr; 09-28-2009 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: last line
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee