Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2008, 05:06 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times

Advertisements

Tinman

We already have our panels but I'm always interested if it's something better.

We had 1 small leak the other day from 1 of the screws on the roof. It wasn't tight enough-must have been one of mine. Mike fixed it.

Lisa

Old 07-15-2008, 05:15 AM

Tinman

I got the link:

Nanosolar - Products (http://www.nanosolar.com/products.htm - broken link)

But they are sold out for the next 12 months. We can't wait that long- we need it in the next 2 weeks. Thanks for the info.

Lisa

Old 07-15-2008, 08:22 AM

24,768 posts, read 28,526,608 times
No problem..... Have a great day and work safe,and what out for the cows.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:01 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,804,856 times
Plans for an Integral Passive Solar Water Heater:

The Integral Passive Solar Water Heater Book

Old 07-15-2008, 11:34 AM

Just found this interesting information...... Solar Electric Systems, Solar Panels, Wind Generators

For what ever reason one of the links just does not work, another link http://www.eco-web.com/register/05538.html (broken link)

Old 07-15-2008, 12:54 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
I just found this thread and am loving it! We've been thinking of building our next home off grid, though we're not nearly as motivated as you are. We were thinking of big solar panels.

Anyway, your view is beyond breathtaking. We're enjoying watching your progress. I think I might be *almost* as eager for you to move in as you two are!!

Old 07-15-2008, 07:09 PM

30 posts, read 211,864 times
Default All I can say is wow!!

Lisa, I just found this thread and I am amazed. Thank you SO MUCH for posting your work in progress. The pictures are wonderful, too - you guys are doing such a wonderful job.

And can I also mention how in awe I am of your homesite? Wow. I am from Oregon, we have beautiful views here, and I have one as well, but that one is just unbelievable. You guys sure lucked out when you found it. Talk about your own little mountain retreat!

I can't wait for your next postings. What an awesome adventure!! I can see there are lots of people rooting you on. And cows...yep, they can be a pain sometimes - they are so strong!! But so inquisitive, and they love to watch and see what is going on. We used to have some on our property, and if I was out with the 4-wheeler, they would always come running and start rummaging around in the basket on the front where we keep tools and fence-fixing stuff, and such. And if I was using it to pick fruit or berries, I had to keep the buckets underneath the trailer, as they would try hard to figure out any way to get into them and eat what I had picked!!!

Anyway, good luck to you both, and thanks again for posting all your hard work. I can't wait for the next installment!

Old 07-17-2008, 07:25 PM

Hi everyone. It's time for chapter 8. Week of July 14.

It has been a crazy week for us. On Monday we went to the local farm supply and got more T-posts, wood posts, a gate, and barbed wire. We got to the property and we started installing the wood posts for the gate. Then we installed the gate at the top of our driveway.

Then we started installing the posts and T-posts around the back of the property. After that we started putting up the barbed wire. While we were stringing the barbed wire the "bull" came down and laid down about 10 feet from us just watching. I was really hoping he wasn't getting ticked off because we were about to fence him out. I kept an eye on him most of the time. I figured if he moved really fast I could get on the other side of the barbed wire. It's always a good idea to have an escape plan, don't you think? Anyway, it wasn't neccesary because he was really mellow. We got all the fencing done in the "backyard". We installed 6 wood poles and ran 750 feet of barbed wire.
Our new fencing.

Tuesday
We are almost ready to bring the motorhome over. We just have to finish fencing the top of our property, trim trees, and grade out the site for the motorhome. Today we had the fencing system down pat. We only had to dig 2 wood posts and 10 T-posts. Then we ran 3 strands of barbed wire for a total of 975 feet. Finally our homesite is protected from the cows and we can move over there.

View from the left side of the house

View from the center of the house

And the view looking right of the house

Wednesday
Today is the big day. It's moving day. We have no idea if we can make it in or if we can even make it up our hill. I'm really nervous. First we went over to the property to trim some trees on our right-of-way and also grade a level spot for the motorhome. Thenwe went back to our other property and finished getting the motorhome ready.

Now it's time. We have to get our 40 foot motorhome, that's like a big(really big) box, into the new place. Mike starts driving the motorhome and I am following in the jeep with our dog, Niki. We have to stop and get propane first. I leave first and I am the first one at the property and I am sick to my stomach. I can't imagine how Mike feels. All goes well until the turn for our right-of-way and Mike can't make it in. The entrance looks way too narrow. He tries again-no good. And again. Ok now I'm really going to be sick. Finally he makes it in on the 4th try. Just think of it as the "Hotel California" you can check in but you can never check out. Now we get through the gate and I go to the top of "our hill" and open that gate. I wait for Mike and I see him coming and it's not looking good. The tires start spinning and he has to back down the hill to start again.

He gets a running start and goes for it.
He's making it

Almost there

And he is at the top. That was way too stressful but now we are in. We get everything set up and now we can relax. We are so excited to finally be living on the property. Now we can work anytime we want. Mike went down to the house and started working on the brackets for our solar panels. He has to get them installed soon because we are running on generators and an invertor. I did more raking and seeding in the backyard. Now that we can water it we should have grass next month.

It was our first night here and it was so peaceful and quiet. We got to see a deer really close to the house- I can't wait to put deer block out for them.
We also got to sleep with all the windows open because no one is around and it is great.

This is what our place looks like now.

I have to finish up now because we are running my satellite off the invertor and I might lose it. I hope you enjoy and I'll write on Sunday.

Lisa

Old 07-17-2008, 07:42 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,350,104 times
Lisa,
What an adventure you and Mike are living! Loved the pictures and thanks for the update.
Pam

Old 07-17-2008, 08:07 PM

While we were stringing the barbed wire the "bull" came down and laid down about 10 feet from us just watching. Other words he was "Bull Dozing"
Could not let that one get by..... Still a beautiful view and thanks for sharing your adventure.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee