Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2007, 10:17 PM

246 posts, read 1,073,516 times

Advertisements

LOL! We're looking through some of the different state forums as we're trying to figure out where we want the FAA to send us and I just can't get over the hilarious analogies I'm finding on this one. Sounds like the people in TN are very friendly and have a great sense of humor....

Old 11-09-2007, 10:25 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,136,321 times
Smile Welcome to the TN forum, jiffin4java!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffin4java View Post
LOL! We're looking through some of the different state forums as we're trying to figure out where we want the FAA to send us and I just can't get over the hilarious analogies I'm finding on this one. Sounds like the people in TN are very friendly and have a great sense of humor....
Jiffin, we don't open the door in Tennessee unless you are friendly and have a great sense of humor!!

The folks on the TN forum are more than friendly and fun to be with. They are the most helpful people you will ever meet. But, they are quite honest and forth coming with their opinions and comments. Just what you need to hear if you plan on making a new state your home.

If the FAA sends you all to TN you will have a wonderful time, not be bored for a second, and go back home happy.

I guarantee it and I don't even live here YET!

Old 11-11-2007, 11:53 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
Jiffin, we don't open the door in Tennessee unless you are friendly and have a great sense of humor!!

The folks on the TN forum are more than friendly and fun to be with. They are the most helpful people you will ever meet. But, they are quite honest and forth coming with their opinions and comments. Just what you need to hear if you plan on making a new state your home.

If the FAA sends you all to TN you will have a wonderful time, not be bored for a second, and go back home happy.

I guarantee it and I don't even live here YET!

I second that!!!!!

Old 11-12-2007, 07:24 AM

710 posts, read 1,961,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sa View Post
I realize that it's been some time since you first posted this thread... but I just wanted to let you know that I've found that it takes a good TWO years to completely acclimate yourself to a new area after a move, i.e, finding your way around, what's available and not, housing, doctors, dentists, schools, shopping, dining, etc.

I've made numerous moves all over the U.S. and this seems to be the timeline any/everywhere to become completely comfortable in a new surrounding and begin to really feel that it is "home" and to feel a real part of the community.
I think this is probably very accurate. We've been here (Cookeville, obviously not East TN) for two years and it's really feeling like home now. It wasn't so much finding our way around but just the newness of things. Once you go through all the seasons and holidays a few times, you have a point of reference for what it's like where you are that makes things seem more familiar and comfortable. That goes for your state, your town, your neighborhood and your home.

One thing that always freaks me out when I have moved to new places is the local news. I don't even really watch local news very much, but living in Florida you kind of have to on and off during hurricane season. I grew very accustomed to the news anchors and weather people in Central Florida. Moving to a place with "strangers" instead of my old familiar news people really kind of threw me for a loop. I know, that's pretty weird. Another thing that sort of floored me about this news market in particular (Nashville) was country music stars' relative dominance in overall news stories. That took me by surprise, although I understand why it's like that here. I was just not used to seeing the lead story being something about some country music star's upcoming divorce, or court date, etc!

On the other hand, it's better than the violent stories that generally tended to lead the Central Florida newscasts more often than not!

Old 11-12-2007, 12:18 PM

77 posts, read 273,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordy View Post
I think this is probably very accurate. We've been here (Cookeville, obviously not East TN) for two years and it's really feeling like home now. It wasn't so much finding our way around but just the newness of things. Once you go through all the seasons and holidays a few times, you have a point of reference for what it's like where you are that makes things seem more familiar and comfortable. That goes for your state, your town, your neighborhood and your home.

One thing that always freaks me out when I have moved to new places is the local news. I don't even really watch local news very much, but living in Florida you kind of have to on and off during hurricane season. I grew very accustomed to the news anchors and weather people in Central Florida. Moving to a place with "strangers" instead of my old familiar news people really kind of threw me for a loop. I know, that's pretty weird. Another thing that sort of floored me about this news market in particular (Nashville) was country music stars' relative dominance in overall news stories. That took me by surprise, although I understand why it's like that here. I was just not used to seeing the lead story being something about some country music star's upcoming divorce, or court date, etc!

On the other hand, it's better than the violent stories that generally tended to lead the Central Florida newscasts more often than not!
Wordy
I can understand that - local news. My husband was a videographer for channel 5 out of W. Palm and I can't imagine the lead story being about the personal life of a country singer but I guess thats local news. We pretty much just watch network news now anyway. And two years does sound about right when I think back on my own moves.
Jengal

Old 11-13-2007, 05:36 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I like Kroger's, too. Also Fresh Market.

I like that Food City because it carries the seafood I like. I can get cod! I'm from New England!

They also have lots of LOCAL produce! It's also on the way home!

I think I like Food City better than Kroger, too. Food City has more ethnic food. The only thing is Food City doesn't carry the kind of water I prefer which is something I buy frequently (too heavy to buy in bulk) so I wind up going to Kroger in addition to Food City. Kroger also has more fruit choices. I haven't compared the prices.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:26 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordy View Post

That's so funny that you mentioned the local news. One of the things I have to do when I go back to Cookeville is watch the evening news on Channel 4. Even though I really don't care about the lives of country music stars, for some reason it's comforting to me to see that on the evening news, kind of like a big warm hug from the past. Channel 4 still has some of the same anchors as it did 20 years ago (Dan, Demetria, Cynthia, Larry the old codger, and of course Rudy and his outrageous sweaters) so when I see them still on the air and still talking about country music stars, I know that things are still all right in the world. Isn't that silly of me?

Old 11-15-2007, 06:57 PM

62 posts, read 213,335 times
Well I am also from Florida at the moment, will be moving to East Tennessee once our home sells. Our milk which I buy at the local Wal-Mart along with everyone else is about $4.85 a gallon & I have 5 children so you can imagine how many we go through in a week!!
As with any move you must investigate the area for the things that you are looking for before you move such as rental/housing, local stores, communities, & employment. I have been doing this since we put our home on the market a few weeks ago and we decided to make the move to Tennessee. Try asking some of the locals, churches, neighbors and so forth to find what you're looking for however; not all states carry the same stores as in Meijer's, I myself have never heard of em though they sound familiar with Kohl's or Sams/Bj's. Good luck to you...

Old 11-17-2007, 09:51 AM

65 posts, read 220,542 times
arm chair dreaming and being here has proven to diprove many preconcieved notions that i had misconstrued during my last four years of vacationing while researchig.
i noticed that when i got home i would let my mind go long and mixed memorey with assumption .
its been a fun and very stressful move from what was rural but is now suburban Odessa Fl to here on Walden's Ridge in Eastern Tennessee .
if you want a true pcture of the area you want to move to order a subscription to the weekly county paper ours is $20 a year mailed or $25 yearly out of town most local crime does not get in the big city papers .
or even stop in at the local telephone company and get a phone book most things are not online.
Alot of towns have just gotten DSL and there is very little online .So little that you can goggle certain key words and my rambling posts from ciy-data forums from a year ago come up as just about the only information available .
PEOPLE ASK ME WHEN I FIRST MOVED HERE IS HOW DID YOU FIND US AND WHY?

Last edited by Halfback; 11-17-2007 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: knocked of line dial ups all we have on the mountain dsl is in the city house

Old 11-17-2007, 09:58 PM

4 posts, read 9,781 times
I recently moved to Greeneville from Seattle. I thought Washington was expensive, but this place is the most expensive place I've ever lived. The sales tax here is almost TEN PERCENT!!! And it is charged on EVERYTHING, including groceries!! I do most of my shopping in Asheville or Georgia because the taxes are so much lower. Property taxes are much more reasonable here, however. Propane costs about 40% more than most other places, and they charge an "environmental" fee of $6 every time you get a fill up. Tennessee says they don't have an income tax, but, in fact, they do. If your income is derived from interest and/or dividends, they hit you with a 6% income tax -- combine that with an almost 10% sales tax and it gets expensive quickly.

On the plus side, the mountain scenery here is beautiful and the food is wonderful and the people are great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee