Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2007, 11:08 AM

48 posts, read 125,741 times

Advertisements

Hi all- I've been wanting to relocate to TN, preferably KNoxville area, due to the climate, as I love cycling. But my concern is getting my foot in the door as far as jobs go. I've read a lot of posts here about how hard it is as an out of stater to even get an interview in TN. Are there any suggestions on how to overcome this, and why is ther esuch an anti-out of state sentiment in TN. Ive visted several times and found the folks there to be warm freindly and personable, but the job market seems to be the opposite. I've asked for help on the Knoxville foruim and have yet to get a single response I'm scared I'l be stuck in WI forever. I'm a mid level professional with experience in purchasing, banking and inventroy control, and I have applied for jobs in TN almost daily with not even a single reply. How can I overcome all this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 11:22 AM

788 posts, read 4,068,440 times
I don't live there and never have, so I can't give you any inside info., but I was thinking that maybe you can try the following:

1.) Try using a "headhunter"

2.) Get a PO BOX there (or if you know someone who lives there, ask if you can use their address) then use that address on your resume/applications

I have read some similar posts in the Texas forum, and other posters have said they did the above and were able to get jobs there from out of state. Maybe that will help you?

Best of luck.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:50 AM

26 posts, read 76,943 times
Its not that TN is anti outsiders. So many companies have closed down and moved to Mexico and other places that jobs are scarce around here without a degree in a growing profession. I have found that most employeers would rather see you in person or talk to you to "figure you out" rather than pull a resume off a site. But they put help wanted ads up to look big time. A lot of them in a professional atmosphere put those ads up for EOE but really already have some one in mind.

Old 04-15-2007, 12:34 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
A lot of the jobs get scooped up by the locals. This is a college town, so there is a lot of competition. I haven't offered advice because I just don't have it. Even using a local address may not help you.

I've written many times about my experiences. It's tough, I'll give you that.

I will mention that my husband has been at his new job for six months, and other shops are actively trying to woo him away. But at one time, he had many doors slammed in his face. And he had the luxury of actually walking into these places.

The corporate world is a lot tougher. You can't even get near those places. Your only alternative is to apply over the internet and hope for the best. I tried one employment agency back when I was looking for a job, and it was an absolute nightmare. Could have just been that company.

I will tell you this, also. There are lots of locals looking for jobs and not having much luck, either. I don't think it's you or your location.

Last edited by hiknapster; 04-15-2007 at 12:48 PM..

Old 04-15-2007, 12:38 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Lightbulb yes-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turpentine View Post
Hi all- I've been wanting to relocate to TN, preferably KNoxville area, due to the climate, as I love cycling. But my concern is getting my foot in the door as far as jobs go. I've read a lot of posts here about how hard it is as an out of stater to even get an interview in TN. Are there any suggestions on how to overcome this, and why is ther esuch an anti-out of state sentiment in TN. Ive visted several times and found the folks there to be warm freindly and personable, but the job market seems to be the opposite. I've asked for help on the Knoxville foruim and have yet to get a single response I'm scared I'l be stuck in WI forever. I'm a mid level professional with experience in purchasing, banking and inventroy control, and I have applied for jobs in TN almost daily with not even a single reply. How can I overcome all this?
It will not be easy. I work at the University here. It took over a year to find something relevant (I have a B.S. and also Masters degree)

It will take time but the other poster is correct in that a PO Box will help. It is not that people are opposed to out of state- there are just so many competing for Knoxville mid/upper level jobs. UT also has too many graduates for the area.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 04-15-2007 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: add

Old 04-15-2007, 07:41 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Having talked to many local employers in the Tri-Cities area. They have found that after spending time setting up interviews and such with an out of state applicant, they do not accept the jobs because the pay rates are different than several other states. They also say a lot of people put salary expectations on their on line resumes that the employer can not match and move on. So maybe if you put on your resume that you understand you will not be looking for the same pay as your previous job..... Just a thought.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:20 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Having talked to many local employers in the Tri-Cities area. They have found that after spending time setting up interviews and such with an out of state applicant, they do not accept the jobs because the pay rates are different than several other states. They also say a lot of people put salary expectations on their on line resumes that the employer can not match and move on. So maybe if you put on your resume that you understand you will not be looking for the same pay as your previous job..... Just a thought.
With no knowledge of what it happening, I would think this is a very good reason for employing locals.

If I was going to invest my resources into training someone for a particular job, given 2 candidates with approximately equal experience and/or similar education, I'd hire the local. I think there's a better chance of the local sticking around (and me getting the bang for the buck) and not taking off for a higher paying job elsewhere because of their roots in the community.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:32 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,257 times
Hi all- I've been wanting to relocate to TN, preferably KNoxville area, due to the climate, as I love cycling. But my concern is getting my foot in the door as far as jobs go. I've read a lot of posts here about how hard it is as an out of stater to even get an interview in TN. Are there any suggestions on how to overcome this, and why is ther esuch an anti-out of state sentiment in TN.

I think before you go through all the hassle, you need to back up the train for a minute and actually research what the weather is like since this is your primarily motive behind moving. I hear a lot of people from other places who assume that since we're in the south, then it must be warm-year round. As a matter of fact, it actually gets cold here. Sometimes below zero. We have an average of 4-5 months of cold weather.That and lots of rain. So in reality, the time that you will have per year to bike comfortably might not be that much more than in WI. The usually outcome is that people here put away the bikes in the winter and bike in the spring and summer. So before you go through all that trouble, you might want to make sure that the move is actually going to change things for you that much. I also agree with the rest of the people here: you need to move here first before you start looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee