Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 09:16 PM

8,680 posts, read 3,876,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Compared to the 9 million sales that Toyota has? You’ve made my point for me.
What point is that? Toyota's sales are irrelevant to the thread i.e. 'how long can Tesla stay afloat' or to my point re: investors and market projection for the (extremely) hot EV market relative to stricter emission rules, climate change, the pandemic and so on. As EV sales are expected to (continue to) rise globally, of course there would be a simultaneous decline in conventional gas vehicles relative to the aforementioned as well.

Keep in mind you're comparing apples to oranges in terms of age, technology, strategy, market growth/SAM and innovation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2020, 09:31 PM

37,159 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
Tesla has made less than 1 million cars since its inception 8 years ago. Toyota sells over 9 million each year. Toyota is mainstream, Tesla is niche. You can have drawn out pointless argument regarding the semantics of each with someone else.
Toyota is mainstream and sells many more vehicles. I don’t think there’s anything to argue there. Toyota isn’t the only brand that’s “mainstream in market share” as you’ve put it, is it? What are all the brands you consider “mainstream in market share” or is it really just Toyota?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 08-30-2020 at 09:44 PM..

Old 08-30-2020, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Okay, sure, Toyota is mainstream and sells many more vehicles. I don’t think there’s anything to argue there.
Sure there is, from a market analysis perspective (and relativity to Tesla's market cap or valuation).

Old 08-30-2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Sure there is, from a market analysis perspective (and relativity to Tesla's market cap or valuation).
There is no argument over Toyota selling more vehicles which is what I specified. If market share is someone’s criteria for what mainstream is, and I’m not saying it is the only criteria, then I don’t think there’s any argument on those grounds that Toyota is mainstream. My question is, what else does Ziggy consider “mainstream in market share.”

Old 08-30-2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
There is no argument over Toyota selling more vehicles which is what I specified.
I wasn't aware of an argument over it; it's simply irrelevant to the thread.

Old 08-31-2020, 12:45 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,382,615 times
Quote:
Tesla has made less than 1 million cars since its inception 8 years ago. Toyota sells over 9 million each year. Toyota is mainstream, Tesla is niche. You can have drawn out pointless argument regarding the semantics of each with someone else.
Not that it really matters but you continue to put out bad info, you can't seem to bother to ensure your data is accurate. Tesla has made more than a million vehicles, they made a big deal about it maybe 6 months ago. Also Tesla inception was July, 2003, 17 years ago and Tesla started producing Roadsters in 2008, 12 years ago. Model S has been in production since 2012.

Implying less demand due to reduced registrations fails to take into account that production was shut down by the state of CA for half of the quarter so less cars built to register.

Old 08-31-2020, 06:00 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Not that it really matters but you continue to put out bad info, you can't seem to bother to ensure your data is accurate. Tesla has made more than a million vehicles, they made a big deal about it maybe 6 months ago. Also Tesla inception was July, 2003, 17 years ago and Tesla started producing Roadsters in 2008, 12 years ago. Model S has been in production since 2012.

Implying less demand due to reduced registrations fails to take into account that production was shut down by the state of CA for half of the quarter so less cars built to register.
Ok, so a million cars in 17 years. Even worse.
Registrations have been dropping since before the pandemic https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile..../idUSKBN1ZF03N

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cleante...-in-japan/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...-february/amp/

Tesla’s best markets are always it’s newest markets. When it becomes old hat, they move to a new market to make it seem like the momentum never stops. Problem, is there’s a finite number of markets.

Old 08-31-2020, 06:10 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times
Quote:
There is no argument over Toyota selling more vehicles which is what I specified. If market share is someone’s criteria for what mainstream is, and I’m not saying it is the only criteria, then I don’t think there’s any argument on those grounds that Toyota is mainstream. My question is, what else does Ziggy consider “mainstream in market share.”
Tesla sells one type of vehicle...EV’s. Mainstream automakers sell everything from EV’s to hybrid’s to diesels. Hence they have more to offer a much broader market. Tesla is not a competitor to Toyota. Tesla might have a car that competes with a specific Toyota model, but otherwise the companies themselves are not direct competitors.

Old 08-31-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Tesla sells one type of vehicle...EV’s. Mainstream automakers sell everything from EV’s to hybrid’s to diesels. Hence they have more to offer a much broader market. Tesla is not a competitor to Toyota. Tesla might have a car that competes with a specific Toyota model, but otherwise the companies themselves are not direct competitors.
You said “mainstream in market share.” That being said, that basic premise seems odd. People do cross-shop among different powertrains as their budgets generally don’t have separate buckets for each powertrain. What is the mainstream in market share threshold you’re talking about here? Surely it can’t just be Toyota could it?

Old 08-31-2020, 07:17 AM

7,268 posts, read 5,147,374 times
How long can Tesla stay afloat?

Six pages of posts and everybody seems to have missed the right answer--"As long as the govt contracts, tax breaks and subsides keep coming."...

Notice that Musk doesn't get involved in anything that doesn't have that built in profit safety net under it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla