Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 10:16 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,754,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
It's much more than that. We got no tax breaks when we bought our Model Y....it's just the best car on the planet currently is why we bought it.
Do not go overboard. Yes, it is the best "electric" car on the planet but that is as far as it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2020, 11:28 AM

30,390 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Do not go overboard. Yes, it is the best "electric" car on the planet but that is as far as it goes.
To me it's open and shut case, it's the best car on the planet due to no emissions into your garage that you're breathing every day giving you cancer, super efficient (makes Prius's gas/energy guzzlers in comparison), super quick, smooth, 1 pedal driving, and best tech you can get.....by far the best car on the planet currently.

Old 09-01-2020, 12:23 PM

37,160 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I mean, yea, you can make the argument that there is no single best car on the planet since people have different needs, but it’s a pretty good overall contender.

Old 09-01-2020, 12:35 PM

12,477 posts, read 9,560,412 times
Quote:
The stock probably is overvalued right now. We sold our shares yesterday and made enough on them to pay for a couple of Teslas which was our goal.
Some economists/analysts describe market valuations as if they are objective and well informed, and therefore, accurate. I think that some people are both of these things, but they're probably (in my view) the minority. Most people are making trades based on emotions, speculation, or very shallow knowledge and/or rationale.

Old 09-01-2020, 12:39 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,170,583 times
I feel sorry for the OP here, dragging up an old thread like this.

But I'll pile on anyway, LOL: if OP had bought $10,000 worth of TSLA stock back in May 2019 when he made his post, that $10k would have grown to $103,478 today

Old 09-01-2020, 06:17 PM

37,160 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
I feel sorry for the OP here, dragging up an old thread like this.

But I'll pile on anyway, LOL: if OP had bought $10,000 worth of TSLA stock back in May 2019 when he made his post, that $10k would have grown to $103,478 today
I'm a shareholder and previously had more shares, but that doesn't mean I imagined this rapid of a rise. I do think there's a lot of speculation involved and if the shares right now only reflect likely future profits (which is obviously not all that goes into share prices), then we're talking about a lot of assumptions and a pretty long-term future built in.

Anyhow, as far as I can tell, the only major thing this does in affecting the company really is more name recognition (news about shares might stoke people to then look into cars), better terms in regards to lending and debt refinancing, or selling a major stake / merging at a better position to a larger company. Those are pretty good things, but they aren't likely to make or break the company anytime soon especially as Tesla seems pretty unlikely to do that last bit.

Old 09-01-2020, 09:39 PM

8,680 posts, read 3,876,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
EV market is finite just like the market for diesels, cell phones, computers, or anything else. Even so, that’s not to say Tesla can expect 100% market share of EV’s. Tesla’s market share can be expected to drop as EV markets invite more competition and local incentives dry up for Tesla and favor new comers. Mandates are only in Europe and China and and some states, and registrations in all those places are already dropping with very little competition. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tel...tails/52980137

I’m not sure how Tesla fans on these threads are gloating when Tesla’s sole achievement this year seems to be an overvalued stock price and what appears declining enthusiasm and growth of their products in the face of very little competition.

If anybody wants to share a theory as to how all this bad news is actually good and justifies their share price, feel free.
I'm not necessarily a (personal) Tesla fan; I'm simply stating the obvious relative to its valuation and market analysis (and from a corporate/investor/analyst standpoint as to how it's positioned). The EV market is red-hot (as evidenced by various direct competition coming online i.e. Xpeng and so on); that you mention new 'competition' appears to acknowledge (on your end) other companies/huge investor interest in the market as a whole. Growth potential is the barometer (and many large markets evolve from a niche). The EV market has been barely tapped and is only limited by way of SAM and reach of distribution i.e. impossible to capture it all in its entirety; thus, 'infinite' as it is evolving/growing by way of certainty (Europe is all in) and China being the largest auto market in the world. That Tesla has an early foothold is highly relevant.

That said, it would be more interesting if you spoke relative to your own thoughts (as opposed to copying feed and links from which you gather information). Is it actually your opinion, then, Tesla will not stay afloat, per the thread?

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 09-01-2020 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-05-2020, 10:20 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Quote:
Tesla will probably last longer than any other current car company. Tesla is so much better than Prius...but as long as you are happy with that slow gas guzzler Prius spewing poisonous fumes in your garage and neighborhood, enjoy.
That is patently false, a troll post. I own both a Model 3 and continue to drive my Prius. All Priuses are PZEV and spews less gas than any ICE. Most of the time it idles without running any motor at all.

Old 09-07-2020, 03:26 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I'm not necessarily a (personal) Tesla fan; I'm simply stating the obvious relative to its valuation and market analysis (and from a corporate/investor/analyst standpoint as to how it's positioned). The EV market is red-hot (as evidenced by various direct competition coming online i.e. Xpeng and so on); that you mention new 'competition' appears to acknowledge (on your end) other companies/huge investor interest in the market as a whole. Growth potential is the barometer (and many large markets evolve from a niche). The EV market has been barely tapped and is only limited by way of SAM and reach of distribution i.e. impossible to capture it all in its entirety; thus, 'infinite' as it is evolving/growing by way of certainty (Europe is all in) and China being the largest auto market in the world. That Tesla has an early foothold is highly relevant.

That said, it would be more interesting if you spoke relative to your own thoughts (as opposed to copying feed and links from which you gather information). Is it actually your opinion, then, Tesla will not stay afloat, per the thread?
I speak relative to my own thoughts on every post. I could argue that I’m one of the few posters who share their actual thoughts. Most Tesla (or any other car brand enthusiast) only get their news from selected sources that tell them what they want to hear. I aim to provide a realtor check where I can and offer links to back it up. I may be “glass half empty”, but one of the only dissenting voices on these threads.

As to Tesla’s footprint in Europe and China, if it’s really that large and guaranteed, Tesla’s market share given first mover advantage, lack of competition, and massive tax incentives is actually fairly disappointing. Tesla’s massive valuation seems to primarily influenced by Tesla’s survival vs profit margin and growth.

EV’s in general are simply another evolution of propulsion. More “fuel injection vs carburetor” as opposed to the “car vs horse” comparisons people make them out to be.

Old 09-07-2020, 05:35 PM

8,680 posts, read 3,876,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I speak relative to my own thoughts on every post. I could argue that I’m one of the few posters who share their actual thoughts. Most Tesla (or any other car brand enthusiast) only get their news from selected sources that tell them what they want to hear. I aim to provide a realtor check where I can and offer links to back it up. I may be “glass half empty”, but one of the only dissenting voices on these threads.

As to Tesla’s footprint in Europe and China, if it’s really that large and guaranteed, Tesla’s market share given first mover advantage, lack of competition, and massive tax incentives is actually fairly disappointing. Tesla’s massive valuation seems to primarily influenced by Tesla’s survival vs profit margin and growth.

EV’s in general are simply another evolution of propulsion. More “fuel injection vs carburetor” as opposed to the “car vs horse” comparisons people make them out to be.
Dissension for the sake of having something to argue, particularly when relative to Tesla's valuation and the EV market as a whole, comes across as foolish, particularly when compared to Toyota i.e. your earlier posts (and is not relevant to whether one is a personal enthusiast of Tesla or not).

Speaking to 'reality', its valuation is what it is. You may consider it over-hyped, of course; but that's far different than a thorough analysis of the EV market as a whole along with where/how Tesla is positioned to capture a (significant) share of it. How much of, rather than if, is the question in a market with expected growth to 41M units i.e. a CAGR of almost 22% in the next five years (regardless of what you want to refer to it as).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla