Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 06:19 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,560,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritof68 View Post
We were debating whether Texas is a Southern or Southwestern State.
Both.. honestly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2021, 12:50 PM

11 posts, read 5,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh you mean that town in the furthest corner possible in northeast Texas - that town that has it's other half - literally - in Arkansas? OK. I'll give you that booming metropolis.

I have relatives in Magnolia, AR (and Texarkana for that matter, though I'm not sure whether they live in Texarkana AR or Texarkana TX to be honest), and there's a reason why what I grew up calling "Southern Bell" (the telephone company) has always been called "Southwestern Bell" in this region. I recall as a child always being struck by that when I would visit them and see the telelphone book in their house.

Arkansas doesn't seem like the Deep South to me either, by the way. Southern, yes.

This is such a ridiculous argument - I'm glad this is free entertainment and that in a bit I'll be graced with company from the Deep South (my daughter was born in Georgia)! Of course, she'll be accompanied by some Texans (three of her four kids were born in Texas) but they are under no illusions about being from the Deep South - nor do they care for that matter. Being Texans is more than enough for them when it comes to state pride. As it should be! Texas is great!

Maybe we can agree on that.
Not sure why I’m on here (I do actually, cuz I’m procrastinating at work), but I like y’alls perspective on this astronomically meaningless topic. Maybe because it seems the most level headed. Anyway I wasn’t born in Texas, we moved here when I was a kid from north Louisiana (lose-e-anna) (Monroe area). I didn’t really like it at first; I never understood the Texas pride. There’s tons of southern/country/redneck pride in Louisiana, but dress that up in boots and a cowboy hat and I think it goes straight to your head. I have been here for over 25 years now and have learned that William B Travis and William Butler Bonham are 4th and 5th cousins of mine that came from South Carolina (I believe) to fight (and die) at the Alamo. I think that fighting/adventurous/go-big-or-go-home spirit still lives on in Texas (although it seems to be dying) and now I am very proud to be a part of it (at least I like to think so). I think cowboy and deep southern culture are both neato so East Texas is a good blend (possibly the only blend). I care more about hunting and fishing than culture so it’s still a great place for that. But for culture, where else can you find backwoods black communities that only ride horses (Tennessee trotters, because of their smooth gait)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas