Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2017, 09:08 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,008,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And many Germans came straight here from Germany through Galveston BEFORE the Civil War, and many Mexicans were already here (Texas having been part of Mexico first), and many Czech came NOT through the South, and even some of my own ancestors came from England to the Northeast and over to the midwest and down to Texas, avoiding the South entirely. Heck, as a genealogist, I know that many of those "Southerners" were actually coming THROUGH the South to get further West (down from the Northeast after arriving from England, across to Texas and further West, sometimes picking up wives and children along the way).

Unless you ignore huge parts of the cultures that went into making up Texas, you can't state that it is the South, founded by Southerners. You just can't. And the Southwest is very different from the South. East Texas shares the most with the South, but that's not anywhere near all of Texas, not by a long shot.
It is the South with more Spanish and German culture, but the South none the less. I'm not talking about people that were passing through, I'm talking about every branch of my family
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 09:10 AM

I think what city/neighborhood you live in will certainly impact your choice.

Old 12-10-2017, 10:25 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,141,786 times
The eastern 3/4s of Texas is very clearly the south - albeit with an infusion of mexican culture. And most of East Texas is an extension of the deep south historically, topographically anad geographically.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:44 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Texas is all that AND a bag of chips - tortilla chips, that is.

Old 12-11-2017, 02:47 PM

113 posts, read 113,738 times
hot salsa and chips

Old 12-11-2017, 03:19 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
I thought I had replied in this thread but it must have been one of the many others like it.

I grew up at Lufkin and my dad's family came to Texas from Catahoula Parish. LA and the Carolinas. My mom's family came to Texas out of northern Alabama and the Carolinas. I've always said that, had I met and married my wife in Angelina County, my children would have webbed toes. Eastern Texas has deep, deep deep southeastern cultural roots. There were few Hispanic families in Lufkin in the late 1950s and early 1969s. I went to high school with one Hispanic fellow that I recall and it was difficult to learn Spanish because there was no one who spoke it in public in the 1960s.

On the other hand, the western part of Texas, at least the High Plains, has connections to the deep south but I think primarily from the eastern Texas families, like me, who moved out here in recent years and in the near past to escape the boll weevil. My wife's South High Plains family came to west Texas from Minnesota and I have always had the impression that many of the early families out here came from Mexico and from other states.

Culturally I would say Texas has historically had both strong southwestern influences as well as strong deep south influences. The eastern side has been culturally deep south and the west side has been historically influenced by the southwest and other parts of the country. However, modern day divisional politics, local economics and mobile generations stand to change much of this soon.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:43 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
It is the South with more Spanish and German culture, but the South none the less. I'm not talking about people that were passing through, I'm talking about every branch of my family
And that is YOUR family. You are having to ignore other Texans' families in order to make your claim. Is there a Southern influence? Yes, absolutely. There is also a German influence, a Spanish influence, a French influence, a Czech influence (all of those coming directly here NOT through "the South".

Texas is Texas, pure and simple. It is a blend. It is large enough and varied enough to be its own region.

Growing up in East Texas, as a little girl, I would have LOVED for Texas to be part of "the South", for romantic reasons. Once I grew up and was more experienced and learned more, I had to give that childhood dream up and acknowledge the reality (which is actually, if you think about it, much more romantic).

Old 12-12-2017, 08:09 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
I would say it's a mixture. Without a doubt, Houston, Beaumont, and East Texas are the South. El Paso is not the South, however.

Old 12-12-2017, 12:03 PM

I guess the Cajun influence means that South Louisiana isn't Southern either

Old 12-12-2017, 12:21 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I guess the Cajun influence means that South Louisiana isn't Southern either
Nope, that would be eastern Canadian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas