Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2014, 08:39 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,270,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
Incorrect. As a UT grad I met a ton of students from out of state and from other countries. And as someone who has worked in Europe, UT is a very recognized university.
That explains a lot.

Part of UH's original mission statement was to serve the non traditional population so of course there will be a lot of people taking 5+ years to graduate.

You are living in the world of Miami Vice and DOS computers if you haven't noticed the changes going on at UH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 09:02 PM

7 posts, read 7,464 times
Quote:
A lot of students that go to Trinity are from other states, and most leave Texas after graduation. Yes, it's a small school but having a low professor to student ratio is not irrelevant. And I don't see how having a small student body makes a university irrelevant. Living in SA I have met many Trinity students from Washington, Oregon, New Hemisphere, California, Vermont, Wyoming, etc. Needless to say I don't think many bright high school graduates from states across the country are busting down the doors to come to Texas and go to Tech, UH, SMU, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Many aren't flocking in from other states to go to UT, A&M either. I don't think it's the same as students moving out of state to go to schools in Cali or Mass.
Here's the reason you think people are not flocking to UT and A&M, it's not because they don't want to; Texas state laws mandates they can't. From the UT admissions website:

"As a state-assisted institution, the University reserves 90% of its spaces for Texas residents per Texas law; 10% of the spaces are reserved for out-of-state and international students."

Freshman Admission < The University of Texas at Austin

Thanks, TEXEX06; I went to Trinity and tried to ignore being called irrelevant

Old 08-13-2014, 09:59 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
I don't think UH is a consideration because its a city college. It's only now that UH is getting any dues. UT though is way over stated by some of its students. Some of them act as though they're attending Berkeley or UMich. Only Rice grads can be more pompous. Although in their defense the average Texan thinks Rice is an Ivy or like Harvard.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:02 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
That explains a lot.

Part of UH's original mission statement was to serve the non traditional population so of course there will be a lot of people taking 5+ years to graduate.

You are living in the world of Miami Vice and DOS computers if you haven't noticed the changes going on at UH.
LOL, yeah I know. These guys are still stuck in the 90s with images of "Cougar High". UH has moved up along with Houston as a great school in the State.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:25 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,086,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
LOL, yeah I know. These guys are still stuck in the 90s with images of "Cougar High". UH has moved up along with Houston as a great school in the State.
Actually stuck in the early 1960's.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:15 PM

227 posts, read 385,830 times
Why would anyone pay the cost of Trinity or TCU or Baylor to graduate in liberal arts, business, education and the like? You pay a lot less at A&M, Tech, UH or UTSA and you get the same job and salary.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:43 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,970,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer2014 View Post
Why would anyone pay the cost of Trinity or TCU or Baylor to graduate in liberal arts, business, education and the like? You pay a lot less at A&M, Tech, UH or UTSA and you get the same job and salary.
Why are you to say they shouldn't? Why go to a private school at all if a public school offers the same major?

Old 08-14-2014, 09:10 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,773 times
UT-Dallas!

Great professors, many of whom with industry experience. The student body seemed more mature and focused when compared to kids at other schools. It wasn't the intellectual superiority that young adults are known to have, but rather a certain "grown uppedness" that you don't have at other schools.

Unless you go to Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Princeton, Yale, Caltech etc., the name of the school matters little for most grads after your first job. If you plan on going to grad school, it matters even less. You can probably go to a no-name school in undergrad and a "name" school for your MBA.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:29 PM

298 posts, read 416,728 times
Quote:
Why are you to say they shouldn't? Why go to a private school at all if a public school offers the same major?
Because why pay an extra $20,000+ a year for the same/better quality program?

As for your second question, that varies tremendously among schools.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:28 AM

227 posts, read 385,830 times
Quote:
If your kid wants to be a teacher making 30k per year or an accountant or engineer, why incur the costs of TCU, SMU or Baylor when Texas A&M, Texas Tech or UH would get you the same job and salary? Seems like a poor investment decision to me.

Most private schools are not worth the money and will have a tough time justifying the high tuition in the coming years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas