Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 01:46 PM

60 posts, read 133,472 times

Advertisements

They have reduced foot traffic on the streets, because as of right now it should be employees at these buildings walking the streets from the start to give some sort of action there. But there isn't because they are all walking underground and through skywalks. Basically, what Dallas is saying is this "you all need to walk outside to your cars and etc just like everyone else is doing around you." With the new park opening, it will give the spectators another reason to come the park since they actually see people walking the streets to and fro now. It's just the city's way of creating some street level vibrancy to attract more tenants there. If it starts to become overwhelming down there, the tunnels will buffer that.....believe me on this. That will yield an incentive for the city to invest money into tunnel upgrade & expansion then. I do understand what you're saying.

Moderator cut: orphaned

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-11-2012 at 11:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 02:25 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Uh...Houstons tunnel system is just a smidge larger than Dallas'...Honestly I was expecting a system that covered the entire DT Houston.
Judging by the map, Houston's downtown grid and tunnel is way more compact than Dallas' and appears to be twice the size.

When you drive through downtown Dallas it seems like you've exited just as soon as you've entered. Houston doesn't feel like that.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:53 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Uh...Houstons tunnel system is just a smidge larger than Dallas'...Honestly I was expecting a system that covered the entire DT Houston.
Don't judge it by the pictures. Those pictures are on 2 different scales. Since downtown Houston is at least twice as large as Dallas's, they have to fit everything into it to fit the size of the picture and Houston is shown at a smaller scale. Basically saying what MM was TRYING to say.

Dallas's tunnel system is larger than I thought though.

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)

Old 08-11-2012, 05:54 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Don't judge it by the pictures. Those pictures are on 2 different scales. Since downtown Houston is at least twice as large as Dallas's, they have to fit everything into it to fit the size of the picture and Houston is shown at a smaller scale. Basically saying what MM was TRYING to say.

Dallas's tunnel system is larger than I thought though.

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)
Dallas' tunnel map is zoomed in so its not nearly as large as it appears.

Houston's downtown IS twice the size of Dallas'.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:10 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
I still say Tunnels KILL downtown and the only kinds of tunnels under the city should be used just for cars and subways.

Someone suggested Downtown Fort Worth have tunnels...... I wanted to kick him in the bean bag for even suggesting that.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:40 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I still say Tunnels KILL downtown and the only kinds of tunnels under the city should be used just for cars and subways.

Someone suggested Downtown Fort Worth have tunnels...... I wanted to kick him in the bean bag for even suggesting that.
I agree that it kills pedestrian street activity, but I sure am thankful for them in the summer.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:04 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Maybe I misread some posts, but please tell me we're not sitting here debating who has the bigger tunnel system, as if it's some sort of plus.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:14 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,947,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
They also didn't have global warming & ozone air pollution warnings back when either.

Dallas was a small country town back then you have to understand, not the sprawling city of 1.2 mill. it is today.
I wouldn't call a city of 679,684 a small country town. Dallas County alone had a population of 951,527, ten years later it was well over 1.3 million.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:25 AM

1,518 posts, read 3,056,573 times
Also, last I checked, global warming accounted for less than a degree of average global temperature change. It's not yet significant enough to factor in here. The pollution issue may be a more significant change though.

Houston does get a point for having a somewhat more extensive tunnel system, although both cities could really benefit by expanding them. Toronto's system has its downtown much more pedestrian friendly.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:31 AM

229 posts, read 305,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Dallas' tunnel map is zoomed in so its not nearly as large as it appears.

Houston's downtown IS twice the size of Dallas'.
I believe that Downtown Dallas has about 125,000 workers and Houston has about 150,000, what exactly are you referring to when you say Houston's downtown is twice as big?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas