Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 01:08 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,538,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
Listen to the Chicagoan! He knows his stuff Dwam!

Haha, thanks but I don't become a Chicagoan for two more weeks. I changed my location a bit prematurely out of excitement. Still a Dallasite in the meantime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 01:10 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,322,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Haha, thanks but I don't become a Chicagoan for two more weeks. I changed my location a bit prematurely out of excitement. Still a Dallasite in the meantime.
Lol shhhhh! Don't let them hear you.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:44 AM

709 posts, read 1,402,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
How do I get to my hotel in Downtown Dallas so I can get out at street level and explore the "urbanity"? I drove for 3.5 hours on I-45 and now just have to navigate the local streets. There are 1,2, 3 or 4 (and sadistically maybe a 5th street) grid that juxtaposes each another!?! What a torture chamber! I'll be spending an extra hour finding my hotel. I guess I'll explore the streets tomorrow morning after a good night's rest.

I miss Downtown Houston's uniform street grid with the consistent one-way streets!
If you find downtown Dallas confusing I'd strongly advise you to avoid downtown San Antonio at ALL COST!

I love SA, but OMG it is confusing! Dallas is a piece of cake compared to SA.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:42 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,972,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
So they must be below average since Dallas is the eighth largest city and Houston is fourth. Nevertheless, it's a supporting reason for expansion of the pedestrian network.
That doesn't mean it is below average.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Exactly. Austin and Ft. Worth are by far the most walkable cities in Texas. Dallas and Houston come in at a distant 3a and 3b. And the tunnels SUCK. If both cities were smart, they would shut them down immediately and breathe life into the city. People can easily get used to the heat. It's no wonder that both Houston and Dallas are two of the fattest cities in this country. It's because they're full of people who would rather drive three blocks than walk in inconvenient weather.
So, are we talking just Downtown cores or the entire city, because Fort Worth and Austin are not much more walkable than Houston and Dallas.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:14 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,063,445 times
Quote:
Listen to the Chicagoan! He knows his stuff Dwam!
Only agreeing with opinion because it puts Austin in a good light.... is still just opinion.

Facts:
Austin's Walkscore: 47
Fort Worth's Walkscore: 36
Houston's Walkscore: 50
Dallas' Walkscore: 47

I know using Walkscore of a city isn't perfect, but at least it's hard evidence rather than opinion or image. And it's showing basically the opposite of what you two are saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
So, are we talking just Downtown cores or the entire city, because Fort Worth and Austin are not much more walkable than Houston and Dallas.
Which is what I basically had said before. And actually, Walkscore shows Houston to be most walkable overall.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:18 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,359,312 times
Quote:
Leaving Big D for a city that's more like Houston? Say it ain't so!

Old 08-16-2012, 10:19 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,322,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Only agreeing with opinion because it puts Austin in a good light.... is still just opinion.

Facts:
Austin's Walkscore: 47
Fort Worth's Walkscore: 36
Houston's Walkscore: 50
Dallas' Walkscore: 47

I know using Walkscore of a city isn't perfect, but at least it's hard evidence rather than opinion or image. And it's showing basically the opposite of what you two are saying.

Which is what I basically had said before. And actually, Walkscore shows Houston to be most walkable overall.
I'm going use my experiences of being DT in each city, but I guess you could use that if you want

Old 08-16-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I'm going use my experiences of being DT in each city, but I guess you could use that if you want
Doesn't go with what you thought huh? And all of the downtowns are walkable. Austin has more activity because that's the only real party spot in Austin. Works for the city.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:35 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,538,401 times
Quote:
Just cores, mainly downtown and one or two other inner core neighborhoods -- which is what really defines a city. All Texas cities become certified suburbs and unwalkable once you get more than a few miles outside of downtown. I personally don't care what's happening in Houston outside of 610 anymore than I care about Dallas north of Mockingbird or Ft. Worth north of the Stockyards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Leaving Big D for a city that's more like Houston? Say it ain't so!
I would have stayed in Dallas if I wanted to be in a city more like Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas