Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 12:30 PM

507 posts, read 1,669,578 times

Advertisements

Hi there

so I have the last week of November off work and I'd like to go on a trip. I am a huge NBA fan and especially a Dirk Nowitzki fan (I am German :-)) so I thought it might be a nice idea to have a look around Texas and top it all off with a Mavs Game in Dallas, they play the Pistons in Dallas on the 1st of Dec which would be my last day, perfect timing!

From all I have heard Austin is a nice and interesting place, too, so I would really like to have a look at Austin too.

Considering I only have one week the things I can see are obviously limited but is there anything else in the relative proximity that you would recommend to see? I initially thought about flying into San Antonio and catch a Spurs game but they are playing on the road all that week . Is San Antonio still worth a visit? Houston would be the other option of course and the Rockets have a home game that week although the timing would not be ideal.

When doing 'urban tourism' I like to go and see museums and galleries, sample city life in all its shapes and generally get to know a place, wherever possible on foot and by public transport. I am a guy in my 30s and I like to get to know the character of the places I go to a bit. I am not big onto too touriste Disneyland type attractions and things like that...

So do you guys think a SA-Austin-Dallas or Houston-Austin-Dallas trip would be a feasible and interesting tour for one week? If yes, which one would you prefer? Are there any must-see attractions (nature or otherwise) that I would have to schedule in?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Lars

P.S. What would the weather be like at the end of November? Much rain? Storms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 12:58 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,030,342 times
Houston? BAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would go to Dallas just to watch the game and leave. Then spend the rest of my time in Austin getting liquored up.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:03 PM

507 posts, read 1,669,578 times
so I take it you don't like Houston? What is your dislike based on?

Old 10-17-2012, 01:31 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,271,055 times
One week - three cities, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio.

I would spend a day checking out the Alamo and the River Walk in San Antonio. The Alamo as you may or may not know is an Historical place for Texas...sorta where it all started. There is a 100 yr old hotel just a minute walk across the street called the Minger and access to the River Walk is about a 5 minute walk.

Austin, our Liberal Fruity side lol. Check out the State Capital and eat some good food. If you're in town on a weekend, hit up 6th street near the Capital...no car is require as they block off the street for everyone walking.

Then finish the trip up in Dallas Texas. Down town Dallas has a Musuem district which boast exhibits from all over the country an world. You can find out what's going on by checking online. Then head over and root for the Mavs!

Old 10-17-2012, 01:57 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,274,441 times
If you do the Alamo make sure and see The Price of Freedom at the River Center IMAX before. If you aren't already very familiar with the story the Alamo won't mean as much. Also check out Phil Collins' (yes THAT Phil Collins) life-size diorama across the street. It's very moving.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:02 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,956,038 times
Houston has world class museums, including a fantastic new dinosaur exhibit at the Houston Museum of Natural Science. Houston Museum of Natural Science
In Austin, don't miss the Bob Bullock museum, The Story of Texas
San Antonio has lots to do, as well. Enjoy our fair state!

Old 10-17-2012, 03:06 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,895,583 times
If you like museums, you must come to Fort Worth! We have some of the best art museums in the USA!

Personally, I would skip Houston, but that's just me..

Old 10-17-2012, 03:47 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,807,211 times
Just a fyi, you mentioned that you like to rely on public transportation -- this may not be your best route to take to really see Texas and the cities within. I'd suggest that you instead fly into one of our major cities, rent a car so that you can then really see and experience each one and what they have to offer and then travel by auto to the other ones rather than fly.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:57 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,274,061 times
Houston doesn't have a lot of touristy stuff (we live there), but the museums and the Kemah Boardwalk, while kitschy, is entertaining. Actually we like to go to San Antonio or downtown Ft Worth for vacations. Since you are German, also consider Fredericksburg since it is one of many little towns settled by Germans. You will still hear German spoken there in some of the restaurants.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:34 PM

679 posts, read 1,803,432 times
Be sure to check out the Hill Country (Fredericksburg) as Daniel suggests! It is beautiful. The weather is hit or miss but will be much nicer than the north, that is for sure. I also agree with renting a car. Texas is a fabulous state to visit, so many different things to offer and places to see!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas