Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 02:14 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,833,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroPlumber View Post
1. The terrain is the ugliest I have ever lived around.

2. The climate is terrible. During the summer everything (AND I DO MEAN EVERYTHING) turns brown. During the winter, it can get very cold and the wind blows much of the time.

3, There are few decent restaurants or stores.

4. And the worst thing is the people. Rude, clannish, not accepting of outsiders at all. They have little to no pride in their surroundings and will not spend any money whatsoever to try and make things better. Speaking of Churches, when we visited and said we had moved there from another part of Texas, the members literally turned up their noses at us (not that I ever figured out what they had to be smug about). When we first moved into our house one of my neighbors asked me why in the world had we moved there. Other neighbors wouldn't even waive at us when we passed them on the street.

We left after one year. As we drove away, my wife said "Thank God that place is in our rear view mirror."
Oh great, so because YOU decided to be miserable now it's a terrible place? I'm willing to bet that you hardly put forth any effort to make the most of your time there. How do I know? Because my family and those around us had experiences completely opposite of yours. There was a time when we were the new people on the block, but WE GOT INVOLVED with the community. As a matter of fact, Killeen was the first place I had ever lived where neighbors actually came over to borrow some sugar and invite your kids over to play with their kids. It was the first place I ever lived where a total stranger on my block asked me what my name was and where I was from.

And how can Killeen not be accepting of outsiders?? The whole town is full of outsiders! Hardly anyone is actually from the area, and some people are even from different countries. Many cities 3x the size of Killeen don't have that type of diversity.

And since when is the Hill Country ugly terrain? My neighborhood alone was filled with hills and trees.

Yes Killeen can be clannish and yes it can be boring if you're not into the small town atmosphere. But it isn't nearly as bad as people claim, and while it isn't the best area in Texas, it's far from the worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 03:18 PM

491 posts, read 1,261,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Oh great, so because YOU decided to be miserable now it's a terrible place? I'm willing to bet that you hardly put forth any effort to make the most of your time there. How do I know? Because my family and those around us had experiences completely opposite of yours. There was a time when we were the new people on the block, but WE GOT INVOLVED with the community. As a matter of fact, Killeen was the first place I had ever lived where neighbors actually came over to borrow some sugar and invite your kids over to play with their kids. It was the first place I ever lived where a total stranger on my block asked me what my name was and where I was from.

And how can Killeen not be accepting of outsiders?? The whole town is full of outsiders! Hardly anyone is actually from the area, and some people are even from different countries. Many cities 3x the size of Killeen don't have that type of diversity.

And since when is the Hill Country ugly terrain? My neighborhood alone was filled with hills and trees.

Yes Killeen can be clannish and yes it can be boring if you're not into the small town atmosphere. But it isn't nearly as bad as people claim, and while it isn't the best area in Texas, it's far from the worst.
I lived in Temple, not Killeen, but Kileen is bad for other reasons, mainly the fact that it's a military town. Fayetteville, NC is the same type of town, but other surrounding towns in that area of NC are fine. Not so in this part of Texas. As far as "getting involved" we tried, it was the local people who didn't want anything to do with outsiders. By way, this is NOT the Hill Country. That is an insult to Austin, San Marcos, New Braunfels, etc. See Texas Hill Country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia But, I'm glad you are happy there.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:45 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,833,190 times
Quote:
I lived in Temple, not Killeen, but Kileen is bad for other reasons, mainly the fact that it's a military town. Fayetteville, NC is the same type of town, but other surrounding towns in that area of NC are fine. Not so in this part of Texas. As far as "getting involved" we tried, it was the local people who didn't want anything to do with outsiders.
Well I can't speak on growing up in Temple, even though I lived there as an adult. But Temple/Waco is completely different from Killeen/Cove/Heights.

Quote:
By way, this is NOT the Hill Country. That is an insult to Austin, San Marcos, New Braunfels, etc. See Texas Hill Country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia But, I'm glad you are happy there.
Technically no, the Killeen area isn't part of the Hill Country, although I never understood why it isn't included in most definitions.

And an "insult to Austin" my ass. The area is beautiful and full of sweeping views. Especially Copperas Cove.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 10,892 times
Default the ugliest seen

Quote:
1. The terrain is the ugliest I have ever lived around.

2. The climate is terrible. During the summer everything (AND I DO MEAN EVERYTHING) turns brown. During the winter, it can get very cold and the wind blows much of the time.

3, There are few decent restaurants or stores.

4. And the worst thing is the people. Rude, clannish, not accepting of outsiders at all. They have little to no pride in their surroundings and will not spend any money whatsoever to try and make things better. Speaking of Churches, when we visited and said we had moved there from another part of Texas, the members literally turned up their noses at us (not that I ever figured out what they had to be smug about). When we first moved into our house one of my neighbors asked me why in the world had we moved there. Other neighbors wouldn't even waive at us when we passed them on the street.

We left after one year. As we drove away, my wife said "Thank God that place is in our rear view mirror."
I agree with electro plumer, I say this because I was their from 82-83 then from 87-90, and again from 05 to 06, sadly I commited a crime against God I guess and I am headed back. Killeen was nicer when I was their in 87 but it is absolutly the ugliest dirtiest, and un cultured place I have seen in years. I am currently in Sierra Vista the town is not even a half the size of Killeen the post could occupy the 4 Id side of Hood. Yet we have three suppermarkets yes three and they are cleaner brighter and better stocked than any of the yahoo HEB, or supper walmarts in a 200 mile radiouse of your area.we have asian greek,italian,german,mexican, and korean restraunts,a mall that puts Killeens to shame,lower than average crime rate low property taxes, catolic,morman prodistant,and other churches. Mountains with snow on top not ant hills the people stop at red lights, they are nice, the soldiers respect the town and law inforcement. So yea I think I would rather be asigned to a post in hell than have to return to Killeen where people are rude and you have to wate 3 to 6 weeks just to get your drivers license because DMV in Killeen is 40 years behind everyone but Iraq and can not take your photo and print it right then and their. Oh and to make matters worse my last time their my insurance company and a couple other places did not have the ability to recieve payment by debit,even Arkansas can do that. Killeen is a place that has no pride in its town,engineers who have no clue how to set up your roads and infrastucture, has more drugs,and crack houses per block than LA, roach infested,water leaking,slums that rent for un real prices, and you can not deny that. look at your traffic back ups and acident because of the way they built, and the way people drive, watch the crack heads and drugies as they wonder around the streets and aproach people to get money , and the Killeen police are not near as good as they think, I know I called them because I got hit and the vehicle kept going their response was not anything we can do you want hear that here in Sierra Vista. Then Tucson has smoother traffic flow and 6 times the people than Killeen, to include an Air Force Base.Plus I would venture that 40% are on welfare Killeen, because killeen has no jobs and most of the those 40% don't want to work anyway.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:23 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intransit1 View Post
I agree with electro plumer, I say this because I was their from 82-83 then from 87-90, and again from 05 to 06, sadly I commited a crime against God I guess and I am headed back. Killeen was nicer when I was their in 87 but it is absolutly the ugliest dirtiest, and un cultured place I have seen in years. I am currently in Sierra Vista the town is not even a half the size of Killeen the post could occupy the 4 Id side of Hood. Yet we have three suppermarkets yes three and they are cleaner brighter and better stocked than any of the yahoo HEB, or supper walmarts in a 200 mile radiouse of your area.we have asian greek,italian,german,mexican, and korean restraunts,a mall that puts Killeens to shame,lower than average crime rate low property taxes, catolic,morman prodistant,and other churches. Mountains with snow on top not ant hills the people stop at red lights, they are nice, the soldiers respect the town and law inforcement. So yea I think I would rather be asigned to a post in hell than have to return to Killeen where people are rude and you have to wate 3 to 6 weeks just to get your drivers license because DMV in Killeen is 40 years behind everyone but Iraq and can not take your photo and print it right then and their. Oh and to make matters worse my last time their my insurance company and a couple other places did not have the ability to recieve payment by debit,even Arkansas can do that. Killeen is a place that has no pride in its town,engineers who have no clue how to set up your roads and infrastucture, has more drugs,and crack houses per block than LA, roach infested,water leaking,slums that rent for un real prices, and you can not deny that. look at your traffic back ups and acident because of the way they built, and the way people drive, watch the crack heads and drugies as they wonder around the streets and aproach people to get money , and the Killeen police are not near as good as they think, I know I called them because I got hit and the vehicle kept going their response was not anything we can do you want hear that here in Sierra Vista. Then Tucson has smoother traffic flow and 6 times the people than Killeen, to include an Air Force Base.Plus I would venture that 40% are on welfare Killeen, because killeen has no jobs and most of the those 40% don't want to work anyway.
this probably has to be the most ridiculous, inaccurate post i've seen. it's practically full of lies

Old 03-09-2010, 09:00 AM

4 posts, read 18,251 times
Lightbulb Obligation???

I joined this forum just to point out some flaws here...I am a soldier on Ft. Hood, married to another soldier, and let me tell you, I've never waited for "3 to 6 weeks" to get a liscense. I am going to have to say that your experience in Killeen is what you make of it. All these people complaining that no one waves at them, or no one talks to them, just a bit of food for thought, it goes BOTH way. Because of the diversity of cultures and ethnic backgrounds in Killen, most of the citizens here are rather open minded. If you want someone to wave at you, then friggen wave at them first! Who are you to sit back and expect someone to kiss your ass? Are you entitled to 'special treatment of acknowledgement'? The people in Killen, have more important agenda's than to take the time out of their day to identify these supposed so called 'outsiders' and make them feel at home. They have their own lives, jobs, and families to tend to and worry about. I'm sorry, but I would probably not be one of those beaming 'waving' neighbors unless you waved to me first. Hate to say it, but I have more important things on my mind than your delicate feelings, like my family, my job, and my classes/training. Killeen is no better or no worse than any other town. I am friendly with an officer in the Army stationed at FT. Hood with me, who lives in Georgetown! If you are really unhappy with Killeen, then take the time and sacrifice to move. My point is, if you want to live in the Emerald Palace, then get your happy self on the yellow brick road. Judging from many of the derogatory things said here about one, simple city, I'm willing to bet that many of these people are the kind that gripe and complain. A wise NCO in the Army once told me "if you notice something wrong in the world and society, then you just obligated yourself to fix it". Same concept, people, same concept....

Old 03-09-2010, 11:36 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Well I can't speak on growing up in Temple, even though I lived there as an adult. But Temple/Waco is completely different from Killeen/Cove/Heights.

Technically no, the Killeen area isn't part of the Hill Country, although I never understood why it isn't included in most definitions.

And an "insult to Austin" my ass. The area is beautiful and full of sweeping views. Especially Copperas Cove.
Waco is more comparable to Tyler.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:18 PM

65 posts, read 217,751 times
Ya just avoid Killeen completely. I'm not a snob at all but is a strange town. Mostly people who left the military at Ft. Hood, didnt have anywhere else to go or do so they just stayed. There must be a nice part of town, but I've never seen it and dont know where it could possibly be. For the most part its a very ugly town, on the upside houses are very cheap. If you have to the area try Belton, or Lampasas.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 10,553 times
Im from a small town in maine. This will be my first time experience out of the new england states,which is going to be in may located by forthood texas .please give me some positve and truthful input about what to expect, or better yet! What is there to do??? I,m going there to see my two brothers that are military.

Last edited by winslow99; 04-06-2010 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: SPELLING

Old 07-23-2010, 11:51 AM

1 posts, read 9,457 times
Crime is not bad in Harker Heights, I have lived there for ten years and not in one of the new areas. We have gone to sleep at night with our garage door left open inadvertently several times and nothing is ever gone. We like Harker Heights and would never move to Killeen or Copperas Cove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas