Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2023, 10:16 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
There is a program at UTPB that I am interested in. I would have to live there for a year at least, possibly 2. What if life like in 2023? I am from San Antonio and have lived in small towns before so I don’t think it will be a huge culture shock. I know it will be boring but I will keep myself entertained with school, work, watching sports, and maybe the occasional dive bar.
The issue is not that Midland and Odessa are small towns, it is that they are oilfield towns with a huge transient population. You'll pay significantly more for housing there because it is in short supply. (The oilfield workers literally live out of their RVs if they are lucky enough to have them!) Jobs in fast food and retail pay well because there are not enough non-oilfield people to fill them. You're a long way from any other decent-sized city. Just don't get in fights at the bar with those oilfield workers!

Quote:
Any chance for meeting a girl out there or should I just wait till I’m done? Lol.
You and the 50,000 oilfield workers will all be looking for the same girl. And they will have more disposable income than you. So I'd say the odds are stacked against you.

Quote:
Is it possible to attend UTPB while living in midland? From what I gather midland is a lot nicer. Are there still nice parts of Odessa too? I have only really been to andrews.
Midland is the nicer town, although there are decent parts of Odessa. The two cities are only 20 miles apart, so you can easily commute back and forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2023, 12:22 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,004,506 times
I wonder if student housing could be a cheaper option. Thank you so much for the response!

Old 10-24-2023, 01:39 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
https://www.utpb.edu/life-at-utpb/ho...r-plans-rates/

Student housing would probably be your best option!

Old 10-26-2023, 12:19 AM

718 posts, read 396,170 times
Quote:
I wonder if student housing could be a cheaper option. Thank you so much for the response!
You could move to the Complex area off Loop 250 and SH 191. You would have about 15 miles going 80 miles an hour which would be a easy commute.However years ago I heard the risk of getting killed in a car wreck in the Energy Basin is 2.5 times as bad as the rest of Texas.By now it may be more like 3 to 4 to even times as likely.You just have to be really defensive and safe driver and you should be okay.What do you want to study at UTPB.UTPB is a great value because it gets you a degree from the UT system at a much reduced price than say UT Austin.

Just dont take our any student loans whatever you do.You could work as a roughneck and pay off your college bills with cash money quickly.Remember you raise Heck in Odessa and raise a family in Midland.I actually prefer Odessa to Midland.However you have to be very careful with violent crime in Odessa so I would not go to bars and clubs late at night.Be sure to go to see high school football games if you move and read and watch Friday Night Lights to get a real sense of the area.Also sometimes waitresses in Odessa will give themselves a huge tip.I was eating in Odessa once by UTB and the waitress gave herself a roughly 100 dollar tip when on a less than 20 dollar tab so just be sure to watch for that when you go out but really your schooling should be your job.Maybe tradeschool would be better for you just a suggestion.Also one thing with Midland-Odessa is that there's oil drilling right outside the neighborhoods on the West Side.Whole neighboods could be killed with one bad gas leak.The water smells like poop.

Last edited by NewMexicoCowboy; 10-26-2023 at 12:41 AM..

Old 10-26-2023, 04:33 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,004,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicoCowboy View Post
You could move to the Complex area off Loop 250 and SH 191. You would have about 15 miles going 80 miles an hour which would be a easy commute.However years ago I heard the risk of getting killed in a car wreck in the Energy Basin is 2.5 times as bad as the rest of Texas.By now it may be more like 3 to 4 to even times as likely.You just have to be really defensive and safe driver and you should be okay.What do you want to study at UTPB.UTPB is a great value because it gets you a degree from the UT system at a much reduced price than say UT Austin.

Just dont take our any student loans whatever you do.You could work as a roughneck and pay off your college bills with cash money quickly.Remember you raise Heck in Odessa and raise a family in Midland.I actually prefer Odessa to Midland.However you have to be very careful with violent crime in Odessa so I would not go to bars and clubs late at night.Be sure to go to see high school football games if you move and read and watch Friday Night Lights to get a real sense of the area.Also sometimes waitresses in Odessa will give themselves a huge tip.I was eating in Odessa once by UTB and the waitress gave herself a roughly 100 dollar tip when on a less than 20 dollar tab so just be sure to watch for that when you go out but really your schooling should be your job.Maybe tradeschool would be better for you just a suggestion.Also one thing with Midland-Odessa is that there's oil drilling right outside the neighborhoods on the West Side.Whole neighboods could be killed with one bad gas leak.The water smells like poop.
The degree is energy management. If I went to any bar in the area it would be in midland. I would probably want to live somewhat between the two cities after doing some more research

Old 10-26-2023, 06:22 AM

718 posts, read 396,170 times
Quote:
The degree is energy management. If I went to any bar in the area it would be in midland. I would probably want to live somewhat between the two cities after doing some more research
Oh okay.My favorite bar in Midland is the one at Monterrey Cocina Mexicana which is by the local Albertsons or United.I think Buffalo Wild Wings is in that area too by Academy.You could live by the airport exit between the two cities. Our dog sitter did that and she had a nice place in that neighborhood.

Old 10-28-2023, 06:56 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
Quote:
Bumping this thread instead of starting a new one.

There is a program at UTPB that I am interested in. I would have to live there for a year at least, possibly 2. What if life like in 2023? I am from San Antonio and have lived in small towns before so I don’t think it will be a huge culture shock. I know it will be boring but I will keep myself entertained with school, work, watching sports, and maybe the occasional dive bar.

Any chance for meeting a girl out there or should I just wait til I’m done? Lol.

I’m in my mid 20s by the way.

Is it possible to attend UTPB while living in midland? From what I gather midland is a lot nicer. Are there still nice parts of Odessa too? I have only really been to andrews.
I think the west part of Midland and the east part of Odessa are the nicer parts of this area. And yes, Midland is generally nicer than Odessa in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas