Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 10:42 PM

3,894 posts, read 2,207,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I can see College Station eventually just with many of the high income individuals coming from College Station and the possibility of a rail stop within a short commute as well as the completion of the 290 expansion will lead to massive growth in Northern Waller County. Beaumont though I could never see at least this century. It’s a declining metropolis in Texas and not far from the Texas Triangle either. Beaumont would have to see the emergence of a completely new industry or Houston getting so expensive but still taking growth that Beaumont becomes a viable option for East Houston commuters. Texas Triangle like the nation is likely to slow in growth rate although it might still be getting a 100,000 a year as a snowball effect takes in, with this decline in growth I seriously doubt Beaumont would be able to take in much of that growth at all and in fact might decline even faster with lower growth rates.
Aren't the suburban area of Beaumont growing west along Hwy 90? I wonder will the region invest more in better drainage especially after the flooding in September?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2019, 04:54 AM

3,169 posts, read 2,057,357 times
It's possible, but would take something economically to change between the two for a sustained time for that to happen. For the time being, the only situation in which I could see it would be an extended domestic recession at the same time as an international economic boom in key areas like South America, Asia, and the Middle East - basically the opposite of what we're seeing today.

Also agree with those that wouldn't be surprised to see College Station eventually added to the metro, though I don't see that happening for at least another 20 years.

Old 11-25-2019, 08:05 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,980,279 times
Houston has always been a domestic migrant hub when the energy industry as adding jobs. It was getting 50k+ annually earlier this decade. Because it did not have the diverse economy of DFW, the back office capital of America, it was not a consistent domestic magnet.

All it will take is one large non-energy company to decide to put operations in Houston and I think it'll take off from there. Houston won't be the metro for suburban campuses like DFW is. But what it can do is sell the urban side to one of these companies that may see Austin has a little too high or DFW a little too crowded/suburban-oriented and choose Houston. Amazon was a nice wake up call and the Rice-ION Center is the start of the tech diversification for Houston.

It'll be hard for Houston to pass DFW because it's already 600k larger and a very diverse economy, but Houston can start growing as fast as DFW is again and close the gap like it did in the 2000s (and it wasnt too long ago Houston was a larger metro than DFW).

Old 11-25-2019, 08:27 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,413,717 times
Default Why cant We create our own businesses

I understand you point but why does Dallas and Houston need to be dependent upon established businesses relocating? This is actually a sad thing.
Are we not capable of generating our own start up businesses and grow off of that?
I say that we should focus on fostering a good start up scene and venture capital scene that is HOME GROWN! And not just focus on luring relocations and expansions. BTW Austin is beating out both places on that front.
In the long run the one who generates more will win. Just look at silicon valley, San Fran, Boston, New York Srattle etc. They are all start up factories . They are the primary markets. Dallas is just a secondary market who waits for the leaders to send them a bone.
Please tell me what BIG Home Grown plans does Dallas have? Houston is working on TMC-3 . That will be a bioscience research HUB, Houston is also building "THE ION"Which is supposed to be a start up incubator for tech companies.
In the end I would much rather see something that you built from the ground up than something you ste from another start-up HUB. That is mu h more impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Houston has always been a domestic migrant hub when the energy industry as adding jobs. It was getting 50k+ annually earlier this decade. Because it did not have the diverse economy of DFW, the back office capital of America, it was not a consistent domestic magnet.

All it will take is one large non-energy company to decide to put operations in Houston and I think it'll take off from there. Houston won't be the metro for suburban campuses like DFW is. But what it can do is sell the urban side to one of these companies that may see Austin has a little too high or DFW a little too crowded/suburban-oriented and choose Houston. Amazon was a nice wake up call and the Rice-ION Center is the start of the tech diversification for Houston.

It'll be hard for Houston to pass DFW because it's already 600k larger and a very diverse economy, but Houston can start growing as fast as DFW is again and close the gap like it did in the 2000s (and it wasnt too long ago Houston was a larger metro than DFW).

Old 11-25-2019, 08:28 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,505,541 times
Quote:

I found these population projections from American City Business Journals that does project Greater Houston to catch up and pass DFW by 2035. Just click the link then scroll to the bottom of the article to find the portal to their cloud database. It also has a link to their formulations.

The following database contains population projections by American City Business Journals (ACBJ) for 933 metropolitan and micropolitan areas across the country.
Projections are presented for five different intervals that begin in 2015. The shortest is five years (2015-2020), while the longest is a quarter-century (2015-2040).

https://www.bizjournals.com/bizjourn...sdatabase.html

Old 11-25-2019, 09:09 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,525,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Nope. There will likely always be 500-600 thousand gap between the two.
I think the gap could close possibly but the growth rates will continue to remain so similar that the gap will not fully close in our lifetimes. DFW could always pull further away too. No way to know what with economic and immigration changes.

Old 11-25-2019, 09:11 AM

2,512 posts, read 2,218,444 times
I doubt College Station would want to be absorbed by Houston. They seem happy having their own identity. I can't comment on Beaumont.

Old 11-25-2019, 09:18 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,525,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
I doubt College Station would want to be absorbed by Houston. They seem happy having their own identity. I can't comment on Beaumont.
I don't think it would change anything though. It's not like being annexed by Houston.

Old 11-25-2019, 01:55 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,456,974 times
Quote:

......uhh..It's been like that as long as I can remember.

Old 11-25-2019, 03:11 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,845,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
......uhh..It's been like that as long as I can remember.
I know right. I’m just puzzled how Bryan/College Station a town in central Texas and a place an 1:30 minutes away from Houston will magically appear in Houston MSA. BCS has it own economic engine called Texas A&M University. On top of that Waller County is still vastly undeveloped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas