Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 12:59 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post
You operate from multiple false premises. The Super Bowl was not a "disaster." It is unfortunate that we had the ice and snow, but, without the weather, the only misfortune was Jerry's mistake of trying to sell seats that were not properly fastened.

The Super Bowl WILL return to North Texas, probably before it returns to Houston. Which brings me to another point: If the Houston SB was so successful, why has it not hosted another game? Why has there been no talk of Houston being added to the rotation, as was mentioned for Jerry World? Actually, I think the incident most remembered about your SB is the infamous wardrobe malfunction.

Lastly, I was actually in Houston visiting during the SB weekend. Your single rail line had just opened. My friend and I decided to go downtown to get a feel for the action. What a mistake.

We were surrounded by 50,000 "fans," most of whom were in the process of tossing their beer bottles on the pavement. I never saw so much broken glass. The street was completely strewn with glass shards. The crowd was so scary that we decided to get out of the area as fast as possible, but not before making the mistake of riding the rail line. It was jammed to well over capacity, everyone packed in like sardines.

We were well happy to get out of there and back to the safety of his home.
You make it too easy.

I'm not talking about the weather. The events during the Super Bowl in North Texas were so spread out that even if it were sunny the whole time, it still would have been bad. You had the NFC team in Irving, AFC team in Fort Worth, media in Downtown Dallas, Grapevine hosted something else, Texas Motor Speedway was going to host something before it got canceled, etc. It was easily the most spread out Super Bowl in history. It's one thing to have to drive a good distance to get to the stadium on game day. It's another to have to travel all across the Metroplex everyday just to cover the teams in the Super Bowl.

Now, I don't know where you came up with the idea of Jerry World being in a Super Bowl rotation. Rodger Goodell has said nothing about having a rotation like the last commissioner. Houston hasn't hosted another because the small market teams were fighting with big market teams during that time (leading up to the lockout last year). Only teams with new stadiums (plus the Florida cities...as always) got Super Bowls. And why wouldn't Janet Jackson's boob being shown across the world being the most remembered event? Houston will always be infamous for being the location of that (plus the guy who ran onto the field after halftime and got tackled by some players).

I like how you say "your single rail line". That one rail line has more riders than any of DART's lines. Not to mention there are more under construction. Sounds like you two are just not good around a lot of people. The crowds were estimated to be around 200K people actually (looks like sour grapes when you put fans in quotations, haha). It was one big party in Downtown Houston. The city let people take their drinks from the bars/clubs and walk up and down Main Street (where there were free concerts). It was like a wide Bourbon. It was all clean by Monday morning.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:28 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,056,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Well, someone in Houston could say Dallas has nothing like the 610 Loop, or the Katy Freeway, or Southwest Freeway. There is not a single view in Dallas that beats the ramp going from the Westpark Tollway to 59 North. You see Downtown, Uptown, TMC, and all other little clusters around the loop, in one shot.
I haven't spent much time in Houston, but I think I can safely say that there's no single point from which you can see the downtowns of two large cities like here.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:41 PM

875 posts, read 1,661,656 times
Quote:
Well, someone in Houston could say Dallas has nothing like the 610 Loop, or the Katy Freeway, or Southwest Freeway. There is not a single view in Dallas that beats the ramp going from the Westpark Tollway to 59 North. You see Downtown, Uptown, TMC, and all other little clusters around the loop, in one shot.
Also going to Downtown from the Webster/ Clear Lake area. There is a on ramp that will take you on the Sam Houston Tollway going West. If you are on that ramp and look to the right you will see all of the skylines in Houston. That to me is the best view of the city.

Also on I10 coming in East from Beaumont or West from San Antonio has great views and on 90 coming in from Crosby has a nice view of DT too.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:52 PM

998 posts, read 1,325,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post
You operate from multiple false premises. The Super Bowl was not a "disaster." It is unfortunate that we had the ice and snow, but, without the weather, the only misfortune was Jerry's mistake of trying to sell seats that were not properly fastened.

The Super Bowl WILL return to North Texas, probably before it returns to Houston. Which brings me to another point: If the Houston SB was so successful, why has it not hosted another game? Why has there been no talk of Houston being added to the rotation, as was mentioned for Jerry World? Actually, I think the incident most remembered about your SB is the infamous wardrobe malfunction.

Lastly, I was actually in Houston visiting during the SB weekend. Your single rail line had just opened. My friend and I decided to go downtown to get a feel for the action. What a mistake.

We were surrounded by 50,000 "fans," most of whom were in the process of tossing their beer bottles on the pavement. I never saw so much broken glass. The street was completely strewn with glass shards. The crowd was so scary that we decided to get out of the area as fast as possible, but not before making the mistake of riding the rail line. It was jammed to well over capacity, everyone packed in like sardines.

We were well happy to get out of there and back to the safety of his home.

The North Texas Superbowl, by all accounts, was a complete disaster from top to bottom and the weather was only a part of it. Dallas barely beat Indy (17-15)for its bid to host last years superbowl and after screwing up its one chance, I doubt it will receive consideration in the future.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:38 PM

659 posts, read 1,376,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
I haven't spent much time in Houston, but I think I can safely say that there's no single point from which you can see the downtowns of two large cities like here.
From the top of the Loop 610 bridge you can see the major skyline clusters in Houston. And that view completely (completely) trumps any views in DFW. Try it some time!

Old 02-23-2012, 02:55 PM

469 posts, read 886,593 times
I really hate most Houston posters.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:00 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,056,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
From the top of the Loop 610 bridge you can see the major skyline clusters in Houston. And that view completely (completely) trumps any views in DFW. Try it some time!
Which bridge? I may try it next time I'm that way.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:16 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,947,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
No, they sweep them under I-30...
When you actually think about it there's clusters of trashy neighborhoods all over the city. I've seen some ghetto neighborhoods in North Dallas. It really depends on what area you live in. For Example the Kessler Park area of Oak Cliff is very nice but the area around the Dallas Zoo in Oak Cliff is horrible. I hate when people think everything South of 30 is the ghetto. That's totally not the truth.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:19 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,947,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
The North Texas Superbowl, by all accounts, was a complete disaster from top to bottom and the weather was only a part of it. Dallas barely beat Indy (17-15)for its bid to host last years superbowl and after screwing up its one chance, I doubt it will receive consideration in the future.
If that's a part of it, then name the rest. The weather is the only thing I can think of. It's not our fault that the weather was crappy, that's something we can't control.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:17 PM

922 posts, read 1,698,497 times
Quote:
It was easily the most spread out Super Bowl in history.

ESPN.com: Page 2 : Escape from Jacksonville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas